• coryhendetta - August 19, 2012 6:24 p.m.

Come on man. Only one Paper Mario boss? Super Paper Mario alone had a huge amount of memorable boss fights; Francis suddenly jerked you into a weird dating sim for the first half of the fight, and the Underchomp, which out of nowhere transports you into an old Dragon Quest-style turn-based battle.
  • TheFabricOfTime - August 18, 2012 11:23 a.m.

I thought the Bowser from 3D Land was a bit too easy. All you had to do was jump around him.
  • shawksta - August 19, 2012 8:01 a.m.

If you recall, they were all fake bowsers, they are talking specifically about the final Battle where Bowser does everything he can from stopping you and it was hard.
  • Churchy99 - August 18, 2012 10:36 a.m.

For me, Super Mario 64 needs to be on this list. As many have said, Bowser was made into a huge size and you could only grab his tail. The last boss fight was supremely epic with the soundtrack too. Apart from that I'd put on quite a few boss fights from Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, but especially Rawk Hawk. He is one of the most underused characters in the Mario universe! FEEL THE RAWK!
  • KA87 - August 18, 2012 6:30 a.m.

I personally think the final bosses fight with Bowser from Super Mario 64 should have been on here. The only place that you can touch him and not get hurt is his tail and then you have to toss him into floating mines to hurt him. It was really hard to release him at the right moment so that he would hit the mine. Plus it got harder after each mine.
  • zombi3grim - August 18, 2012 6:27 a.m.

NO bosses from Super Mario RPG? What is this heresy!
  • oryanbelt - August 18, 2012 8:19 a.m.

^ this!!!!
  • Godzillarex - August 18, 2012 12:04 a.m.

Awesome! Raphael and Wario are my favorites from your list. I think the fight with Bowser at the end of Yoshi's Island was also extremely well designed. The way it turned into a pseudo 3-D level was very impressive for it's time, and I've never forgotten it. I'm a huge fan of Super Mario RPG as well. The fact that Culex was an optional boss because he was so damned hard to beat definitely made conquering him all the more memorable and satisfying.
  • Godzillarex - August 18, 2012 12:01 a.m.

Great pics! Raphael and Wario are my top pics from your list. I think the fight with Bowser at the end of Yoshi's Island was also extremely well designed. The way it turned into a pseudo 3-D level was very impressive for it's time, and I've never forgotten it. I'm a huge fan of Super Mario RPG as well. The fact that Culex was an optional boss because he was so damned hard to beat definitely made conquering him all the more memorable and satisfying.
  • Godzillarex - August 18, 2012 12:05 a.m.

• FOZ - August 17, 2012 10 p.m.

I despise Major Burrows. I think I've had to fight him twice with only 1 health across both Mario Galaxy games.
  • Hobogonigal - August 17, 2012 9:59 p.m.

I have to agree with many other commenters, phantamanta surely was the most horrible boss in Super Mario Sunshine. Damn it was so hard to clear that level, it took me forever and I will never forget has difficult it was. I also agree that Phanto was super-scary as well. The masks were in Super Mario Advance and when I was younger I simply couldn't get past them because they made me so scared, the adrenaline would cause me to stuff up. King Whomp, I always used to call him King Toastie. I think it was because he reminded me of a big slice of toast, strange but true... To finish, whilst Super Mario Galaxy's bosses were great with sense of scale and art design, they were super easy. I think the only time I had trouble with a boss on that game was the cosmic comet challenge of the Big Boo with rock hands. It was a great game with a few difficult levels, just not many difficult bosses.
  • ThatFanInThePeacoat - August 17, 2012 7:57 p.m.

After beating Phantamanta I did not feel the same level of satisfaction of beating a boss until I played Dark Souls years later. Petey Piranha was also a cool in Sunshine. He had a cool introduction and method of beating him, but I understand why he wasn't on the list since he was an easy first boss.
  • talleyXIV - August 17, 2012 7:10 p.m.

Phanto... scared the living fuck out of me.
  • BallisticGE0RGE - August 17, 2012 7:07 p.m.

Bowser from Mario 64 was always a fun boss fight. Faking him out, dodging his attacks, and then grabbing him from the tail to throw him. THAT was awesome. Never again have I had a more fulfilling boss mission. Except maybe portal.
  • LBD_Nytetrayn - August 17, 2012 5:37 p.m.

...the first entry on your list of Mario boss fights isn't even a boss fight?