• nemesisuprising - June 29, 2011 11:19 p.m.

got this game a while back...I wanna play it through a few more times tho hahaha, in the end though, in my opinion, as long as you dont let the negatives blind you, you will see one of the best games to come out in recent years ever...it truly deserves a sequel...and post a review please haha
  • Lando81 - June 29, 2011 11:08 p.m.

Just when I was wondering to myself why I hadn't read any articles from GRUK, this came along and reminded me why.
  • Glides - June 29, 2011 11:02 p.m.

Who puts crappy controls in a game on purpose? You are right in saying that today's horror games are more like modern FPSs, but I don't agree with you about the controls. Other than that, I can't get this game since I only have a PS3, but this is a great and well thought out article.
  • RonnyLive19881 - June 29, 2011 10:30 p.m.

TheoneandonlyPym: LMAO It's either in the jail area or the shooting range.
  • Psylockerules - June 29, 2011 10:26 p.m.

wow this does look quite excellent, having just recently finished twin peaks i think ill be picking this and Alan wake up. thanks Houghton :P
  • eliguy83 - June 29, 2011 10:09 p.m.

I got DP (heh...) way back when, after seeing it here on GR somewhere. I didn't make it past the first hour or so, more because I was busy with other stuff. But every time I see another YouTube clip it makes me want to go back. So does this article. As a bonus, it really makes me want to rewatch Twin Peaks as well. I must be in the mood for a little mindfucking.
  • Fiirestorm21 - June 29, 2011 7:26 p.m.

Wow... I'm going to have to give this a shot, now.
  • tayls - June 29, 2011 7:06 p.m.

I'd have to agree that this game is absolutely worth playing. After Giant Bomb's Endurance Run, I immediately picked it up and began playing it. It's funny how the production value goes from about $100 for the majority of the game to infinitely more towards the end. It also gets crazy and dark...which is always good. I'm glad to see it getting some love here!
  • QWERTYCommander - June 29, 2011 7:04 p.m.

At least this is coming from David and not that dumbtit who wrote all that bullshit about Portal 2. I might get this.
  • maxmorrow - June 29, 2011 6:53 p.m.

@Errrrbo Yes, fans of DP (and I include myself among them) do tend to use a bit of hyperbole when talking about it. I suspect that it occurs as a reaction to the equally irritating "DP is the worst game ever made" (which frequently but certainly not always come from people who have based their opinions on videos or and/or a bare minimum of gameplay). It's a divisive topic, and there are bound to be extremists on both sides, of course. For me, I'm not as comfortable saying it's one of the *best* games that I've played as I am noting that DP is one of my *favorite* games that I've ever played, if that makes sense.
  • Mooshon - June 29, 2011 6:33 p.m.

That's a very well written thesis there Dave. Passionate but intelligent and constructive. My interest has been well and truly tweaked so this will be my next game. Fingers crossed, I'm going in...
  • SerpentineZERO - June 29, 2011 6:22 p.m.

This is a great write up. I've had Deadly Premonition for months but i have yet to start it. I have to be in the mood to want to, though, but i think this article may have been enough.
  • SuspendedIrrelevance - June 29, 2011 6:07 p.m.

I hate you, David. You've suddenly made me all excited about this game, since it seems to do all the things I'd love about it (I've recently taking a liking to Two Worlds II as a decent but very sloppy Oblivion wannabe, so I'm more open to this kinda stuff now). I go to search it... and it's painfully difficult to get on PS3 =( Hopefully this growing fan following is enough to give it a proper western release a la Demon's Souls! Until then, during summer I'm starting GTA IV over (never finished it), taking the time to soak in its oodles and poodles of culture and depth between missions.
  • xlyesterdaylx - June 29, 2011 6:01 p.m.

Never actually played it, but watched giantbomb play it. it was definitely an interesting game.
  • scsmith1 - June 29, 2011 5:45 p.m.

I picked it up a few weeks back based on articles like this. It's definitely a quirky, odd little game. Apparently hard to get in some places, so if you see a copy grab it before it's gone.
  • kor2disturbed - June 29, 2011 5:05 p.m.

Well, thank you there's no doubt I'm getting this now.
  • crumbdunky - June 29, 2011 5:02 p.m.

I'm just not mneant to play some games. I remembewr being ripped off TWICE trying to import Demon's Sou.ls in the days before we knew it was coming to the UK and DP/RS has been pretty much the same. I tried to grab a Japanese copy off Ebay the other month(after none of our local game shops getting a copy of DP in the past year and i wasn't getting a lecture about how crap it is from a Game manager again and ordering it!)but the guy just closed the auction on me at the last minute with no explanation. Been on my rental list at Love film since the day it released too and I no longer even believe they HAVE a copy. I'm going to Manchester next week so if I can't pick up either version(I'd prefer the PS3 import if I'm buying to be honest as you can, I'm told, download a PDA of the item descriptions from somewhere and that's about the only thing not available in English)I'm declaring it cursed.
  • GhostLightning - June 29, 2011 4:41 p.m.

I personally disagree strongly. I didn't like this game. Played it at my brother's house and never got a taste for more. Everyone likes what they like, but for me this is certainly no GTA.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - June 29, 2011 4:30 p.m.

Definitely. Moreso than that, once the story, world and characters take hole you won't even notice any of the things you saw as issues at the start.
  • nathstyles - June 29, 2011 4:25 p.m.

i meant to actually ask the question to make my mind up - is the story really rewarding enough to justify putting up with the frustrating controls/camera/dialogue etc? - im in two minds here (pun absolutely intended)