• Tobio - February 10, 2011 9:18 p.m.

Agree with the "NO WAY IPHONE IS A GAMING DEVICE"-comments. Full touch just doesn't work for many games and there's like one in a million games on these phones that are actually good. I'll weep when a future with phones as the only handhelds exists... WEEP I SAY!! BTW: no...
  • mackshizzle - February 10, 2011 9:15 p.m.

I hate when simple flash games on a phone automatically make it a gaming system. The industry used to be a bit more focused on fun, but now its all about money. Now that the more casual masses can be pleased with cheap shit, nobody will want to make decent games anymore. Gaming has come too far to make a rebound like it did after the crash. If it fails now, it's over.
  • TheCakeIsaPie - February 10, 2011 9:07 p.m.

I hate the idea of smartphones. I want a phone that makes phone calls, and a gaming platform that plays games. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that the PSP can surf the web and play music and videos, etc., but I don't want a future where nothing is specially suited for one thing. Where's the heart? Where's the love?
  • jpbr139 - February 10, 2011 8:46 p.m.

That's not true, I don't want everything in one device, I love my handheld console that only plays videogames. Also, NOOOOOOOO!!!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! The iphone and ipad are NOT videogame consoles. I don't want that future.
  • Aletheon - February 10, 2011 8:31 p.m.

One size fits all is not creative. I love my dedicated devices. Interesting how people are so much like lemmings nowadays, always ready to trade originality, creativity and imagination for some universal solution. FAIL THE FUTURE
  • ultimatepunchrod - February 10, 2011 8:27 p.m.

well the psp2 will have multiple functionality like the ipod touch does so maybe the future's not as bleak as this. idk motion games and phone games are the future...right? RIGHT?!
  • moncealyo - February 10, 2011 8:24 p.m.

I don't think carmack understands little kids. Some of them can barely handle a ds. I have seen kids with ipod touch and all they want to do is play the games. Many parents don't want there kids to have a phone or internet access via a portable game system. While I believe the you will be able to access the internet through the 3ds I think nintendo will continue to do well in the portable gaming market.
  • db1331 - February 10, 2011 8:20 p.m.

"With the iPhone and Android becoming viable gaming platforms" LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL This is just like N-Gage all over again. Side-talkin' while you "game". Yes, I'm sure Nintendo will stop making dedicated gaming handhelds after the 3DS, because they hate making hundreds of millions of dollars. Carmack: "I think the iPhone is the future because I made a shitty rail shooter for it with graphics that are slightly better than the Wii"
  • Scoob - February 10, 2011 8:08 p.m.

I couldn't see wanting a touch screen for 100% of my games though. Nor do I want a phone as huge as either a DS or PSP. Mind you, most portable games I like playing have simple controls. I really don't care to play heavy action oriented games on hand helds, that is what I use my Xbox 360 or PC for.
  • Letter11 - February 10, 2011 8:07 p.m.

I really don't like the idea of this but I must admit his arguments are valid. I just worry that with the greater exposure that comes from more people owning these multifunction devices there will be an overwhelming tendency for shovelware game production. And this will lead to less of the deep experiences that gamers really want. Look at the broad appeal the Wii had. It's a dedicated gaming device true but the general consumer was easily duped by the massive amount of crappy games that I'm sure made a lot of profit. The temptation of easy money is too alluring. I think you guys here a GR also cement this argument. The fact that you guys post iphone/ipad game reviews as serious game journalists means that the rest of us (if we haven't already) will have to take them seriously too at some point. Sorry for the long post.
  • SecretGingerWizard - February 10, 2011 7:57 p.m.

I believe this is good news. I remember the days of having to carry around multiple different devices. It's good now that one can do everything, right?
  • bongzilla - February 10, 2011 7:56 p.m.

I fear the future