Topics

Nintendo

• shnazzyone - July 30, 2011 6:42 a.m.

We need paper mario, MGS3ds, animal crossing, a REAL resident evil Ect. Meanwhile, what's taking the third parties so long to drop some goodness. First they want no first party exclusives competing then they back out when they could be making a killing. WTF, give me some goodness konami, more then a port and a minigame capcom, Ubisoft!!! Get your thumbs out yer asses! Pop on some assassins creed... and where the F@#$ is square?!?! The hardware is freaking slick... DO SOMETHING WITH IT!!!
  • batmanboy11 - July 30, 2011 1:09 a.m.

This may be bad for Nintendo, but $250 was too damn much in the first place. Still, hopefully sales pick up after the price cut. The "Ambassador Program" thing is cool of them at least.
  • Red - July 30, 2011 12:47 a.m.

Soon as I heard about the price cut I thought, "Well there's a red flag." I blame it on the fact that the 3DS induces migraines in a lot of people, and therefore is causing a lot of bad PR. In a way this is good for me because I'm poor, and I wouldn't mind picking one of these up to play a remastered version of OoT when the price is just right.
  • brandonbyerly - July 29, 2011 11:24 p.m.

@DecoyOctorok I don't want to fully bash the big N because the wii has stole a many of hours from me with its great games but that is where part of the problem lies is in the games. most of them are shovel ware. the lack of full on third party support and part of that is nintendo's fault because 1) nintendo did not produce a console that was graphically on par with ps3 and 360. 2) the lack of online functionality and community robbed fans from big shooter experiences like cod and battlefield. also with online sports like madden and mlb 2k series. I'm not fanboying those i.p.'s just using them as an example. I want Nintendo to stop being arrogant. its not a compromise, more like a smart business move for nintendo if they would produce a graphically top of the line console with a decent hard drive to allow third party games room to grow with their dlc. offer blu-ray playback or at least dvd playback, and at least give players an option of playing with a standard controller instead of forcing the tacked on gimmick motion control crap on games that are better served with out it then there would be no more sony ps3 or microsoft xbox 360 because Nintendo would be king again. they already have the first party i.p.'s to do it. To see Nintendo king of the home consoles again would be awesome but after the n64,gamecube,and wii i just want nintendo to just stop making home consoles all together or make a console that would leave no reason to have a microsoft or sony console in the house.
  • BurntToShreds - July 29, 2011 10:50 p.m.

Nintendo needs to start creating more games with innovative concepts rather than consoles with innovative concepts. New controllers can only get you so far.
  • d0x - July 29, 2011 9:26 p.m.

I dont think I've ever seen a system get a price cut this quickly. Even the ngage went longer and that thing sold like 10 units! I think in the long run this is a good thing. Even if you dont like 3d this is Nintendos new handheld and its more powerful than the older system. You can easily shut 3d off and play just as you always did. The price cut is going to entice alot of people to buy in. Im seriously considering it now myself and I was planning on waiting for both a price cut and a hardware revision. I really want to play Zelda. Thats my primary reason for wanting this thing but I know once I actually get one there will be more that ill buy than just that. So IMO its a risky move by Nintendo but I think it will pay off in the long run for them and it will pay off for gamers right away.
  • Aletheon - July 29, 2011 7:26 p.m.

STFU. i'm done with this website, as well as a couple others. I'm so sick of Trolling in Journalism. Everything that happens with Nintendo is the END OF THE WORLD. Nice try being a Jim Sterling wannabe by the way. There is only room for one douche of that magnitude.
  • OmgBBQ - July 29, 2011 7:21 p.m.

I'm sorry, Nintendo. I still don't care. I have a regular DS Lite, and untill you get a good, brand-new Pokemon title with 150 new pokemon on that sustem alone, I still won't care... ><
  • ReasonableFanboy - July 29, 2011 6:43 p.m.

Everybody is still expecting an upgrade, and what Nintendo needs to see is that sales won't pick up until they bite the bullet and give the 3DS a better battery. I'm in that camp because, as tempting as that new price point is, it's still hard to give a shit about a console with hardware failings if the software library is also lacking. It's a true shame though. I just hope Nintendo doesn't take this as a sign that the hardcore market is unreliable after these past few years, since it seems that's who the handheld was aimed at.
  • DecoyOctorok - July 29, 2011 6:39 p.m.

It seems like the 3DS was released too early. Nintendo got too cocky and figured that it would sell based on the concept alone. It's definitely possible for it to succeed though. The original DS was released at the end of 2004 but sales didn't really skyrocket until the DS lite came out in 2006.
  • Spacegrass - July 29, 2011 6:27 p.m.

I really don't know how people get to run major corporations when they're this dumb. So, your gimmicky system isn't selling well, and your solution is to...refuse to sell your best games? I've seen a few comments suggesting that Nintendo should get out of the hardware game, and it looks like they may be right. They've already made a handheld that no one wants, and it looks like Wii U is doomed to go the way of the Dreamcast; they're following Sega's footsteps pretty well. Also, some of these comments have mentioned Luigi's Mansion 3d, to which I say: Really? Do you really think anyone who isn't a diehard Nintendo fanboy wants to play another game about Luigi sucking some ghosts?
  • DecoyOctorok - July 29, 2011 6:25 p.m.

@brandonbyerly Hopefully that will never happen. I'll never fully understand the hatred for the Wii. You got two of the best Mario games ever made for one thing. All of their major franchises were well represented with good games and there were some great original IPs. On top of that, the Virtual Console and Wii store had some pretty good offereings. How exactly did Nintendo let the fanbase down?
  • Rowdie - July 29, 2011 6:05 p.m.

I think it's the idevices and such that are taking over the handheld market. Everyone I know that would fall into the standard Nintendo customer is asking for some kind of idevice instead. Right off the top of my head I know 6 people that would have been all over the 3ds but each of them has instead bought or recieved some other portable device to fill that niche. Some iphones, a Touch and some other droid or some odd thing.
  • Spacegrass - July 29, 2011 5:46 p.m.

@kassmageant No, you're not the only one who doesn't care about N64 ports. Why should I pay full price for a game I already bought 15 years ago?
  • brandonbyerly - July 29, 2011 4:56 p.m.

I've always loved nintendo but the past few years ive been thinking, maybe it would be cool if nintendo became just a 3rd party developer/publisher. I know some might say thats blasphemy but if it means i can have metroid prime with a real fps controller config and have mario galaxy without forcing me to use tacked on motion controls that are pointless (waggle..... Come on nintendo, really?????) then i say i hope nintendo will stop making consoles and just make games for real consoles that believe in online gaming and what the consumer wants and not wasting resources on gimmicks that only soccer moms and grandmas will enjoy. Stop pissing on your fanbase nintendo!!!!!
  • Odpaterson - July 29, 2011 3:30 p.m.

@BigKingBud - Well that was a grown-up comment now, wasn't it? Moving on... Personally, if I didn't have more important things to spend my money on (food, rent, beer, my degree, etc) I'd be all over this. I'd love to play Zelda, and I can't wait for some of the games in that line-up. I think there are probably a lot more people in my situation. And actually now I think of it, if I had a 3DS worth of money lying about, I'd probably just rather spend on some of the incredible games for systems I already have. Nintendo is a bit of a disaster at the moment at the moment. And I totally blame their obsession with the casual market for it.
  • jimmdogg - July 29, 2011 3:26 p.m.

It's ridiculous that they can cut $80 from the price so soon after launch. Just goes to show how hard they were sticking it to us with the initial price.
  • grantula53 - July 29, 2011 3:21 p.m.

ok, this is what i hope for...all nintendos sales depend on zelda, mario, samus, etc. But what about a new character to define the new generation? Mario is great and all, but for over a decade, nintendo just depends on games spun off from classic characters that made them what they are. We can all predict new games from nintendo - new mario kart, new zelda, new metroid in 3D...but i really think nintendo should throw some new material on the table. Microsoft and Sony both are churning out new action-inspired characters that are new and fresh, while nintendo keeps using the same old cartoony characters. I WANT TO SEE A NEW CARTOONY CHARACTER! Someone that uniquely defines the 3DS, and makes buyers want to buy. Keep using mario and others, but don't just rely on them. Mario needs a nap.
  • thefreakysurgeon - July 29, 2011 2:24 p.m.

no matter what, when the first party games all get released, Nintendo will get pulled back up to "happy times" again.
  • kassmageant - July 29, 2011 2:13 p.m.

First of all - i don't hate nintendo. i had gameboy mono, advance, and now ds lite which i still play a lot. but C'MON, i refuse to believe that some of you honestly believe situation is the same as it was during inital phase of battle between DS and PSP. 1. when ds was announced people well like " wha...?", when 3ds was revealed at E3 2010, it induced spontanous orgasms to every journalist who touched it 2. smartphones happened 3. this time, sony offering have the upper hand in terms of new " tools" for enchancing gameplay - two touch screens, better network capabilities, TWO FRICKIN ANALOGS 4. Nintendo shoot itself in the foot with a habit of reinventing the same handheld over and over and Over again - many people - myself included - know that better 3ds model Will happen - so why bother now when there are no games? 5. 3D is a gimmick. It's not like when DS introduced touch screen - people didn't knew if they want it, because they didn't knew what they can expect from it in terms of gameplay. We know how it played out - amount of excellent titles on DS is insane. But with 3d it's diffrent. We can know what to expect - SHIT WILL JUMP AT YOU FROM THE SCREEN. that's all. and, on the side note - am i the only one who don't give a flying shit about N64 ports? to be honest i want to see ATLUS support, that's all i need ( yeah i know about devil suvivor - but i played that on DS!) and by the way - what happened to that wright/layton crossover?!