Topics

SOPA

• ACGUY - January 18, 2012 7:09 p.m.

As you know even though your Australian lol and this would lightly affect you SOPA is a big threat and one of their big supporters is ESA which effectively speaks for all gamers. But all gamers don't want SOPA to pass and with ESA supporting it our true opinion goes unnoticed! Which is why screwattack is starting a movement as you may already heard urging gaming news sites and gamers not to attend or cover this years E3 until ESA changes their stance on SOPA. Because if you are truly against SOPA then why are you still supporting SOPA by going to ESA's event? Go here for more info about it and the download link to full detail about SOPA's devestating effects! I'm not affiliated with screwattack, but I agree with and support their movement for the gaming and internets community and even all of America!http://www.screwattack.com/shows/originals/hard-news/hard-news-011812 SPREAD THE WORD TO ALL SITES! LET US GAMERS MAKE A STAND!
  • haxxoromg - January 18, 2012 6:29 p.m.

sad that this crap even got this far. i remember the entire internet community lmfao'ing when it was first announced: there was no fucking way in hell such an outrageous and ridiculous act that so completely restricts freedom of speech could possibly be passed-this shit would never become reality isnt it supposed to be restricted to dystopic sci fi novels? and now look where we are with PIPA possibly passing next week...
  • profile0000 - January 18, 2012 6:26 p.m.

Out of pure curiousity, I got to ask: Did anyone else read the actual legislation(s) like me?
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - January 18, 2012 7:55 p.m.

Hahaha what are you, stupid? LOLOLOL jk, but nope. Just kinda blindly following on this one. I personally think everyone's sort of over exaggerating. If anyone were to be accused, they could try to appeal it. But I'm also worried about how it might make already tensed companies even more so. I've already had Google pull their ads from my site twice simply because I discuss music and movies. I had to actually get a human from Google (Which I didn't think existed) to review my site and to see that I strongly encourage people to buy their media through my Amazon links (Commission!). Shameless Plug= Mediamongrel.net
  • killemall - January 23, 2012 1:17 p.m.

yes, and my problem with it is that it is such a broad piece of work. it expects people to take the higher road and not abuse the law which as we've seen with the homeland security act and the housing bubble burst companies cannot be trusted with such open wording. i look at things like our icons most of which could be considered copyright violations and know that eventually they could shut sites like this one down for days if not weeks at a time until they can prove that the owners of the site are not breaking the law. this law makes websites guilty until proven innocent. Its such a ham fisted attempt to corral a problem that it endangers the people who don't break the law and punishes them as well.
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - January 23, 2012 2 p.m.

Yeah, if we could trust companies to not play dirty, or if the reviewing body who decides which complaints are legit had infinite workers and resources, it might have worked. But trusting companies to take the high road isn't really a thing.
  • santaclouse37 - January 18, 2012 5:56 p.m.

Thank you so much for participating in the protests today. It really seems like it's gone from a threat that was mostly being discussed among the internet and news-savvy to a universally known issue.
  • Rodon - January 18, 2012 5:11 p.m.

Yeah, any action to prevent these bills from passing would be much appreciated. One such action, as many others have said, is to not attend E3, since it's owned by the ESA, which supports these bills. At least, until they drop support of them.
  • Darth Olds - January 18, 2012 4:44 p.m.

Hey this is "Merica!" people. Land of ill-concieved, improperly thought out knee jerk reactions to solve problems that exist or don't exist it doesn't matter. If you don't like a law wait long enough and they'll make another one that nulls and voids it.
  • winner2 - January 18, 2012 4:41 p.m.

Snowball's chance in hell of it passing. By the way, is that old saying protected by copyright laws somewhere or anything? Oh wait, silly me, I don't care. Btw, this article made my day, brilliant and hilarious Mr. Houghton
  • Y2Ken - January 18, 2012 4:22 p.m.

Good article, Dave. This is definitely something worth making sure people know about. Good to see so many high-profile websites and people backing the initiative.
  • Larry Legdrop - January 18, 2012 3:10 p.m.

You all do know that SOPA,and PIPA in spanish similarly sounds like SUCK(SUPRA) and DICK(PEEPEE) right?,kind of ironic.
  • rokerroker45 - January 18, 2012 8:36 p.m.

Except... it's not. At least not that I'm aware of. We don't use those words where I live so I might be wrong. SOPA sounds like spanish for soup, not "chupar" which is suck. PIPA means "pipe". Also, "pipi" doesn't mean dick, it means urine.
  • Larry Legdrop - January 18, 2012 10:54 p.m.

"similarly" my friend,similarly.
  • h8ful - January 18, 2012 3:07 p.m.

Man, I was all ready to sign a petition and get angry, but then they told me my vote doesn't count because I'm in Canada... Good luck though! If it happens in the States, Canada will sure as shit follow.
  • essiy - January 18, 2012 5:18 p.m.

As a fellow Canadian I'd love to say I don't agree with your statement, but the fact is, you're right. I know quite a few government workers who say that a similar bill is in the works here too. We'd be able to fight it if that happens but it wouldn't do any good, the damage would be done by that point.
  • MidianGTX - January 18, 2012 6:53 p.m.

There are numerous votes you can sign from outside the US. I don't have the links to hand so admittedly this probably isn't helping much, but I'm in the UK and I've signed three.
  • HawtKakez - January 18, 2012 2:57 p.m.

Hey gamesradar, could you kind of, sort of, maybe, possibly, if at all possible, somewhat, slightly, if you can, maybe not go or cover anything at E3 until ESA changes their stance? Yeah, that would be great if you could do that. Yeah, welp, have fun at work.
  • YamiLink03 - January 18, 2012 2:47 p.m.

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH. To hell with SOPA.
  • Cyberninja - January 18, 2012 4:21 p.m.

TTGL nice touch it is appropriate here.