• brickman409 - February 18, 2014 9:33 p.m.

Bioshock 2 wasn't made by Irrational, and that turned out pretty good. (or at least I thought so)
  • db1331 - February 19, 2014 5:37 a.m.

It was way better than Infinite. Infinite was a bad game. Horribly overhyped. I only paid like $16 for it, and I still feel ripped off. This is coming from a guy who still holds the original BioShock as one of his all time favorite games.
  • Vonter - February 19, 2014 12:47 p.m.

I agree, I wanted to experience the story but the core gameplay feels more boring than previous Bioshock games. I suppose to appeal to the larger demographic.
  • rcarrasco121 - February 18, 2014 7:41 p.m.

BioShock Infinite was such a special experience for me. I love games like Braid and Thomas Was Alone, but I don't want to see Ken Levine doing things like that. Honestly, this makes me very sad. He threw away what most artists would kill for.
  • Doctalen - February 18, 2014 6:33 p.m.

I'm taking this as bad news. I understand and respect Levine's desire to create games because he wants to create them his way. But laying off an entire studio minus a select few doesn't seem like the way to do it. But I also dislike that Levine is leaning towards an indie game. I'm under the impression that if a developer/studio/person wants to craft a game to tell a story or message then the game should be crafted like a strong novel. It should have character development and interesting characters with flaws that aren't thrown in to make the character seem human. It should also have a well written plot that's been edited or even redone a few times so that it makes sense and creates an impact on the reader. Indie games I feel are like coffee shop paintings. They look neat, they may even send a message but they just don't have that impact a novel does when telling a story.
  • brickman409 - February 18, 2014 9:30 p.m.

you don't need a big budget to make a great story. All you need is imagination. Okay, I'll admit that's kind of cliche, but I mean you never hear about novels having big budgets.
  • GenderBender_9000 - February 18, 2014 6:16 p.m.

Why anyone would want to be a game developer is beyond me. There's absolutely no job security. You could make a successful game and get laid off the next day, with little to no warning.
  • supergiraffe - February 18, 2014 5:21 p.m.

I'm torn, on one hand it really sucks for all those people, and that we'll probably never get a real Bioshock again, but I am interested to see what will come of this. I'm all for letting cool devs make sweet games how they want.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - February 18, 2014 5:14 p.m.

This is sad. I'm worried about the future of Bioshock without Ken Levine behind it. I also don't understand why he would fire most his staff but still let 2K publish him, unless it's really that hard to complete his projects.
  • Redeater - February 18, 2014 4:10 p.m.

I say give it back to 2k Marin. BioShock 2 was sheer perfection from a gameplay standpoint and they more than proved they are story capable with the excellent Minerva's Den.
  • Outofmanyone - February 18, 2014 3:37 p.m.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the new Bioshock--the first one is still the best in my mind--but I still have respect for the game. There's no doubt that the art, music and story were well thought out and I hope those individuals continue to make a positive impact on the gaming industry. The gameplay/programming aspect of the game is what could have been refined more but I'm sure that wouldn't have helped boost sales. Sometimes, It's hard to say what makes a game sell..
  • ABACADA6494 - February 18, 2014 3:34 p.m.

So basically, Levine went "nah this whole AAA big budget stuff isn't what I want to do anymore" fired most of the employees of the company, closed shop and left a lot of people without a job all because he wanted to move on? While also not leaving Take-Two and going "indie"? I honestly just lot of respect for Levine, who I saw as a very down-to-earth, personable, and high-profile developer.
  • Redeater - February 18, 2014 4:08 p.m.

Yeah this seems to be the general consensus. I still don't like Cliffy B. but at least he took an honorable route. Seems like a shitty thing to do to people who busted their butt for you the last 4-5 years. He could have easily started up his own studio with 15 people instead of terminating almost all of his old team.
  • ABACADA6494 - February 18, 2014 4:12 p.m.

Exactly. Cliffy B, David Jaffe, and the others listed in the article left the studio they were at. Left the publisher they worked under, and created their own new independent studio. Whereas Levine was a bit of a dick.
  • TheSpazzo - February 18, 2014 5:11 p.m.

Except Levine's not pulling the rug out from under his people's feet like you seem to think he is. If either of you had bothered to read Levine's post, you'd see that he's doing as much as he can to make sure that everyone who's not those fifteen get to land on their feet, including allowing them access to the studio to assemble their portfolios as well as participating in a recruiting day where lots of third-party developers will get a pass at the people who made BioShock, BioShock. But it's just so much easier to rush into things with preconcieved notions, amitrite?
  • Redeater - February 18, 2014 5:27 p.m.

Actually I did read that. While it is some what admirable it still doesn't excuse the fact that he could have done what MANY high profile dev heads have done in the past. But its just so much easier to assume people haven't read the article and are senselessly bitching.....amirite? :D
  • TheSpazzo - February 18, 2014 5:43 p.m.

Given that gamers will whine and bitch like schoolgirls about pretty much anything, yeah.
  • ABACADA6494 - February 18, 2014 5:59 p.m.

While Levine isn't pulling the rug out from under his people's feet, he didn't even need to move the rug. He could have easily just left the developers without shutting the whole place down basically. Oh wow thats really generous of him letting people put together their portfolios and having access to the studio that he's closing because he moved on. I had no preconceived notions about the guy, as I said I respect his work and think he is a great guy. That just wasn't the best thing for him to do in my opinion. Irrational Games is based near Boston, Massachusetts which is a far ways away from a majority of developers. You have Turbine, who just unloaded a bunch of employees themselves and Harmonix nearby. Basically by closing the studio he left a lot of people out of a job, or having to move their entire lives to wherever it is that the next job brings them. That's a hell of a selfish move for one man to make because HE is done with making AAA games such as the Bioshock games.
  • TheSpazzo - February 18, 2014 6:22 p.m.

Levine does what Levine does. The guys at Irrational are smart, they'll figure something out. It's not like their skills are completely unmarketable. If you really had an issue with the way Levine does things, you'd figure out a way to contact him and give him shit for it.
  • TheVoid - February 19, 2014 3:53 p.m.

Although let's qualify this with "barring death threats to Ken Levine and/or his family, prank calls and other pathetic methods that continue to paint the gaming community as a bunch of entitled crybabies with no respect for other's opinions or justifiable decisions", lest someone get the wrong idea. ;)
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - February 19, 2014 6:20 a.m.

Because holding an impromptu job fair makes everyone happy! Its doubtful they're all going to get hired, and even for those that do, they'll be at a place they had no intention of being before Levine decided to make such a dick move. Its a lot easy being an apologist though, amirite?