• Darkhawk - December 23, 2011 6:33 a.m.

100% incorrect. Having played, and loved, Red Steel 2, I can confirm that 1:1 Star Wars style combat is doable, and fantastic. The keys to RS2: 1) It's not lightsaber exclusive, and integrating force pushes and gunshots is seamless. 2) Video game writers don't have sense of how much time they spend on gaming. Sure, an 8 hour jam session in the GR office might be hard on your Wii-arm, but for most gamers won't care.
  • Fizban - December 23, 2011 4:21 a.m.

Personally I think Nintendo have taken a step back with the Zelda games relying too much on motion control with the swordplay. Its still too imprecise to be of any real benefit and most of the time I find myself just flaying about wildly trying to get the right move to get past the defences. In my minds eye I'm doing an accurate cross strike or diagonal cut but that translates to something completely different on screen.
  • shawksta - December 23, 2011 7:51 a.m.

Thats your opinion, but in no way is Motion a step back from button mashing, like motion or not. Skyward adds more precision and better handling than twilights useless waggle. Male sure your using motion plus, and is using the controller's motion and not the sensor bar, people make that mistake especially a certain game reviewer whose review was under the water because of that mistake.
  • Fizban - December 23, 2011 9:02 a.m.

I agree with you, it's a lot better than Twilight and when it works, it works well. The slingshot, bow, Beetle, claw-shot and blowy thing all work very well (when you don't have to re-centre it) as does the shield bash, I just don't think they've yet got the swordplay right in fights. In other places where you need to use the sword (Goddess cubes, even the training room) you don't have the same problem. I don't particularly like button mashing either but I just believe it has to be implemented better, more accurately and more sympathetically. Oh and by the way, I'm using the Skyward Sword Motion Plus controller.
  • shawksta - December 23, 2011 10:08 a.m.

I agree, but I guess its how its implemented and how your suppose to use it,instead of free swinging, cause thats not how it goes apparently. The red Moblins for example, they block your first hit, then you swing on the opposite side, and Ghirahim's first battle teaching you to curve your sword to the other side and swing instead of swinging the other way with no sense. The learning curve is tricky, but it gets easier and better when you get it, I had troubles for an hour until I got it right, the Wiimote needs to be swung like a real sword and needs to be adjusted right instead of " LEFT RIGHT UP DOWN" without positioning.
  • talleyXIV - December 25, 2011 10:35 p.m.

I think it works well, and if you are inaccurate you really do need to work on it or fix your sensor bar because personally mine is working fantastically.
  • lilbuddha - December 23, 2011 4:04 a.m.

WELL HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO BECOME A MASTER JEDI IF I DON'T HAVE A 1:1 VIDEO GAME TRAINING ME TO BE ONE ? HMM ? HMM ? You are wrong and this article is wrong.
  • pr0tostar - December 23, 2011 2:50 a.m.

Gyah I'll ask for a lightsaber game everyday! And when I get it, I'll ask for a StarWars hairdresser game!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH-HAAAAHHH!!
  • CitizenWolfie - December 23, 2011 1:35 a.m.

"Oh, and there’s no feedback, either. Lightsaber battles are one percent hitting, 50 percent missing the enemy, and 49 percent clashing sabers. You’d have no saber to clash with. You’d just keep swinging, thus completely and utterly negating the point of the 1:1 battle to begin with. Unless rumble suddenly thtakes a generational leap forward and is so powerful that it honestly feels like you’re hitting something, you’d just swing your arm around like you’re playing Wii Music." ^^THIIIS!!!!^^ I found this was the problem way back when with Twilight Princess and I don't think it's really improved now we have motionplus and Skyward Sword. The fact Nintendo are saying they wouldn't go back to regular controls worries me a bit as the more the player is "becoming" Link, the less "Link" the character is becoming. My derping around pretending to be a swordsman makes Link look equally as inept on screen too.
  • Zeedar - December 23, 2011 1:31 a.m.

I have to agree here. It just doesn't work. Motion controlls will always seem like an unfulfilled promise. I think motion controls should never be used as the only means of control. I was on a gaming expo a week ago, and they had a presentation for just dance 2 (or some other dancing game, not sure) and they spent about 10 minutes trying to get through the menu. It was pathetic. Why can't they combine classsic control with motion? You do the moving, and fighting with the controller, but can do a force push with your hand (in a SW game), can shout a few words of power (in Skyrim), or some other creative stuff.
  • FOZ - December 22, 2011 11:57 p.m.

This article can be broken down into 2 points: 1. Motion controls make your arm tired: Bull. Maybe if you have anemia or you just got home from a job with a lot of heavy lifting you might have difficulty, but the average person will not. I played Red Steel 2 plenty, and had no difficulty whatsoever. Same with Skyward Sword. 2. No feedback. Makes sense. And we'll never have that. But it still doesn't make sense why no one made a lightsaber game. The game doesn't have to revolve around obligatory lightsaber duels. If anything, that would give them greater motivation to focus on that it's a LIGHTSABER. It cuts through anything but another lightsaber. And surely somebody could find some interesting gameplay concepts for this.
  • ItBurnsWhenIWii - December 22, 2011 11:07 p.m.

Plastic lightsaber battles are always fun until you fail to block and get whacked on the arm. :(
  • psycho ninja 4 - December 22, 2011 10:57 p.m.

All i really want is another Star Wars game like Battlefront or KOTOR.
  • avantguardian - December 22, 2011 10:24 p.m.

i agree, it's a fantasy that's probably always going to be better in the confines of one's imagination. what we REALLY need is another star wars game where lightsabers actually work like lightsabers (the irony of that statement is not lost on me;). force unleashed 1 & 2 were doomed from the start as soon as you saw it take 10 hits with your saber to kill a stormtrooper. it doesn't have to be a new jedi knight, but, i want some cauterization dammit!
  • hester2 - December 22, 2011 9:48 p.m.

Screw going to the store, just get some PVC pipe or something like that. A few years back when I was in college, we took down the metal rods in our closets for sword fights. Sure, we got bruises, but we played for keeps. Come the 2012 zombie apocalypse, we will be the masters at sword fighting with the anarchists and raiders.
  • brizzie - December 22, 2011 10:13 p.m.

Wheres the "love" button?
  • MassSaber - December 22, 2011 9:46 p.m.

Plastic saber duels are well fun failing that torches also work It should also be noted that Jedi & Sith have the advantage of the force buffing their stamina and endurance, the average person does not and probly no where near as fit as either
  • BackwaterRifle - December 22, 2011 9:09 p.m.

I completely agree.
  • evilpacman18 - December 22, 2011 9:08 p.m.

Screw your logic, I wanna be Darth Vader