• D0CCON - January 20, 2012 6:16 p.m.

I feel like I'm at the exact same skill level as the writer. Normal often times is too easy and hard can be a pain. Personally, I wish all games had difficulty that felt like a Halo campaign on Heroic and that would be about what normal was. It was certainly possible and rarely frustrating while never being too easy. Actually, I've found that when a game offers four difficulty options, the second hardest one usually feels the best.
  • avantguardian - January 21, 2012 4:22 p.m.

i think if you did a poll of those that frequent this website, the vast majority would agree with you. it's actually quite perplexing that the four tiered difficulty model hasn't just become an industry standard (with, of course, room for extremes on the periphery a la dark souls and kirby).
  • azureguy - January 20, 2012 5:58 p.m.

I've played inFamous myself and I agree with the final boss - quite a suddeun rise in difficulty. Then again, the game only has two other real boss fight, and neither of those will "train" you to be prepared for the last boss. I think the Japanese did a great job at difficulty balancing in their past games, especially Capcom. I remember Devil May Cry 3 to be very well-balanced (note: I played the Special Edition only). And of course, who could forget the Mega Man games? No matter if we're talking about Classic, X, Zero or even Legends, each of them had boss fights and overall difficulty increase that felt fair and manageable.
  • winner2 - January 20, 2012 5:57 p.m.

True about dark souls, it and demons souls don't even have the option to change the difficulty like most games lol
  • BladedFalcon - January 20, 2012 9:03 p.m.

Yet he stated at the end of the article that that was EXACTLY the point for games like Dark Souls. That's a series that since it's inception was created, and marketed as a difficult gaming experience. In that particular case, the difficulty is PART of what makes the series unique and appealing. Even if not for everyone.
  • AuthorityFigure - January 20, 2012 5:43 p.m.

The problem the author describes is due to the ever-increasing complexity of the AI used in games. More complex AI means more variables that need changing this or that way in order to scale difficulty evenly. It's very simple to make Pacman scale its difficulty evenly because there are only a few variables to change (the ghost speed, the abundance of invicible pellets, and so on), but when you have a modern game, with a million different classes, objects, behaviors, some of the co-dependant, it becomes a huge mathematical problem. People that want the extra detail, better AI, better 'realism' cannot have evenly scaling difficulty anymore.
  • ShadowReaper666 - January 20, 2012 5:30 p.m.

Just play gears of war 3 insane co-op with 4 people not on arcade mode and say games aren't hard enough anymore
  • FlyinMachine - January 20, 2012 7:39 p.m.

He never said "games aren't hard enough." He said that the difficulty levels in some games is broken. Some parts in some games will be stupidly difficult and then other parts you can breeze through, BOTH on Hard difficulty. What Matt here is suggesting is that devs focus on fine tuning their game so that the difficulty level is consistent and always offers you the enjoyment or challenge you expect. I do agree, though: Gears 3 on Insane is ridiculously hard
  • Fox_Mulder - January 20, 2012 9:43 p.m.

4 player? I beat it solo. Honestly IMO GOW 3 on insane was the easiest of the three.