• Kyo - March 11, 2012 11 a.m.

SO.. uhh.. the reason why you think the best version of ME is with female shepard.. is because she's nothing special? o_O I see. Well, being a woman or man in those situations means nothing to me it's what a person does in life nothing else really matters in the long run when things are that important. So yea, my ideal ME is with the male shepard, if you think a woman being treated exactly the same and lacking anything special is something.. special.. cool.
  • TheLotusReborn - March 11, 2012 3:28 p.m.

lol You focused on like one paragraph, and the entire time you ignored the one of the opening points: "2. Many players approach the creation of their Shepard as a way to insert themselves into the story, and they create a Shepard consistent with that priority, i.e., male. I will begin by saying there is nothing wrong with either of those play styles." The entire article is about playing a game isn't "The ideal ME". It's about creating a character that isn't "ME", it's somebody else. Boy, girl, gallant, jerk, whatever. Like if you're writing a book, you create a cast of characters, NONE of which are "ME". The main character should be enjoyable and relatable in some way, and maybe s/he would make choices you would agree with, and maybe some you wouldn't. For instance, think of Stephen King and a handful of his works: The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me (The Body), It, The Stand, The Shining. Now imagine how different any single one or ALL would be if King said "The main guy is doing to be the ideal ME". Inserting traits of yourself is fine, but you undeniably get different and often positive results by going about it a little differently. While it's very cool and fun to insert "ME" into a game, the writer here is advocating doing something different than that in order to achieve what he founds to be an even more satisfying experience.
  • essiy - March 10, 2012 9:36 p.m.

When it comes to games where I get a gender choice that effects the story line, or hell, even their reactions, I'll play through both. The Mass Effect games are good enough to warrant a second or third playthrough, so why would you bother doing the same thing again? When I buy a game, I buy it so I can get the maximum amount of fun out of it, if you play the same boring route, it's not fun. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who likes a strong, independent female. FemShep FTW
  • PBC13 - March 10, 2012 8 p.m.

I agree with this article and love the point it is making. But I do also think that a male Shephard can embody the same thing. Simply by being so fundamentally fair and free from typical prejudices. it is, after all, males who need to grow the most in this aspect, and a male Shephard can be a symbol of that implicit growth that Mass Effect's future envisages.
  • punkmetalmage - March 10, 2012 4:18 p.m.

My FemShep is my idea woman, doesn't take shit from anyone and can be depended on. That's how I model my FemShep, a strong confident woman. There are enough games out there with a bald space marine and I have always argued the same points as this article with friends who have played the series. As far as Sci Fi movies goes, the best female lead is Elli from Contact. Plus, I feel that using a female as a lead in Mass Effect makes it a spiritual successor to the plot of Contact.
  • elppa284 - March 10, 2012 1:26 p.m.

Huh. I never thought about it in context like that. Great article! All the more reason to love my femshepard
  • newarkd - March 10, 2012 12:34 p.m.

Where did all this gay sex come from? If any of you're posts contain "BioWare spreading homo virus" You probably have more important things to do then Forums. Vasectomy ?
  • johnconnor - March 10, 2012 11:29 a.m.

You talked about my mother. Yeah she was strong. But playing a female in mass effect. No thanks you... I don't think female can really be warrior sorry. They are weak, have female problems, and their emotion are random. In Mass effect 1 i played the worst human in the galaxy, the nightmare of both bad and good guys. Could the hero be a female ? Hell no. Am i sexist ? No. But everyone had a place in this world, and female have none in war, despite what feminists wants to make believe. And for the homosexual sex in the game, as it has been said, no gamers and nobody at all asked for it, except maybe the homosexual association dedicated to spread their sickness. Evil Shepard
  • SentientSquidMachine - March 10, 2012 11:50 a.m.

Someone has been indoctrinated...
  • johnconnor - March 11, 2012 11:08 a.m.

For the 3 below: The one that has been indoctrinated is you and your fellows feminists and homos puppets. You said i'm stupid because what i said is true ? ok i accept your stupidity too ^^ If being sexist is knowing that gender have a different rôles in life, yes i am. Who are your women warriors in real life ? Jeanne d'arc ? Lara Croft ? the bitch that tortured irakis in Abou Ghraib ? Homophobic ? Wait... Did i said that i'm afraid of homosexual ? No, so learn what a word means before enounce accusation like a pathetic parrot. Homos are just disgusting that's all, but they are not frightening. By the way i really don't care about them, as long as they don't want to homo-nize the world via all the medias. Their sexual relations are disgusting and i don't want the games to implement their shitty man to man relation in it. It's ridiculously ugly. And if you don't agree with it, go to a gay bar to meet your soulmate lol I'll sure don't play this game don't worry, i don't want to support companies that spread the "sodome and gomorrhe way". Your brain has been washed by medias. You all need help.
  • essiy - March 11, 2012 2:38 p.m.

One: There's more than one of us, count buddy, I know it's hard, but you can do it. Two: Lara Croft isn't a real person, I know this console generation's graphics are good, but listen sir, we need to have a talk. She's not real, neither is Santa Claus or the tooth fairy. Three: Homosexuals are humans just like everyone else, they have feelings and the same genetic formula. Plus, what straight man would speak out against women making out? Sorry ladies, I had to dive into that. I need help just as much as any sane person, which is, unlike your needs, no help needed at all. You disgrace the name of a character from one of the greatest action films of all time. Shame on you sir, now, stand there while I prepare this glove so I can slap your filthy face and not dirty my hand. Because I am aware that my girlfriend doesn't appreciate me touching vermin with the same hands that she likes to hold. Please go back to your cave, Sincerely, the rest of humanity and myself included.
  • johnconnor - March 11, 2012 3:53 p.m.

But... you think you're funny ? Listen, if i follow your way of thinking, pedophiles and rapists are human too, with human dna and feeling so you love them. You also love scatophile and zoophile i guess. That's absolutely the stupidest thing i ever heard. Is that what they teach you at school ? How to think like a naive 10 years old ? Who told you homos have no feelings ? I just said that 2 guys fucking in their ass full of shit is disgusting and i don't want this in video games. If they force it into it (lol) then why not a few years later some pedophiles scene in Mass effect 7 ? Or some rape scene in baldur's gate 3 ? Homosexual are 0.1% of the planet and they are invading all medias with their mental sickness. I am against and it's my right and duty. You, you have no conscience of what happen. Effectively you can't touch me, because i'd detroy your sissi face so quickly. PS : I thought that you were about to say "... the same hands that she likes in her pussy cave" lol. The day real men and real women will live in a cave, i'll go with them , and let the city to faggots and lesbians and straight supporters like you without remorse. Ah sometimes i pray Skynet could be real to erase people like you.
  • essiy - March 11, 2012 4:37 p.m.

I don't think I'm funny, I know I am. They taught me how to be a decent and intelligent human being, which is more than can be said for the likes of you. The point I made about Homosexuals is that they are human, and the only difference between straight people and homosexuals is who they choose to love. Pedophiles and rapists are human yes, and they drag humanity down, just like you. The point is that we don't have to go around and love each other, what we need is decency, which you do not portray. If humans degrade themselves to live in a cave with you, then they aren't sane, nor are they "real men" or "real women". They also taught me to spell and use proper grammar, so really, you shouldn't be talking to me like I'm the naive one when you can't spell or write worth shit. And it humors me deeply that you still have the courage, or should I say stupidity, to have the balls to even consider coming back and trying to cover your sorry ass with empty threats. You could not kick my ass, even if you did, I'd one, break your bones, and two, inform the poilce so you can spend your days seeing real criminals. I could easily take a guy who can't even spell "Sissy" right. Also, just so you are aware, the considering you thought of me having sex with my girlfriend is flattering, but it doesn't help your "Duty" does it? Oh, did I strike a soft spot? Quit making a fool of yourself on the internet and get a life. (You're hearing that from an intellectually superior human being, meaning you should take notes) I await your next poorly written excuse for a paragraph of insults. Buh-Bye Chum.
  • johnconnor - March 12, 2012 12:03 p.m.

I'm not english speaker, so i don't really care if i made some fault, the principal goal was that you understand how much you're patheticly average. The day you'll speak another language at least the same level as i speak yours you'll have the right to emit critics. Superior being... Yeah you're right you're funny as shit lol. Pedophile too choose who they want to love, that's not an excuse, as the dna or the fact of being human. You volontary elude the real subject and i resume it for your stupid controlled mind : Why do homosexuals lobbies harass us (straight) even in video games with their propaganda about their sexual mental illness to pretend it is a normal behavior ? They can do their sexual life without us but no, they want us to love them and to become like them so they do lobby shit. And i don't as the big majority on earth. That's all. The rest of what you said is a lot of ludicrous and ininteresting things about yourself. In face I'm almost sorry for you. You think that what they have taught you is how to be a decent man but in fact they taught you how to become neither a man or a woman, just a nobody with no opinion on anything. Exactly what they wanted the people to become : stupid, full of themselves, and so ignorant that anybody can tell anything, as long as the medias (movies, tv) says the same thing then you'll sure believe it. You're a sheep. You're doomed as your country is. Sorry.
  • essiy - March 12, 2012 2:47 p.m.

The average of a group is effected by all members, and considering that you are a part of the group, I'd say that I am above average. Oh, and by the way, If you don't know shit about someone, don't even assume they're dumber than proven. I speak Japanese fluently as well as Mandarin Chinese. So, in your logic, that makes me twice as smart as you, or maybe higher because I'm fluent and can write in both languages... properly. And they don't "Lobby" it, Mass effect is made by Bioware, a Canadian developer, which is located in my city. We are a a country that is considered "Socialist" by more Right oriented countries. So, what you're getting at is that a Homosexual being, who does no harm and does not break any laws, is the same as someone who routinely breaks the law and harms children? You really are stupid, aren't you? I wouldn't ask a lower species to worry about humans, that is why I don't ask you to feel sorry for me. I have an opinion, it's that people who don't break the law or people who don't think like you, are good human beings, it's quite obvious I have an opinion or I wouldn't be fighting this never ending battle with your stupidity. I believe in what is right, that humans are humans, innocent until proven guilty. You on the other hand believe that your wank hand is a good substitute for a relationship. My country is not doomed because we have sane human beings walking around, your country, well, let's say it'd be better off if you decided to take a long walk off a short dock. Go ahead, keep coming at me, but if anyone asks, you walked into my verbal fist. Signed, The only person who is giving you any sort of attention in your sad and bleak existence. I love helping the poor, unfortunate souls of the world, for that is "My duty".
  • johnconnor - March 11, 2012 11:22 a.m.

Yeah, you.
  • kingsmikefan - March 10, 2012 8:01 p.m.

you ARE the definition of sexist. cunt
  • johnconnor - March 11, 2012 11:10 a.m.

Ok cock sucker.
  • essiy - March 10, 2012 9:27 p.m.

You've got to be kidding me. You can't be for real, I mean, nobody's this stupid... right? You say you're not sexist and yet you say that women can't fight in wars. It's people like you that drag the gaming community into this stereotype of being homophobic womanizers. I've met tons of strong women who could easily kick a man's ass. I know you're a troll and you probably touch yourself over the thought that SentientSquidMachine, kingsmikefan and I responded to your pathetic views. If you have such a problem with it, either don't play the damn game or ignore it. But please, for the sake of humanity shut your stupid mouth.
  • johnconnor - March 11, 2012 11:21 a.m.

I'm not touching anything, you and the others one are nobody lol. You certainly met strong women that could kick YOUR ass because you're weak and pathetic but that's not the case of all the other males on earth. Don't apply your handicap to everyone. You want me to shut up because i talked about the taboo of america. The homos here are like the sacred cows for india. Your worship their coolness lol. Thanks God i'm not american cause i could be like you, a big sheep barking at anybody saying that women are weak and homos disgusting.
  • essiy - March 11, 2012 2:19 p.m.

I'm a nobody eh? You don't even know me. Here I thought you were a troll trying to get off on others. Looks like I've won. You've sunken pretty low, further than I thought a human could go. Good work, let me record your data for the scientists out there so we can finally find out what happened to the Neanderthals. A living relative would be a great addition to any zoo, I'm sure. I'd love to hear you spout your bollocks to any group of women or any man with a brain cell left. See how long you last there. And By the way, I'm Canadian you Twat. Learn the difference. Learn proper grammar and spelling before you try to insult someone obviously more intelligent than you are, you're making a mockery of yourself. Please stop, I don't want to clean up the mess after my words and proper sentence structure make your head explode. I wish you good luck in finding a mate, I hear that your species is extinct. In the meantime, I'll be awaiting your next, poorly written rant. Tah, tah.