Topics

Guild Wars 2 MMO

• PlainLikeVanilla - April 23, 2012 7:56 p.m.

What is the purpose of a level system if players can just be scaled up or down regardless of the situation? Does it allow players more variety in their build? What does gaining a level actually affect?
  • Joaovpo - April 23, 2012 8:26 p.m.

Your equipment will still be high level, so you will have an edge, but it is still a challenge. Think like real life, even if you are an experienced warrior fully equipped etc, doesn't mean a peasant can't still hurt you, but you surely have an edge with all that armor.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 23, 2012 8:33 p.m.

Also you don't get scaled up, save for PvP, so you'll still need to be a high-level for hign-level content.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - April 23, 2012 8:50 p.m.

So if I'm a high level and my friends are low level I can go play with them but they can't come play with me?
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 23, 2012 9:47 p.m.

Unless you PvP, yes. But you can play with them, and since most of the content is repeatable, you'll still get stuff.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - April 24, 2012 7:09 a.m.

Thanks Coop
  • Fenghoang - April 23, 2012 10:21 p.m.

Levels do matter because trait points are tied to it. I'm not sure if talent points are tied to levels or not, but I do remember you having to find talent point trainers or items/events across the world.
  • kcypher - April 23, 2012 7:11 p.m.

Nothing I read in this article hasn't been done in other mmos already. While I do plan to buy the game at launch it is because I have confidence in the devs to deliver a solid game. I have no illusions however that, PQs and a Champions online class mechanic will make the game unique.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 23, 2012 7:40 p.m.

I know other MMOs let you "sidekick" with high-level players, but I don't know of any that let you play with low-level characters, even at level cap.
  • TheZigMan - April 23, 2012 9:28 p.m.

I play with new players all the time in EVE Online. Granted it doesn't use a level system, but still
  • WintersFlight - April 25, 2012 11:56 p.m.

City of heroes uses this system extensively, in both directions. If I run a level 25 mission as a level 50, I loose some powers, but keep the enhancements that I gained from being a higher level. Low level toons don't gain any powers if they play above their heads, which can put them at a disadvantage.
  • Brutalicus - April 23, 2012 6:57 p.m.

I have to say, this game flew completely under (or over?) my radar until very recently, now I'm looking forward to giving the MMORPG another try.
  • rileyjack08 - April 23, 2012 6:18 p.m.

I think that what will make this game great is the many small differences and quirks that it has compared to other MMOs