• oneshotfinch - December 10, 2010 5:31 p.m.

I like this idea, it allows you to talk about your favourite game rather than one that's technically the best. Vanquish was easily my favourite, even though I know Red Dead is the better game for example. Also, I personally hope SMG2 underperforms at the platinum chalice awards. It's a level pack. An excellent level pack, but still a level pack.
  • n00b - December 10, 2010 5:30 p.m.

i was gona say bayonetta for me but Justin Towell beat me too it. seemed no one was gona say it. im gona go out on a limb and say No More Heroes 2 is game of the year for me. I haven't played it yet but i bought 1 and 2 on the same day and am currently playing through 1 and its amazing. for once and game is not ashamed to be a game its really refreshing. I played bayonetta earlier in the year and got the same feeling so I'll give game of the year to both Bayonetta and No More Heroes 2
  • BigLandoz - December 10, 2010 5:20 p.m.

As great as Red Dead Redemption is (and it's pretty fantastic), Mass Effect 2 is that much better. I played through RDR once, but I'm playing through my 7th character on ME2.
  • Lemurian - December 10, 2010 5:02 p.m.

justin has the only awesome game on this list has no one played super mario galaxy 2 or donkey kong country returns?
  • cracker33 - December 10, 2010 4:50 p.m.

I freaking loved Singularity! That game holds a special place in my heart (right next to the Saboteur).
  • Felixthecat - December 10, 2010 4:42 p.m.

Mass Effect 2 sucks dick. And where the hell is Mario Galaxy 2? I mean, come on, it's BY FAR the best game out this year. I agree with RDR, Super Meat Boy, SSFIV and Bayonetta though. All of them are absolutely astounding.
  • hanktherapper - December 10, 2010 4:35 p.m.

I'm going with Red Dead Redemption. It's been a long time since I've sunk over 60 hours in a game.
  • SpiritZephyr2012 - December 10, 2010 4:35 p.m.

FF XIII wins my Game of the Year with extremely honorable mention going to Black Ops. Something about netting 999,999 CP for absolutely no reason and the size of Grand Pulse along with the Cie'th missions was just more awesome than tearing through Vorkuta. And that's saying a lot because Vorkuta+Veteran=epic. I'm not sure if Cie'th has an apostrophe or not, I never really paid attention.
  • Corsair89 - December 10, 2010 4:24 p.m.

Red Dead Redemption is my GotY, with honorable mentions going to Super Mario Galaxy 2, Bayonetta, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Final Fantasy XIII, and Super Meat Boy.
  • Stabby_Joe - December 10, 2010 4:21 p.m.

So basically it's a toss up between Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2. I'm glad Just Cause 2 was mentioned because being all about the fun, I ended up spending more time with it than a good chunk of all the other praised games this year. Honorable mentions: Fallout: New Vegas, God of War III and Donkey Kong Country Returns.
  • NeonSalmon - December 10, 2010 4:16 p.m.

I'm surprised none of you chose Mario Galaxy 2, that game is just wonderful
  • spawny0908 - December 10, 2010 4:15 p.m.

Charlie Barratt Thank you! I love Red Dead Redemption so much but really couldn't put into words why. Basically what you said is it. I never really liked the GTA series I never cared for any of the characters or their stories. So I was hesitant to even GET Red Dead. But I caved. I thought it would be another GTA "do missions until free roam kicked in so I can shoot people and raise hell" game. But it wasn't here is a character who wants to help someone other than himself. Love or hate Red Dead but I'm sure EVERYONE has someone they love enough they'd kill in order to protect them. On top of that John's a naturally likable character. I still cannot put my finger on why I like him so much but I do! He just has a very magnetic personality that just makes you like him. But not just him I like a lot of the characters and became attached. I noticed I was hooked when John has to save someone from being killed. I was trying to teach them cautiously, take cover, pop out, shoot, and pop back into cover. But when I reached a certain point it shows the thugs kicking the chair to hang them. I saw that and cautious went out the window. I said to myself "I have to save them! They're going to die!!!" I ran through town getting shot everywhere then I paused the game and thought "WHY DO I CARE SO MUCH?!?!?!" Thats why Red Dead Redemption is not ONLY my game of the year but my favorite game ever. Rockstar has finally grown up...
  • Hayseyboy - December 10, 2010 4:12 p.m.

Damn right Carolyn, Garrus is awesome.
  • jackthemenace - December 10, 2010 4:06 p.m.

I KNEW there was a reason Justin Towell is my favourite editor! Now i know it's coz he knows the TRUE game of the year :3
  • Nazcom555 - December 10, 2010 4:01 p.m.

Gotta say mass effect 2 has got my GOTY pick, followed closely by singularity which is proboably the FPS experience this year. However I have to disagree with all the Red Dead game of the years, while the story was good, it felt like Marstons motive was a little forced. Plus Rockstar ran out of stuff for the player to do by three qaurters through the game. Needless to say I got bored after Rockstar continously built up and then discarded characters without building any depth into them.
  • TruckThunders - December 10, 2010 3:51 p.m.

Very glad to see Just Cause 2 made this list. Good pick, Nathan.
  • tomservo - December 10, 2010 3:44 p.m.

Are we going to get a list of honourable mentions? Alan Wake, Deadly Premonition, New Vegas and Vanquish aren't in the same league as the listed, but they are all great games, albeit flawed Red Dead by a country mile for me. From throwing horseshoes to family life to zombie apocalypse - not bad!
  • grappler51 - December 10, 2010 3:40 p.m.

Bahahaha Brett's part about ME2 was hilarious!
  • sternparez - December 10, 2010 3:29 p.m.

Castlevania hands down for me, although I will play Mass Effect 2 when it's released on PS3. Not the best year considering last year had Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 2 and 2008 had MGS4 and GTA
  • BobberyFan98 - December 10, 2010 3:24 p.m.

I'm just shocked that only 1 person said Reach was their fave. But one is better than none!