• MyCoolWhiteLies - October 23, 2012 2:29 p.m.

Ha, god, I definitely remember that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night one. It was so ugly and stupid looking compared to the art direction of the rest of the game.
  • Elgyem - October 23, 2012 2:29 p.m.

Watching the opponents taunt you when you get KO'd in punch-out!! Wii. It gets even worse when you have to give them your belt.
  • Brutalicus - October 23, 2012 2:22 p.m.

All the horrible ways you can die in Dead Space.
  • kitatojirin - October 23, 2012 2:22 p.m.

Metal Gear Solid 2, in that weird-ass shit that happens toward the end when you get the Fission Mailed screen while the game is actually still going on. lolwut
  • punkduck2064 - October 23, 2012 2:20 p.m.

Kings quest VI, It was the only game I played for all of 1993. My brothers and I would compete on speed runs to see who could get the best time, highest score and no deaths allowed. The death sequence pissed me off, especially when I discovered all of the foreshadowing involved.
  • maltba63 - October 23, 2012 2:05 p.m.

The screenshot you used for SSBB is actually from Melee..
  • GR_LucasSullivan - October 23, 2012 2:39 p.m.

I have NO idea what part of my brain allowed me to mislabel it as such
  • talleyXIV - October 23, 2012 1:57 p.m.

SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!
  • RonnyLive19881 - October 23, 2012 1:38 p.m.

The most ego tearing death screen is in online matches where some ten year old tea bags your bullet filled corps as you watch the kill cam.
  • Jesse1066 - October 23, 2012 1:36 p.m.

My first thought was Gran Turismo 4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB37OUE4eKw
  • JarkayColt - October 23, 2012 2:43 p.m.

This was exactly my first thought too. I remember being mocked by that fail music way more times than was neccessary when trying to clear the licenses. And it's just so hilariously sarcastic! Just a shame it can't be summed up in a single screen I guess.
  • Technomancer - October 23, 2012 1:31 p.m.

Seriously, no "You have died of dysentery?"
  • JMarsella09 - October 23, 2012 1:24 p.m.

Two things came to mind. First was the you are dead song. Second are the Jak and Daxter ones were Daxter makes a sarcastic comment about your demise, which is like Batman only worse because your best friend is making jokes over your dead body.
  • db1331 - October 23, 2012 1:24 p.m.

This mod for Dark Souls: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/images/92-1-1348447102.png Also, it's not really a game over screen, but that fat purple fuck in Mario Galaxy 2 who recommends that you take a break if you die too many times in a row. Nothing in any game has ever pissed me off as much as that guy.
  • dcobs123 - October 23, 2012 3:28 p.m.

Getting asked if you want to skip a level in modern 2d platformers feels pretty emasculating.
  • profile0000 - October 23, 2012 3:49 p.m.

That mod is perfect, as that's the only way to die in Dark Souls.
  • Redeater - October 23, 2012 1:23 p.m.

I loved Fear Effect. I wish they would bring it back.
  • shawksta - October 23, 2012 1:16 p.m.

Awesome list Kings Quest V's Narrator has to put an irritating pun on everything you die on, NO, EVERYTHING AND THERE'S ALLOT TO DIE ON
  • Redeater - October 23, 2012 1:26 p.m.

Lol, yeah I remember that. I loved that game to death but they sure had a way of fucking you over. You can make it all the way to the end of the game but if you didn't get something at the beginning of it you are completely screwed.
  • StrayGator - October 23, 2012 1:05 p.m.

Fallout 2 reminded me of the original Dune game http://youtu.be/Vj91w1t1bAY Also, Cannon Fodder. Not a game over screen per se, but the line of recruits with fresh graves in the background might fit this article.