Topics

G4 Television

• LordZarlon - September 7, 2012 6:08 p.m.

This network has only gone downhill since it changed from TechTV. I stuck with it for a long time but I couldn't care less about Cops and American Ninja. Once Adam Sessler left I totally lost interest. It was never a "great" network but when it was TechTV it had a variety of programs that interested me. "The Screensavers", "Call for Help", "Extended Play", "Cinematech", and several others were shows that appealed directly to me. I continue to question how much "Geek" and "Nerd Culture" have really become mainstream, like many people claim, when programming that appeals to Geeks and Nerds gets pushed aside for more popular fair on a regular basis.
  • yonderTheGreat - September 7, 2012 7:49 p.m.

In the interest of, well, educating you, you sorta have your facts wrong, or are presenting them wrong. G4 never was TechTV. They used to be completely separate networks. Comcast started driving TechTV into the ground by dropping them from their network cuz they owned G4. Once TTV lost ratings and viewership (cuz, duh, Comcast), G4's parent company was able to buy TTV. They soon merged. And just a few weeks after they merged, G4 started laying off everyone in SF and Leo Laporte left "after a contract dispute" (sound familiar?). *ALL* of those shows you mention G4 cancelled because they didn't fit into G4's lineup, wtfever that is. And Screensavers became AOTS, cuz, well, the suits at G4 think that gamers and nerds prefer bimbo playmates over Leo Laporte and fluff over content. There may be SOME truth to that, but we can get that crap anywhere. We can't get Leo Laporte and ACTUAL geekism just anywhere on TV.
  • LordZarlon - September 8, 2012 6:45 p.m.

Thank you for your clarification yonderTheGreat. I mean this seriously because it's a valid point. Whenever a corporation buys or merges with another one there seems to be casualties. I made the mistake because I have Charter Communications and we didn't have G4 we just had TechTV. I didn't know that G4 existed before it merged with TechTV. I was also confused because a couple shows and some talent made it through the transition. For the sake of staying informed, I WOULD like to know what G4's original pre-merger lineup was. If anyone knows that would be helpful.
  • PhantomDave - September 7, 2012 8:20 p.m.

I couldn't agree more. When it was TechTV my television was on it 24/7. So many great shows about computers and tech. I'd take Leo Laporte over any of those MTV-rejects they had on that channel as G4....except The Sess of course. As for this new conversion....I quit watching a long time ago, so who gives a shit....
  • ClockworkBro - September 7, 2012 5:57 p.m.

Blah blah blah, same thing everyone else is saying, G4 changed ages ago so I will now take this time (and space) to reminisce. Does anyone remember a show called Portal which thinking back was essentially a machinima of Everquest and some other games. Can't really find it too well now a days cause you know... it's called Portal
  • yonderTheGreat - September 7, 2012 7:45 p.m.

*nostalgia* I'm pouring out a mountain dew for my buddy.
  • CountRichtertoffen - September 7, 2012 8:40 p.m.

I was able to find at least one episode on YouTube by searching "G4 Portal." I loved their style of early machinima. One of my favorite old shows, along with Cheat! and Judgement Day.
  • Smash_Bro - September 7, 2012 5:35 p.m.

(Canadian) G4TV still shows a good amount of gaming shows. AOTS, X-Play and Reviews on the Run air quite often. Not to mention, they always have the best E3 coverage. I do miss the old Tech TV, but G4 is the only channel of its kind. I'll be really upset if it transforms into a classy version of Spike.
  • yonderTheGreat - September 7, 2012 6:46 p.m.

Did you see what their E3 coverage *USED* to be? Now it's just a bunch of playboy models running around making boob-jokes and not-so-subtle euphemisms. Now... I *LOVE* that stuff, but as with everything else, there's a time for that. I just want to go into G4's production meeting during a review of their shows and have a sign that says "Do you really think we're all 15 year old boys?" and hold that up everytime I see something idiotic. I think my arm would get tired. Again, I *LOVE* juvenile and idiocy... to an extent.
  • Acerba - September 7, 2012 5:14 p.m.

And nothing of value was lost.
  • yonderTheGreat - September 7, 2012 4:33 p.m.

How can you change direction away from something you abandoned nearly a decade ago? That's not how it works.
  • onetimebuster - September 7, 2012 4:30 p.m.

After leo left it sucked he was amazing.
  • Ryudo - September 7, 2012 7:48 p.m.

Try Twit.tv He is still around with his own tech network
  • lewis-barclay - September 7, 2012 4:24 p.m.

Well g4 was way better back when it was called TECH TV!!!! It was great back then. Now its always about cops, cheaters,ninja warrior and I'm sorry but I really don't like attack of the show.
  • Sinsational - September 7, 2012 4 p.m.

Not surprising. G4 has been going downhill for a long time now. In all honesty, this could be the reason Adam Sessler left the company so abruptly. He strikes me as the type that's passionate about his games and the show he helped keep alive.
  • idlemindkiller - September 7, 2012 3:59 p.m.

G4 sucks anyway.
  • BladedFalcon - September 7, 2012 3:59 p.m.

"G4TV reportedly changing direction away from gaming programming" Um... how is this news? this happened years ago. They might be flat out just admit they aren't a gaming network NOW but they haven't been one ever since they cut most of their shows such as the awesome Cinematech. And jsut left out a very few select ones such as attack of the show and X-play. (And attack of the show wasn't really that game-related, and it sucked.)