• lenny-boogie-butt-harris - June 8, 2012 7:31 a.m.

I was planning on that price anyway im not surprised. I think $349.99 is a great price. Walmart already had that price listing up since later April early May. This is a new system after all. People wanna pay nothing for something! smh. Better check Amazon looks like games for Wii U will be $59.99 (i expected those to go up to)
  • taokaka - June 8, 2012 7:31 a.m.

Oh poor baby, you're gonna have to save up your pocket money. http://ebgames.com.au/wiiu-153813-Wii-U---White-Estimated-price-Wii-U Make you feel better?
  • Hobogonigal - June 8, 2012 7:45 a.m.

Oh my god! That's way more than when I checked last time on the EB site. You English readers should feel lucky with your £280 price tag ($420), we have to deal with the EB games con-artists over here in Aus. I can see Wii-U games being a comfy $110 AU as well...
  • ParagonT - June 8, 2012 8:35 a.m.

I don't know what corner of the street you work on, but "pocket money" is no joking matter.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 8, 2012 11 a.m.

Holy shit!! $598? Why in the h3ll is nintendo thinking. When Sony introduced the ps3 at this point it sold very poorly.
  • Cyberninja - June 8, 2012 2:43 p.m.

Its because he is in Australia where everything is overpriced like a vita there costs $350 and that is just the excepted price.
  • Cyberninja - June 8, 2012 6:49 a.m.

I would buy one for that price, its Nintendo's entry into next gen and seeing as both sony and mircosoft still have base consoles around price it isn't that bad. think about it with people demanding better tech alot the xbox 720 or PS4 will definatly be alot more expensive at launch then this, if they make upgrades that are worth trading up.
  • ParagonT - June 8, 2012 8:37 a.m.

Nintendo's system will be older and Sony and Microsoft has new found time to top the Wii U. It's up to you, but i would suggest waiting to compare them all before feeling like a fool when the Wii U's lifespan becomes shortened.
  • Cyberninja - June 8, 2012 9:45 a.m.

I had a dreamcast after it died and still loved it, and I have a Vita with 2 games sitting next to me now, I fully intead to buy both a Wiiu and PS4 so there is no point in comparing.
  • ParagonT - June 9, 2012 9:32 a.m.

You sir have that luxury, good for you although. Wish I could afford both.
  • Burdmayn - June 8, 2012 6:42 a.m.

I really hope this is the price point, as it's exactly what I thought it would be. In comparison to what the Wii offered for the price point, I don't think this is unreasonable at all. You're paying more for better tech, that's about it. I think the Wii audience will absolutely jump on this, mainly because it's a better Wii. As long as Nintendo makes it clear that this is a better system and not just a new controller, people will be all over it. The audience that helped the Wii sell like hotcakes most likely doesn't own a 360 or PS3, so HD will be like a new world to them. (My parents are like this) I can't wait to pick one up myself, I have a soft spot for Nintendo. Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, Super Mario U, NintendoLand, and ZombiU have made a mighty compelling argument to me.
  • jackthemenace - June 8, 2012 6:42 a.m.

Well, I'm not too worried, since I'm not particularly planning on buying a WiiU at any time soon. But, if I were yu, I wouldn't get to excited- this is ShopTo who, in my dealings with them, have always tried to sell everything at the highest price they possibly can.
  • DirkSteele1 - June 8, 2012 6:31 a.m.

While it is not hard to argue that in the current economic environment £279 will be a lot of money for many people, that price point puts it almost bang in line with the equivalent SNES pricing. The SNES hit UK shores in April 1992 at £149. Simplistically applying the reported growth in UK RPI since then would give it a price of £260 in todays money.
  • SiPod - June 8, 2012 6:19 a.m.

That's a lot. But then, so's a Vita.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 8, 2012 6:11 a.m.

Nintendo has always been really cheap in comparison to sony and microsoft. I'd rather pay that price for a ps4
  • ParagonT - June 8, 2012 8:39 a.m.

We can't say that for sure as of yet. Perhaps your right, if I was a betting man, I'd say your right, but that could all change soon.
  • ParagonT - June 8, 2012 5:19 a.m.

I doubt it will be so high, but I'm not going to listen to Reggie neither. He has a tenancy to make things sound better than what it is. Of course any spokesperson and person of the company would, but his way of doing actually ticks me off. "It's a new Batman game!" - That stuff irks me.
  • KidKatana - June 8, 2012 5:17 a.m.

N64 had Super Mario 64, Gamecube had Smash Bros (well, close enough to launch), Wii had Twilight Princess. What you got for me, Nintendo?
  • Mooshon - June 8, 2012 5:15 a.m.

Ouch. That's just for the base console too. Games are £33 - £40, extra controllers maybe £20, and a second gamepad who knows. You're looking at an initial investment of £400, going up to £500 if you want to be 'Together, Better'... Can't see a Wii U drought in this climate
  • TheLeagueOfNinjaSquirrels - June 8, 2012 4:36 a.m.

They want £280 for this!!!! In a time of economic hardship, Nintendo see fit to charge this much for a HD Wii? You can count me out already. It thought the launch line up was bad but this is ridicules. No doubt they will do a price drop within a few months like they did with the 3DS. To be fair, until they release a Zelda or Star Fox game I won’t be buying anyway. Pikmin 3 might be good but it is not a hardware selling game for me. Very disappointing, Nintendo.