• FlagrantPilgrim - August 23, 2010 7:09 p.m.

I totally agree with the latter half of this article. An absolute end fits games like Uncharted 2, which has a predetermined plot, but if I buy a role-playing game, I want to play out my role as I see fit.
  • harrychilcott - August 23, 2010 7:05 p.m.

They should do a Red Dead Redemption style ending where you play the main hero's son/daughter. There could be a quest where you have sex with someone then it cuts to nine months later where either the hero's 'wife' is having the baby or you are having the baby (depending on which gender you are). And in that nine month jump, lots of things have happened eg. the Enclave have turned up or the Brotherhood have arrived. Then when the game ends, in the main game or DLC, you son/daughter is now playable, with nothing but cool armour and the weapon you used the most in the main game. Thus you can go about and finish everything else and get 100%.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - August 23, 2010 6:44 p.m.

I see no problem with this at all. Just don't bomb through the main storyline too quick and/or keep a pre ending save. Simple.
  • shaft121 - August 23, 2010 6:27 p.m.

If this is really such a problem for everyone, why not just not finish the main storyline until you have finished the rest of the game?
  • Crypto140 - August 23, 2010 6:21 p.m.

Hopefully, they add a DLC ending. Or perhaps, a DLC that doens't tie into the story, but rather, a DLC that releases a multiplayer of some sort. Like gambling with other players like the soon to be Red Dead Redemption DLC. Who knows? But they better fix that ending crap.
  • d0x - August 23, 2010 6:14 p.m.

What a load of poop. You can have a great ending and then when the credits are over say that the game is over and give you the option to keep doing.
  • Fata1Stryke - August 23, 2010 5:27 p.m.

If the ending really is that good, then ok, but I would much rather be given the chance to explore further. I'm pretty sure they could pull off a nice conclusion and still give players some post-game freedom.
  • Dutch - August 23, 2010 5:25 p.m.

I had no problem with Obsidian taking over the next fallout game, but now i'm starting to worry.
  • CAPST3R - August 23, 2010 5:21 p.m.

Well, I'm a regular on the Fallout wiki, so I think I should fill in a couple of gaps left by GR: DLC has been confirmed, although there are absolutely no details available. There will be a point of no return, but unlike FO3, it will tell you this, and prompt you to save. The level cap in the standard game is 30. Also, for anyone who doesn't know, Obsidian are making this, but Bethesda made the last one, although they are both published by Bethesda. Also, Obsidian has many people who worked on other Fallouts on the team. Although nothing official's been said, few people on the wiki think the DLC will continue the game like Broken Steel. I hope some of that helps. Personally, I think they'll add the pre-order packs, plus some DLC something like the FO3 DLC (excluding Broken Steel). I hope, however, it's a literal expansion of the map, so when you reach the map boundaries of the non-DLC game, the DLC brings up, say an extra 3 kilometres, with new buildings to scavenge, as well as releasing some new enemies into the game (like Broken Steel did).
  • Ulfgeir - August 23, 2010 5:12 p.m.

I'm still baffled as to why Obsidian was handed the reigns on this project in the first place. Doesn't anyone remember their track record? Bioware turned 'Knights of the Old Republic II' over to them, and not only was it an inferior sequel, it actually shipped with game-breaking bugs. 'Neverwinter Nights II' may have had better graphics than it's much older predecessor, but otherwise the sequel was a lesser product in every way. Oh, and once again, tons of bugs upon release. Then we've got 'Alpha Protocol.' Need I say anything at all about this game? I can't believe I wasted money on that garbage. But still, they get handed the project of making the sequel for one of the most popular western-rpgs of this generation. Oh yeah, and have you heard they're making 'Dungeon Siege III'? I'm drooling for a good action-rpg on the console, but just hearing that Obsidian are making it gives me shivers.
  • garnsr - August 23, 2010 4:58 p.m.

As long as it's easy to go back. I tend to make at least three saves for any game, so it's not usually a big deal, but it's nice to have some warning that you're at the point that you won't be able to go back again before the end. Bioshock autosaved after it was too late to go back and amp up your character, so if you hadn't hard saved right before that you could get stuck without enough power to finish. I don't see any problem with a definite ending, though, as long as you know it's coming up.
  • 04whim - August 23, 2010 4:47 p.m.

Nothing like not only shooting your own foot, but shooting your potential buyers in the foot while you're at it, eh, Obsidian?
  • Dabenguin - August 23, 2010 4:40 p.m.

Obsidian fails again.
  • Fiirestorm21 - August 23, 2010 4:38 p.m.

I honestly never felt this to be a big deal in Fallout 3. If I really wanted to explore the world and whatnot I was just fine with booting up an earlier save. And who says they're going to be doing DLC? And who says that if they do it will have to be set after the end of the game? And who says that if it is it has to be set in the world of the main game and not another "world" where the player won't be able to mess up the continuity of the main game's story's ending?
  • totalweapon - August 23, 2010 4:37 p.m.

they are probably going yo make us pay for dlc to cary on exploring again. cheeky sh*ts.
  • FlikNightshade - August 23, 2010 4:34 p.m.

I'm perfectly fine with this if the ending is worth it and as long as they clearly designate the point of no return within the game. My problem with Fallout 3 originally was that it cut you short and the ending was total tripe. If they manage to give me something interesting this time around then I'm more than willing to reboot from a previous save to finish things.
  • EliteM0nk3y - August 23, 2010 4:34 p.m.

If no one liked this in Fallout 3, why would you do it again? Now i have to figure out where the "point of no return" is again.
  • Wing126 - August 23, 2010 4:34 p.m.

Sounds like someone's planning on DLC to change the ending, Like with Fallout 3. :/
  • TENAXIS - August 23, 2010 4:31 p.m.

stupid idea, i wanna kill more shits after i finish the story
  • Defguru7777 - August 23, 2010 4:31 p.m.

I thought they learned their lesson in Fallout 3. Yes I want to have a good ending and yes, I want to keep playing. I shouldn't have to choose between the two. Another good example of having stuff to do after beating the game is Pokemon Gold/Silver/HeartGold/SoulSilver. After you beat the game you got a whole new country to explore! And 8 new gyms! That's how you do it!