Topics

E3 E3 2012

• TheFabricOfTime - June 8, 2012 4:18 p.m.

I think that video games have gotten violent. Not that that's a problem for people who like them, it's just not something I prefer. I enjoy games like Grand Theft Auto and all that, but not because it was super realistic. Trying to make a realistic game is one thing, but to paint realism in human blood? It's just not the way I would've seen things. There are so many stones unturned. Let us deck out giant robots and have them destroy cities. Give us a magical radio that with the change of stations changes the world. Have us shrink down in a huge house and fight off gigantic centipedes. Come on big game developers, get creative and stop pumping out so-called "hardcore" games. Games can be hardcore without having someone killed every ten seconds.
  • avantguardian - June 8, 2012 5:32 p.m.

games have always been violent. i didn't play combat! for hours with my brother on the 2600 for the awesome controls/graphics. it was about blowing the shit out of each other with tanks (they were supposed to be tanks, anyway). don't even get me started on the raging plumber who slaughters countless amounts of (mostly) defenseless little animals seemingly going about their own business;) also, f.y.i., your examples (except the radio one) are violent. removing the human element doesn't make it any less so. it's like a pescotarian claiming to be a vegetarian.
  • TheFabricOfTime - June 9, 2012 1:14 p.m.

I don't hate violent games, I'm just saying they should use the new tech to demonstrate some new stuff instead of just for more blood and explosions.
  • e1337prodigy - June 8, 2012 3:49 p.m.

I agree with Mr Houghton to some extent. Violence is good in games, its an entertainment business and there is violence is other forms of entertainment, so why not; that's all fine with me also but it's when people openly cheer and clap at an extremely gruesome bit. I get a bit annoyed when I hear the stupid E3 crowds watching the videos all collectively say "wooaaahhh", cheer and clap. It's only because there is something in the game that hasn't been done before or just looks amazing... However, you don't hear people going "wooaaahhhh" in a movie when Bruce Willis shoots someone's head off; ok you might get a few but not like the same reaction you get at these conferences.
  • Edias - June 8, 2012 5:01 p.m.

That's because Willis is an actor, not a bit of programming. It's also being shown in a different context. You watch movies and that's all that you do. At E3 you see things that you're eventually going to be able to play. Very different. It's natural to get enthusiastic about something that looks fun/enjoyable; and when I say that I'm not talking about shotguns to faces alone but that is part of the fun. That said, people do cheer, whoop, etc. at movies. If something looks cool enough, or is emotional enough, it's bound to get a reaction from the crowd; and there's nothing wrong with that. When people like Houghton say otherwise, they're essentially criticizing people for enjoying the very things that they themselves enjoy in private. It's both highly hypocritical and annoying. To sum it up; he got too much of a good thing at E3 and so he decided to whine about it, turning it into an issue so that he could make himself feel better about himself and his job. It probably even worked.
  • Darkhawk - June 8, 2012 3:46 p.m.

Amen, brother. At this point, you're far from the first to speak out on this, but it's vital that journalists call other journalists out. Video games are an art form, just as films are an art form. When Michael Bay makes a billion dollars, it's no different from CoD making a billion dollars: mass entertainment, boffo box office. What IS different is that the people writing on film know that Bay is an idiot, whereas it seems like games journalists have bought into the whole juvenility that games are supposed to be getting away from. There will luckily always be treasures like Journey or Braid, just as there will always be arthouse films. I just wish the games press wouldn't be the mass consumers their readers are.
  • Edias - June 8, 2012 4:36 p.m.

Journalists are supposed to be for the people. They're not some elite class all unto themselves.
  • cgriff63 - June 8, 2012 2:57 p.m.

This is the first article that made me take a big step back and evaluate not only everyone else, but myself. I really appreciate articles like these, and I respect you for posting it.
  • RonnyLive19881 - June 8, 2012 2:34 p.m.

Main reason Nintendo is the best, they don't want to scare you off with violence. Nintendo makes games that while being fun aren't out there to make you feel like a killer. They want you to feel smart playing their games. Instead of exploding heads off of people to get your rocks off they give you challenges like beat a level for the first time, after that see if you can get all the secrets and beat your time, later bring a friend into the mix. Nintendo focuses on gameplay NOT violence(yeah there is some violence but nothing that should give you nightmares, if they want to scare you they will be more clever about it, just think back to that piano in SM64 or the Re-Deads in Ocarina of Time Lol). In the end I feel exactly the same way, the game industry needs to clean its act up because after watching E3 they are making us gamers look like douche bags that stay up all night playing Halo/COD/Uncharted and buy games like God of War just to see some digital titties Lol
  • gingermidget - June 8, 2012 2:21 p.m.

To be fair, I think in The Last Of Us people were cheering at how good the AI was and how good it looks, because that's what got me excited about it
  • ninjaemperor - June 8, 2012 2:33 p.m.

I agree, it seemed to be a cheer of appreciation for how realistic and mature the death was, I didn't see it as bro'd out.
  • azureguy - June 8, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Remember when Portal 2 was awarded best game of 2012 (together with Skyrim) and people were like "Oh my gosh, a sequel to a puzlle game that is not as magical and original as the first one gets GOTY, the industry is going down!". Looking back, we should applaud Valve for even making games that are not so hardcore-violent (in fact, Portal 1 + 2 have no violence caused by the player, just dangerous robots and environmental hazards).
  • azureguy - June 8, 2012 2:14 p.m.

I meant Best Game of 2011, not 2012. Stupid influence of awards that use the next year instead of the actual year in their naming scheme be damned!
  • CitizenThom - June 8, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Sure, a gang of people is stalking a building looking to commit lethal violence against you... and faced with that sitution every human being...of course... should be in a rush to grant as much mercy as possible. This same 'violence is always wrong' meme has been ruining movie reviews for at least the last five years, and now we're going to have a bunch of video game journalist start up? The morality of most actions is heavily dependant on the context, the truth is, violence can stop violence a whole lot better than pacifism. Violence will stop thugs from taking your life... and pacifism will let them take not only your life, but possibly the next poor soul that walks into their presence. Go take a look at the less priveledged parts of the world before you start with the ivory tower bullpucky that is 'All violence is wrong'.
  • Twilitlord - June 8, 2012 2:49 p.m.

Sure, but does that mean we have to cheer "yeah! Shotgun to the face"? I agree with your point. But he's not even saying what you say he is. He's saying that even watching a game which tries to to make that necessary violence feel grisly, realistic and undesireable, we whoop and cheer and fist-bump. I don't know about you, but if I had to kill a guy who was begging for his life - and I mean there was no other option available - I wouldn't be laughing about it.
  • Edias - June 8, 2012 4:20 p.m.

They're cheering and whooping in the same way that some people watching horror flicks would. Sure; if it were really happening they wouldn't be acting like that but it's a testament to the art, and to the degree of realism that they have expressed within the context of the game, that they they do that. It's not just about the violence; it's about the experience, it's about the storytelling. We live with mundane in our lives, we don't expect it from our video games. Well, at least some of us don't. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to; but he doesn't have to take up issue with the industry, with his peers and with people in general just because he didn't like it. I'm fine with his opinion, I'm not fine with his attitude.
  • CitizenThom - June 9, 2012 11:44 a.m.

True I don't think I'd be laughing about it, if it was me doing the shooting. All the same, I like that video games are starting to respect the context that the game is trying to portray. I cheered at home when I saw the end of that trailer, because the character did the right thing, not because of the violence for iolence sake, but because of the violence within it's given context was the right thing. I've hated the couple times in real life where I've been told, "You shouldn't have done that, you could've gotten hurt," just because the person saying those words was willing to let something bad happen as long as they themselves didn't get hurt. Such people hide behind the self righteousness of pacifism, when truth is they're just saving their own skin rather than doing the right thing. I appreciate any entertainment that says to do something when we so often get the message to do nothing in the face of violence. It warrants some whooping and fist-bumping in my opinion.
  • Edias - June 8, 2012 1:51 p.m.

The Last of Us has its context (protecting a little girl, if not her sensibilities), E3 has its context (as a show house for games), the gamers/journalist have their context (they actually enjoy what they're cheering about) but this article has nothing but a high horse and a pretense about usually enjoying these things. If you don't really enjoy your job, I'm sure that someone else would be more than happy to take it; or maybe you should simply stick to writing about Nintendo and its ilk, Mr. Houghton.
  • HappyGamer100 - June 8, 2012 1:43 p.m.

Sure most of the high profile games are violent and that is a problem. There needs to be diversity in creativity. But with that said i love my violence and The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, and Hitman gets me all kinds of excited. The latest Hitman trailer was cool too, cant believe people got their panties in a bunch
  • Bynowyouknow - June 8, 2012 1:35 p.m.

I think the problem isn't gaming journalists, but people as a whole. I'm sure that a lot of the people at the conferences and in those rooms laughed and cheered out of being intimidated when someone else near them joined in. There were probably many with the same opinion as you that even joined in. There are times when any of us are afraid to stick out. The times that we do like right now with Mr. Houghton are what matter. No people wont cheer for rape in video games like one of the others said but an immature few will snicker. It's not right but it's not the industry it's people. We don't educate everyone enough on humanity. That's the real problem. People involved with the industry arent going backwards to where celebrating selling a girl into slavery or here being raped and murdered is going to be the norm. Humans are just as wicked as we've ever been. There are weak and strong among us. Not everyone cheered at the end of The Last of Us demo, I'm sure many sighed that in that moment they survived and wondered what they'd do in a similar situation.
  • winner2 - June 8, 2012 1:20 p.m.

I'm gonna go back to watching an incredibly gory anime show and keep thinking the powers that slice people up are cool.