• Bloodstorm - June 15, 2010 12:17 p.m.

I have to disagree. The guy showing it off was taking his time to show the audience, but I bet in a race, controller versus hands free, Kinect would smoke the controller, or at least keep up with it. Sure some things might be slower, but voice the most base of the navigation before you get deep into movie menus or anything like that, would be faster. That said, I have no interest in Kinect (Stupid name by the way). I'm not playing games to sweat, and I'm no casual gamer wanting to destroy bricks and play with animals. I just want one of the purty new Xbox's, Reach, and Gears 3.
  • Fiirestorm21 - June 15, 2010 12:17 p.m.

One hundred percent agree. Even captured that "second problem" at the end there that I've had with Natal/Kinect from Day One. Even though I had to agree that the motion-based, voice-controlled interface out of Minority Report was really cool... As soon as the conference ended I found myself wondering why or if I would ever practically need to use it, or would want to use it outside a few initial goes for the cool factor. Touch screen control is a new and futuristic method of controlling things that it actually taking off because it tends as physical and responsive as a button with almost the same margin of error. (The differences being minimal.) That's why it works, and why this interface won't.
  • lozarian - June 15, 2010 12:17 p.m.

Absolutely my opinion on most motion control devices. Almost all motion control is shoehorned in for no reason, the times when it does work, it's simply replacing a button press - zelda/mario kart/strikers There's no need to make everything with motion control, simply because you can, and it will appeal to a casual audience: "look, you can do stupid shit whilst playing this game too!" "No complicated control systems, just in case you're too much of a mouth breathing knuckle dragger to manage buttons!" We can but hope developers will see kinect/move/whatever for its true colours - the castlevania guys already said they deliberately won't use move, because it would be a cheap marketing gimmick. I also somewhat disagree that trying to grab a slice of the nintendo pie is good business sense. Being involved in the steaming pile of shovelware that will inevitably rise from attracting casual gamers can only damage your reputation. Then when the casual gamers get distracted by something shiny and jump ship you're left with crap games that nobody wants to buy. Not to mention the price of the console is a significant matter when appealing to 6 year olds, and people who have the taste of 6 year olds. Not that I'm bitter, I just bought a wii at the start hoping for great things, for solid gameplay backed up by the superior controls inherent in the wii. FPS games work a dozen times better with the pointer, and metroid prime's controls are immersive and intuitive. Twilight princess's controls worked fabulously. For my faith, I was rewarded with ninjabread man and carnival games 9001. My wii has been untouched for 8 months. And now I've realised my on-topic points devolved into a general rantle (sic). If I write any more you could employ me as the resident grumpy old bastard.
  • speno93 - June 15, 2010 12:17 p.m.

ho hum, onto the next motion-control-crap-we-dont-need fuelled press conference. oh well, at least we got to see GOW3 and MGS Rising
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - June 15, 2010 12:16 p.m.

and it works with magic
  • IsaacFenix - June 15, 2010 12:14 p.m.

I want my own pet Kinect tiger! I can't wait to stroke the air around me like an lobotomized mental patient that I'll begin NOW! <-- Sarcasm btw
  • dimomarg - June 15, 2010 12:13 p.m.

Stuff like that has me wondering: What's the problem with buttons?
  • PirateJim131 - June 15, 2010 12:09 p.m.

Anyone else scared how IDIOCRACY is basically a prophecy of American culture? This crap just furthers my belief. The world as we know it is being overrun with stupid and exactly why a cuddly kitten avatar mimicking (overly exaggerated i might add, watch that video of Alice Liang playing Kinicmals or whatever the hell its called poor kitten is working far harder then she is) Pass as exercise or a wii fit /shudder.
  • Ricard0 - June 15, 2010 12:07 p.m.

So so true. After all the talk they did about it did they announce any 'proper' games?
  • superstud - June 15, 2010 12:06 p.m.

Ha can it detect when I'm nerd raging and calm me down with pictures of giant demonic kittens. This thing will suck giant flabby ass unless something decent is done with it right away.
  • loonyman978 - June 15, 2010 12:04 p.m.

I feel exactly the same way, great article.
  • spawny0908 - June 15, 2010 12:04 p.m.

Well put. I completely agree!
  • Seyu - June 15, 2010 12:03 p.m.

Seems to me that Sony's heading off in the right direction with Move, just give people some mature (looking)motion control games with HD. Only the MGS trailer got me excited in the MS con.
  • Zeapron - June 15, 2010 12:02 p.m.

To me Kinect just looks like an Eyetoy that got boostet. Anyone remember that thing?
  • allthegoodnameswheretaken - June 15, 2010 12:01 p.m.

Why motion control? WHY?!?!
  • kit07 - June 15, 2010 noon

i agree fully. all this reminds me of is the PS eye. i had one, and it was fun for a bit with friends but then that was it. and it was cheap to, i think something like 50 bucks. and that's one thing they haven't mentioned yet (or have they? i havent read everything yet there is so much) what is the price on kinect? anything over 100 dollars and i see this failing. hardcore gamers wont bother, and casual gamers probably already own a Wii and wouldnt see the point. motion control can go die.
  • Kirol - June 15, 2010 11:55 a.m.

Hear hear. Moneygrabbing Microsoft once again show us their talent of bringing out another way to take out funds from our coffers, into theirs. My prediction: mediocre fail.