• johngrybos - May 19, 2010 2:13 a.m.

I wouldn't mind if my PS3 AC2 gamedata was saved to the cloud. After the removal of Linux, I formatted my HDD to recover the 10 gigs set aside for Ubuntu, and jerky Ubisoft locked my own save files. My save files! Why?
  • Hydrohs - May 19, 2010 12:53 a.m.

@Psylockerules They've been doing that for years and it didn't work. that's why we have DRM systems like we do today O_o
  • BigTuna - May 19, 2010 12:50 a.m.

I'm going in with "necessary evil" as well. I have never illegally downloaded anything but I have several friends who do and it really bugs me. Blame the pirates, not the companies trying to protect thier products.
  • justinbanda - May 19, 2010 12:13 a.m.

This was a great article. At the end of the day, I think that publishers are eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later, when the damage has been done to public relations) going to realize that draconian DRM only serves to alienate paying customers while encouraging piracy (almost like a dare; "Hack me if you can!" followed by a *wink wink*). I'm all in favor of effective DRM, but so-called 'solutions', such as EA's '$10 Dollar Solution' and Ubisoft's harsh internet requirement simply don't work as intended. So what's effective DRM look like? Batman: Arkham Asylum. Essentially, give pirates a tantalizing preview, or 'demo', if you will, and suddenly stop them from advancing beyond a certain point. That's why Arkharm Asylum's DRM was effective: if you liked the incomplete, pirated version, you'll go out and buy the real thing. THAT is an effective solution, not screwing over paying customers. We'll see how other major publishers (Square-Enix, Rockstar, and Nintendo) approach DRM in the future. So far, this problem is only limited to PC gaming, which doesn't directly affect me, as a PS3 user. Anyways, great article again. Recaptcha: day christie
  • theturbolemming - May 18, 2010 11:33 p.m.

I'm throwing in my vote for necessary evil. Some people claim they only pirate because they find DRM to be an annoyance, but some people are dirty liars.
  • Psylockerules - May 18, 2010 11:17 p.m.

i really think DRm is neccesary thats the only way piracy wil sotop. cant they just put an individual code on the disc that u have to put in to start the game?
  • chrisda - May 18, 2010 11:14 p.m.

that was the longest first I've ever seen. but really though, DRM is a plague among PC gamers, making me buy a whole new Far Cry 2, come on.
  • doom90885 - May 18, 2010 10:37 p.m.

When game developers claim lost sales on the PC they blame piracy. When they lose sales on consoles its used games sales. The fact that they cry about used game sales will expose their "concern" about piracy. While they can use piracy as a valid scapegoat for revenue possibly lost, they cannot make a similar arguement with used game sales. Unless it becomes law that EVERY type of purchase under the sun cannot be resold (and that won't happen), they can't condemn used games sales. And I firmly believe this whole DRM thing is nothing more than a scheme to prevent resales than to prevent piracy.