• garnsr - April 3, 2012 8:11 p.m.

I'm not sure what the value of keeping the name Devil May Cry is if it isn't really related to the other games with the title. If changing the game hurts it in the eyes of fans, how much does it help it to have the name at all? Why not a new IP by Ninja Theory that plays like Devil May Cry, or Bayonetta, or God of War, or the numerous games that play similarly? Does it really help a game that much to not be a new IP, even if it isn't the same as the IP we think we already know and like? Nothing in this article really shows why we need a new version of DMC, it seems like we just need a new game by Ninja Theory.
  • shawksta - April 3, 2012 8:08 p.m.

hmm....I guess ill bite, ive been mixed on this one, but lets see how well the gameplay,story and overall content holds up, the artstyle does look great. 1 thing Cooper, I like the old Dante BECAUSE he's a "Ninja Turtle" XD
  • bebl09 - April 3, 2012 8:06 p.m.

"No weird demon-arm son, no estranged brother." I can understand the complaints about Nero, I don't know why they had him as the protagonist in DMC4. But complaining about Vergil? He is easily one of the best characters in the series and made the story of DMC3 actually pretty interesting, not to mention he was freaking awesome to play as in the special edition of DMC3, possibly even better than Dante.
  • magusat999 - April 3, 2012 7:46 p.m.

I liked Bayonneta - except for the music (oh gawd awful girly pants msuic...). I like the DMC series, but I thought Nero was totally unnecessary and to much like Dante - we could have just kept Dante. Instead of "rebooting" and remaking Dante as this new Keanu Reeves looking dude, they could have rebooted and made this guy a son of Dante instead. They could have replaced Nero, who again was too much like Dante, with this character. That would have given the game a distinctive and fresh difference while not breaking the story.
  • Immerel08 - April 3, 2012 6:10 p.m.

Bayonetta.... Better?! Seriously?! That is complete trash. Bayonets tried way too hard to be like DMC and I for one thought it was extremely lame. I had a hard time finishing it honestly. As far as the new Dante goes I think that the look does not suit, but NT has a lot of potential so I look forward to this game, though I will miss the more bada** version of Dante.
  • OohWiiUILookJustLikeBuddyHolly - April 3, 2012 5:40 p.m.

Look at number 9. Which is more likely to try and suck your dick? Yes, that is correct. Old Dante is far more effeminate than new Dante so can we stop being pathetic fanboys and move on with our lives. For the combat, well nothing will surpass Bayonetta and in my opinion DMC combat was never that amazing. It will be fine but the dumbasses out there will take it upon themselves to metabomb it like ME3 and MW3 was.
  • archnite - April 3, 2012 5:36 p.m.

This list should have 2 entries: DMC 4 - meh vs. Enslaved - inspiring., there for by the power invested in me I pronounce DmC the new Devil May Cry.
  • n00b - April 3, 2012 4:41 p.m.

"Ninja Theory is awesome" wrong Ninja Theory can come up with interesting ideas for games but stumble with gameplay. both Heavenly Sword and Enslaved were good ideas with great art but ultimately lackluster gameplay. DMC is all about style and gameplay and i will admit they have they style going, i will remain cynical until i can play the game for myself to determine if gameplay is any good. but i am willing to give it a chance
  • PanicJester - April 3, 2012 4:38 p.m.

I don't mind them changing Dante's image but did they have to turn him into a emo version of Justin Bieber...
  • ObliqueZombie - April 3, 2012 6:39 p.m.

Right, because the original version who looks like he belongs in Asking Alexandria is better.
  • PanicJester - April 3, 2012 10:19 p.m.

Hence the reason i said i don't mind them changing it. =]
  • nai1210 - April 3, 2012 4:20 p.m.

Yep Enslaved was a fantastic game for it's story and characters,top notch voice acting and beautifull scenery,but the combat was pretty average at best and the game suffered from some severe frame rate issues especially that boat level,I love devil may cry and i couldn't care less about it's story the sole reason i played the game's where for the combat system which was awesome in the third game,think i'll just wait for bayonetta 2(hopefully there will be one)
  • PlainLikeVanilla - April 3, 2012 4:01 p.m.

Wow so many negative Nancys on here. I for one am looking forward to this game.
  • samsneeze - April 3, 2012 3:49 p.m.

I've always that the Devil May Cry series was pretty average to bad, so whatever becomes of this game, I'm certain I won't care either way.
  • samsneeze - April 3, 2012 4:34 p.m.

*I've always thought that the Devil May Cry series was pretty average to bad.
  • FOZ - April 3, 2012 3:42 p.m.

DMC needed a developer who isn't Capcom, at any rate. When was the last time Capcom (first party games) did something right that wasn't a fighting game? DMC3 had terrible level design (the chess piece maze? enthralling), and I heard DMC4 just recycles half the game and boss fights. But I still don't get by Dante has to be a haggard guy with weird hair.
  • ParagonT - April 3, 2012 3:40 p.m.

Most of these "reasons" are pretty repetitive and not logically biased and more based on your "what you want the game to be." I will address a few of the problem I see and differ on: The art is too fruity (like DMC4), the DMC series is supposed to be a more dark series with a dark tone, not a bowl of fruit loops. I doubt having most creatures out in the middle of the day in these bright worlds are very scary or have a "threat" factor. It's almost like having -Left 4 Dead- becoming -Left 4 Dead 2- for me, they just got ridiculous and removed the "threat" and scare factor. Also, DMC's have always been about the typical "superhero" protagonist with extraordinary powers, to try and break away from the series and shell out a "different game" is a bit.... stupid. Why don't they make a new IP if they're trying to be "different"? Why tie yourself to an existing franchise and try and change it? It's obviously going to have this reaction to it. Some may like it, hell, I may like it, but so far I'm not even close to being compelled to put down money for this. In all, I'm not impressed.
  • ParagonT - April 3, 2012 3:43 p.m.

Also, when I say "different game" I don't mean that they be repetitive with the franchise, I mean them trying to change the universe in a whole. This is all only dependent on what he claims will happen, I frankly think they are going for a more connected sub-galaxy. If that makes any sense.
  • BladedFalcon - April 3, 2012 4:46 p.m.

"The art is too fruity (like DMC4), the DMC series is supposed to be a more dark series with a dark tone, not a bowl of fruit loops." I am sorry, but i heavily disagree. I don't ever recall the games being about that at all. While the series has always been about demons and demon hunters, it never really tried to be scary or all that threatening. To me, it's always been about being stylish and over the top. From the very first game this was evident with the gameplay: It's not a survival horror game, it's an action game that rewards you from pulling crazy combo chains and dealing with ridiculously over the top bosses. And if anything, dmc3 the most universally beloved game of the franchise drives that point further: Everything that happens is even more ridiculous and over the top, hell, the game even gives you an electrical guitar for a weapon, how is that in any way supposed to be dark? I love both DMC1 and DMC3 for these reasons, but I would never really consider them dark
  • Clovin64 - April 4, 2012 3:54 a.m.

Interesting point,but while I wouldnt go as far to say that DMC is a horror game persay, I would say one of my favourite things about the original DMC was the way it managed to mix both campy OTT-ness and a darker more atmospheric vibe. Seriously, look at the atmospheric gothic enviroments, the dark corriders, the forboding architecture, and the wasted-away outdoor enviroments. Then of course there's the soundtrack with supplies a creepy ambience during the exploration segments. Its not until enemies pop out that the metal music kicks in and Dantes all like "YYEEEAAAHHH BABY!". When you're not fighting in DMC, theres a genuinly atmospheric creepy feel to the enviroments and the music. Just go listen to some of the tracks from the soundtrack on youtube. Anyhoo, I hope the DmC manages to keep this mix of camp and creepy. The creepiness kinda diminished with later installments.