• Ichthus5 - December 7, 2012 1:54 p.m.

Time travel. Calling it now - time travel.
  • yodajones - December 7, 2012 12:39 p.m.

Dear Mr. Videogame Journalist Trying To Show off His Education: Walt Whitman was a poet, not a shortstory writer or novelist. If you are going to make a reference at least know about what you are referencing.
  • yodajones - December 7, 2012 3:07 p.m.

I still love you though Coop...:)
  • GR HollanderCooper - December 7, 2012 7:57 p.m.

I wrote it at 3AM! Fixed ;)
  • nick-stancato - December 7, 2012 10:32 a.m.

I never played the first two. But PS+ just released B2 for free plus this comes with the original. Im looking forward to playing through them
  • winner2 - December 7, 2012 9:50 a.m.

Great article, that's a lot of great info. I especially like how there are optional side quests. Columbia is one place I'd really love to explore every last bit of, just like rapture. However, I'm still really curious about the songbird.
  • CitizenWolfie - December 7, 2012 9:02 a.m.

Wait, Elizabeth spent 20 years locked up in a tower, used that time to study lockpicking but didn't pick her way out of said tower? I'm looking forward to this. Bioshock is the one game this generation that I wish I loved (but for whatever reason, I didn't) so hopefully Infinite will win me round. Does anybody know if it's going to be a case of "You need to play the originals to really appreciate it?" Anyway, I hear the original Bioshock comes included with pre-orders so that might not matter. My only real concern is the whole game being a giant escort mission looking after Elizabeth.
  • pl4y4h - December 7, 2012 9:33 a.m.

Given that the locations and time periods are different, I would assume you don't need to play the originals. Since it's its own story i'm sure the appreciation will come through itself
  • CitizenWolfie - December 7, 2012 9:44 a.m.

I was thinking more in terms of references to the original. For example if there are cameos or events that hint at something to do with Rapture's origin. But I see what you mean though and I hope you're right.
  • zombi3grim - December 10, 2012 10:28 a.m.

I wouldnt worry about it being an escort mission with elizabeth. Alot of other gamers thought the same thing but everyone who has played the game has said its nothing like that. Elizabeth holds her own and hides when she has to. She also aids you by giving you ammo and phasing items in for you to use.
  • alex-roy-bristol - December 7, 2012 7:51 a.m.

I don't think she'll be that much of a gopher bro, don't worry about it. She didn't seem to help too much in the more "looking around and finding shit" parts, like when they (see: Booker) where looking for weapons and the likes, she was just pointing stuff out like an adorable kid in a super-market.
  • Ectoman - December 7, 2012 7:33 a.m.

Happy for it to be delayed but i still desperately want to play this game
  • ObliqueZombie - December 7, 2012 6:21 a.m.

Glad to know that Ken isn't backing down from controversy. I sure as hell like the racial slurs, it'll make for a very vulgar but true experience. The combat, too, is looking good, but I'll just be beating a dead horse with that one. Shame it was pushed back, but more time to pay off the Collector's Edition! And about the box art? That is absolutely STELLAR news!
  • Marcunio88 - December 7, 2012 6:14 a.m.

Hey Coop, can you tell us what platform you played the game on? Those screens look like they came from the PC version, too smooth for PS3 / 360 surely. Either way, thanks for making me even more excited for this. Bioshock Infinite, GTA V, and possible new hardware launches are making 2013 look pretty damn exciting!
  • Travia220 - December 7, 2012 5:36 a.m.

I don't like that Elizabeth is a gopher in the game. She is basically taking the exploration out of the game. Which is something that games seem to start lacking more and more. Having a gopher do it for you means you are basically on rails. While a character finding thing for you is useful it's also detrimental to the game and takes a big part of the game away. Although instant gratification without effort is typically all the rage this day in age.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 7, 2012 6:19 a.m.

The exploration is still in tact. Head over to PCGamer to make sure of that. She'll just be key to progressing in certain areas, or she'll simply be the one to open secret doors for hidden powers you couldn't normally get.
  • BladedFalcon - December 7, 2012 8:25 a.m.

I think you're assuming too much. The way they write about it, it seems that she will only point stuff out like that while in COMBAT. IE when you are usually too busy keeping yourself alive to have a clear bearings of where useful things are that could aid you. That I have no problem with. If she sniffed everything out while not in combat, then yes, that would be a problem, but I don't believe that is the case. Dragon's Dogma did a good thing with that as well, in which the pawns gathered a few things lying around, but never everything, or the most important stuff, so you had still a very big incentive to explore and look out for yourself.