We Recommend

• First,_the_whores! - March 21, 2014 9:42 a.m.

No Starflight? I cry shenanigans on that!
  • tr1ggerf1nger - March 12, 2014 11:51 a.m.

General Chaos. Loved that game.
  • Johnny_Reb - March 7, 2014 11:23 p.m.

Heh sensible soccer gave you that option to change names, yet you fail to you mention that baseball stars on the nes did it 4-5 yrs earlier. Yet, RBI baseball is in that list of top NES games yet Baseball Stars is not?
  • Sinsational - March 7, 2014 6:24 p.m.

No Altered Beast? So disappointing.
  • TheGreyWizard - March 7, 2014 8:14 a.m.

Some really good games are missing from this list and you can't remotely be serious for not putting Crusader Of Centy at #1, let alone on the list at all.
  • mafyooz - March 7, 2014 12:02 a.m.

MegaDrive had some damn cool games alright :) Musha Aleste, The Immortal, Decap Attack and Buck Rodgers: Countdown to Doomsday were probably my favourites though
  • jedisamurai - March 6, 2014 8:03 p.m.

Correction: The best home version of the original Outrun is on SEGA Ages for Saturn, along with the best home version of Afterburner (which is why I own it).
  • Relayer71 - March 6, 2014 5:45 p.m.

What a powerhouse of a system. The Saturn pales in comparison and while the Dreamcast is beloved, it just doesn't come close to having the amount of great games on the Genesis. So many awesome games, largely forgotten. And Phantasy Star IV... ah. One of the greatest JRPGs of all time but never spoken of in the same breath as Chrono Trigger (which I believe had some of the same developers) and Final Fantasy VI (III). And what is wrong with you Sega!!! Bring this series back proper! The Diablo-like multiplayer PS games are great but you need to bring Phantasy Star V to life! Hell, I wouldn't mind a remake of this (ala FF IV for the DS) for the Vita or 3DS.
  • MysticDefender - March 6, 2014 4:21 p.m.

At least GameRadar got this list right, not like there list for Sega Master System that was so wrong
  • heelstarkiller - March 6, 2014 12:03 p.m.

Comix Zone Is Way Too Low.
  • DirkSteele1 - March 6, 2014 11:37 a.m.

A few unexpected choices among the 50 as well as many predictable ones, but that is because they are great. I might have ordered some of the top few a little differently but I am pleased to see Virtua Racing in there. Viewing it with PS360 visuals in mind as many do, I feel this one gets a bit of the cold shoulder in retrospective looks, but if you were there when that came out, it was absolutely mind blowing. Having sunk a lot of £1 coins in the arcade machine I was more than happy to hand over £70 for slice of that magic at home. Imagination might have filled in a bit of the missing detail, but it looked great (importantly for a Sega fan, way better than Stunt Race FX on the SNES) and it played great.
  • newmachine - March 6, 2014 9:35 a.m.

Not on the list, but Vectorman and Vectorman 2 was my favorite!
  • Relayer71 - March 6, 2014 6:28 p.m.

Vectorman should have been on the list! It came out at the end of the system's lifespan though, so I can see many not having played it. That was a very cutting edge game, graphically speaking, for a 16 bit system. Sort of taking the baton from Donkey Kong Country and the SNES, and proving these systems still had plenty of surprises left in them in their respective twilights.
  • winner2 - March 6, 2014 9:31 a.m.

BOOM SHAKALAKA
  • Darkhawk - March 7, 2014 5:40 a.m.

He's heating up...
  • SouthTippBass - March 6, 2014 9:06 a.m.

Loads of games missing from this list. Rocket Knight Adventures, Ecco, Another World, Eternal Champions, Shinobi 3, Lost Vikings, Vectorman, Dynamite Heddy, Alien Soldier, Probotector (seriously, Probotector should be in the top 5) Thor. Seriously, this list needs to be revised.
  • SouthTippBass - March 6, 2014 9:08 a.m.

And God dammit let me edit my comments already, I used seriously twice in that post.
  • DirkSteele1 - March 6, 2014 11:40 a.m.

Thor is in there at number 38. Known as Beyond Oasis in some regions. Certainly agree with some of your choices there. Just tells you there were a lot of great games on Sega's 16-bit machine.
  • shotgunalchemist - March 6, 2014 8:41 a.m.

Really good list, totally agree with the top 10, but you left one one of my favourite games of all time that always gets left of these lists; Dynamite Heady. It was released right at the end of the cycle but was, arguable, the best looking game on the console and had the gameplay to back it up. The hoover head alone should have earned it a space.