• RolfJr - February 23, 2012 3:23 a.m.

You forgot one major type of DRM, which is "account-based DRM." These are games in which there are (usually) no persistent internet requirements, but you must be logged into a service (e.g. Origin) in order to install and play the game. Some small indie devs do this as well. It has one of the same major downsides as every other type of DRM, which is that once the servers get shut down, you lose the game forever.
  • Gene - February 23, 2012 12:41 a.m.

This should have been written by TotalHalibut.
  • Cyberninja - February 22, 2012 7:44 p.m.

my question is why do people have a double standard when it comes to games series with alot of game that don't change much in each installment? because i see people complain about there being to many dynasty warriors games but openly support something like CoD or Madden on a yearly basis
  • Sinosaur - February 22, 2012 10:42 p.m.

My opinion? The people complaining about how little one franchise updates are likely not fans of that franchise in the first place. If you love how a game plays, you're less likely to gripe when that doesn't change. Some games, though, are actually fairly mediocre and keep pumping out more of the same, and mediocre can get really, really stale.
  • talleyXIV - February 23, 2012 6:07 p.m.

I think as of late, people are starting to notice these franchises are really ridiculous. I have noticed a lot of people are very disappointed with MW3 and its copy/paste approach to being a sequel. The thing I think separating CoD from being hated entirely is the online play. Every time you enter a new lobby it is kind of a new game, new people to talk to, new map or game mode. Dynasty Warriors, I have never played it but I don't think it has online play so I think it gets pretty noticeable when the campaign feels the same for the seventh time. I think CoD switches it up alright, Treyarch especially mixes things up (they are the obviously better developer) but IW keeps things the same. In the case of Madden, it is complete bull shit, those games need to stop. I can't really judge Dynasty Warriors though.
  • Andrew Groen - February 23, 2012 6:11 p.m.

That's a really good question, but I doubt there's a definitive answer to that. In all likelihood, the answer is just "fanboys are dumb."
  • JADENkOTOR - February 22, 2012 7:26 p.m.

I haven't been on GR in a while... DRM is every publishers right and they are only going to implement it more in the future. @thatguyfromtv: Go to college... preferably a good one. Then after you graduate... go BACK to college. If you are lucky you might get a job 7 years from now.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - February 22, 2012 6:44 p.m.

I'm gonna take the chance to put in another question here, maybe you guys can help me with this: what do hiring companies look for in a potential game dev and why? If we wanted to get into game design as a profession, what should we be doing to prepare for it?
  • forestfire55 - February 22, 2012 6:34 p.m.

I would like to know slot of the "firsts" of gaming. Like the first game to have online play, or the first cps or first 3d game etc
  • Andrew Groen - February 23, 2012 6:13 p.m.

Hmmm...Yeah that could be a good one. Thanks for the question forestfire. You may end up being the first commenter to get two questions answered. The prize for which is immense personal satisfaction.
  • forestfire55 - February 24, 2012 2:59 p.m.

Thanks :D, but not to brag or anything, but it would be my third... but ya know... who's counting :)
  • Claymore65 - February 22, 2012 4:34 p.m.

DRM is pretty darn annoying, and its a shame it even needs to exist. What people need to learn is that there is no such thing as free entertainment. Priacy is constantly seen as "getting a game for free" not stealing it. Most pirates would never steal a game case from a gamestop, for example, as that feels like stealing. I just wish more people would either wait to buy a game (they get cheaper, especially on Steam) or deal with not being able to buy every game that comes out. If piracy was not so prevalent, we never would have had to deal with DRM in the first place, although persistent online authentication is undoubtedly annoying.
  • violinhero - February 22, 2012 4:27 p.m.

Why is the rank above A-rank S-rank?
  • forestfire55 - February 22, 2012 6:30 p.m.

S is for special...
  • Sinosaur - February 22, 2012 6:44 p.m.

Because 'S' is a cool letter cuz it looks like a snake.
  • Shinn - February 22, 2012 11:10 p.m.

Well, I have mostly noticed it in Japanese games, particularly older ones. I just happen to have studied Japanese for over six years, and I will tell you that 'sugoi' is a Japanese word similar to 'great' or 'cool' etc. So I've always thought that there are the usual grades, a,b,c,d,e,f and then a 'great' grade. Another common translation is 'superb' in which case there would be no need to change the letter used in the English version.
  • BladedFalcon - February 22, 2012 4:24 p.m.

*Laughs reading about the DRM Dark Souls used reminded me of a similar one Serious Sam employed, which was a fast, immortal and PINK scorpion XD Overall though, I think DRM is something that inevitably causes more harm than good. Pirates have always existed, pirates will keep on existing. What they do is obviously illegal and wrong, but putting a generalized barrier rarely ever works on them anyway. It's always easier to destroy a wall than to build one, and developers most likely will never find a proper, fair and 100% pirate proof DRM method anyway. So I just think they should try what Gabe Newell suggests: Treat your customer right, and chances are they will treat you right in return. Yes, there is always the asshole that won't, but those will always exist either way. Furthermore, in my eyes, DRM is a bit of a smaller scale SOPA thing. Something every free thinking mind was against, including this site. Putting generalized really never work, only punish and annoy honest people, and tend up blowing up in the creator's face.
  • Andrew Groen - February 23, 2012 6:20 p.m.

Damn, BladedFalcon. "It's always easier to destroy a wall than to build one." Droppin' some wisdom in this here comment thread. That might be the wisest comment I've ever seen on GR.
  • BladedFalcon - February 23, 2012 6:53 p.m.

*Laughs* And yours might be the best compliment I've ever gotten here XD So thanks ^^
  • kit07 - February 22, 2012 4:14 p.m.

Are Yoshi's eggs edible?