Topics

Windows 8

• laurenhiya21 - November 5, 2012 3:11 p.m.

Yeah I'm sticking with 7 for a while... (not to mention that I only recently-ish started using 7, so I don't really feel like learning a whole new thing again :/)
  • ObliqueZombie - November 5, 2012 3 p.m.

As for the last point: still don't do it. If you plan on being a gamer who uses his PC a lot, just simply don't do it.
  • killorabbit - November 5, 2012 2:08 p.m.

"The only apps you can run in the Metro interface are ones you install from the Windows Store." So...I can't attach any program I like to the tile interface?
  • NathanEdwards - November 5, 2012 2:33 p.m.

You can put a shortcut there, but it'll take you right back to the desktop to launch the program. Only apps from the Windows Store (and the ones that ship with the interface) launch "within" the Metro interface.
  • killorabbit - November 5, 2012 3:31 p.m.

Thanks for clarifying Useful article has been useful. Think I'll put the upgrade off for at least a few more months.
  • db1331 - November 5, 2012 1:58 p.m.

#1: Don't do it
  • Redeater - November 5, 2012 1:40 p.m.

I'll stick with my Windows ME thank you very much. It hasn't let me down in over a decade.
  • Redeater - November 5, 2012 1:43 p.m.

One thing I HATE about the smartglass is how it controls the main menu. I keep wanting to swipe the screen right to left like how tablets and iPhones/Ipads work, not swipe like an analog stick.
  • moncharleskey - November 5, 2012 7:04 p.m.

I'll agree with you there. It's pretty much Xbox Companion from WP7 but with more information, but I do wish they'd let you reverse the axis. I had Windows 7 on my tablet and it was a rough experience. Fabulous for a desktop, but terrible for touchscreens. Windows 8 is so much better for a touch interface, and if you have touch, get it. Totally worth 40 bucks. I haven't upgraded my desktop to Windows 8 and am in no hurry to, but the faster boot time and the file explorer tweaks are really nice, so consider it while it's cheap!
  • ultimatepunchrod - November 5, 2012 1:10 p.m.

I'm running Vista on a non-gaming laptop. I'm not sure if I want anything above 7 if I do upgrade before eventually buying a new PC, but that metro interface nonsense is a real turnoff and should be optional. It's so clearly designed for tablets (as the article said), so I can't understand the logic of putting it on a PC. Weird.
  • J-Fid - November 5, 2012 2:08 p.m.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a Vista desktop that I was going to update to 7. But now 8 is out, and I dont know if I really need 8 over 7. So confusing.
  • NathanEdwards - November 5, 2012 3:43 p.m.

Updating from Vista to 8 is $40; updating from Vista to 7 is more expensive. Like over a hundred bucks more expensive. You don't need 8 over 7, but 8 is easier to get and it's a big improvement over Vista.
  • FierceVoltage - November 5, 2012 4:08 p.m.

Why is 8 cheaper? That makes no sense to me?
  • brickman409 - November 5, 2012 4:41 p.m.

it's almost like they're admitting 8 sucks
  • oshunanat - November 5, 2012 5:32 p.m.

Because it's such a radical change (I mean the last change this big was probably the Win 3.x to 95/98), they're trying to get people to buy into the idea that it's a good thing. The best way to do that is to get average mom and pop users to to try it and like it and say nice things about it. And the easiest way to do -that- is to make the upgrade cheap to entice fence-sitters into making the commitment.
  • J-Fid - November 6, 2012 5:41 a.m.

I can get both for free (I should of mentioned that. Part of some collage deal.) Should I still get 8 over 7?