• Cyberninja - July 21, 2010 7:59 p.m.

you forgot umds break alot.
  • HawtKakez - July 21, 2010 7:42 p.m.

"But what you do you think?"? Joking aside, I really liked the article. Good work.
  • CH3BURASHKA - July 21, 2010 7:10 p.m.

Black consoles FTW. Great article; not enough facepalm pictures, though.
  • BigCj34 - July 21, 2010 6:46 p.m.

Let's not forget Sega with third party games either. After struggling to get support on the SMS due to the NES's all-exclusive third party support, they opened the games to some real crapware on the Mega CD with FMV games, and alienated developers with their unorthodox hardware design with the Sega Saturn. With up to 7 processors and poor documentation for third party-developers making it hard to program for, everyone chose the PlayStation. Come the Dreamcast, large developers (notably EA) refused to support the system and none of the Dreamcast's first party titles could save it when the PS2 was armed with developers it acquired with the PSone! Let's not forget all the third party shovel games on the Atari 2600 either with the great crash.
  • RebornKusabi - July 21, 2010 6:46 p.m.

"Back in the NES days, it was all about uber-restrictive content guidelines. On the SNES, it was the same, until the Nintendo version of Mortal Kombat sold like herpes cake." Herpes cake, huh? Sounds delicious!
  • oryandymackie - July 21, 2010 6:31 p.m.

The original Xbox was a brute - that was one console you wouldn't want to mess with.
  • GodofPS314 - July 21, 2010 5:55 p.m.

Another biased article! FTL
  • 510BrotherPanda - July 21, 2010 5:45 p.m.

Tygerclaws is right about women's self image: first they try to eradicate all instances of fat on the body, and look like skeletons; then Botox and fill the heck out of everything to look like a crap blow up doll. Gross!
  • Clovin64 - July 21, 2010 5:39 p.m.

I admit that a lot of big clunky consoles dont look very nice at all, but I got the slimline PS3 and I think it looks lovely. The original PS3 didnt look that great IMO, and the original Xbox was horrendous.
  • JakeyBaby - July 21, 2010 5:11 p.m.

Absolutely loved reading this. As another mistake, could you argue that Microsoft should have learnt from Sony in regards to the future of gaming being download only. Despite research findings, after more research findings, showing we gamers still like to get something with mass with our money. PSPGo for Sony, and I seem to remember seeing that Microsoft wont adopt Bluray (wether that be because HDDVD lost and they would rather chop off their nose to spite their face, or whatever) in order to go download only.
  • Defguru7777 - July 21, 2010 4:55 p.m.

You guys are crazy. The new Xbox 360 looks freaking great! But very good article Mr. Houghton. I really love articles that look at the games industry as a whole.
  • SouthTippBass - July 21, 2010 4:54 p.m.

Minidiscs are still awesome though.
  • Tygerclaws - July 21, 2010 4:35 p.m.

Oh, so I'm not the only one who thinks the 360 Slim looks ugly as hell. That's good, I was beginning to think I was the only one. Sharp edges != sexy. Isn't that what we keep saying about the original Tekken, along with every other PS1 game? Also women?
  • hardcore_gamer1990 - July 21, 2010 3:56 p.m.

I like the new 360, looks kinda... Badass while looking sexy. ReCaptcha: JFK Hillman. No-fudging way are these words randomly generated. Grassy knoll, anyone?
  • Bloodstorm - July 21, 2010 3:06 p.m.

And the first Xbox might not have looked good (PS2 didn't either) but it wasn't about looks or being compact, it was all about that internal hard drive and power.
  • pin316 - July 21, 2010 3:02 p.m.

Still not sure if the whole SNES-CD thing ended for the best or not. Plus side - we got Playstation - Nintendo had to develop a lot of internal tech negative side - Nintendo suffered N64/GC gen by not supporting CD - Dreamcast died mostly as result of playstation really don't know where i stand
  • Bloodstorm - July 21, 2010 2:58 p.m.

"Ignoring that big black bulky consoles are ugly as hell" Gotta disagree. I hated the switch to white consoles. They are out of place with every other black electronic I have. Black TV, black DVD player, black sound system, black cable box, blaring white Xbox. The new Xbox is just sexy. I love that thing. I'd leave my Elite for it like I left the Pro for the Elite.
  • Ultima - July 21, 2010 2:27 p.m.

I really like my Xbox original, its covered in black armour and virtually indestructable. Shame the Xbox 360 white was the polar opposite. I really like the new Xbox Slim too, but dont call me racist its just a matter of taste :)
  • Ensoul - July 21, 2010 2:12 p.m.

To it's credit the cartridge and mini disc Nintendo used did (practically) eliminate load times. It's a small thing sure, but Legacy of Kain used to drive me nuts with the time it took to load. Anyway we are doomed to repeat this cycle for the same reason many things occur: Money. Proprietary formats, add ons, waggle all done to get more of the consumers money. The design aspect I'm not sure of; seriously it's like someone broke the new 360 in two and couldn't be bother to put it back together properly. (Still want one.)
  • FunkSoulBrother - July 21, 2010 1:45 p.m.

The iron y and hilarity of the article is too much to bare.