• Persephone_ - February 24, 2011 3:35 p.m.

The Ai in Oblivion is so bad I had to use the god-mode cheat just to pass somesections else they were dead in a matter of seconds! Labryth: nice touch :)
  • Jbo87 - February 24, 2011 1:33 p.m.

@pudge That was the exact scene that came to mind when I read crap restart points. Getting nailed by the fucking torque bow and having to do that 5minute slog back up the hill and listen to the (intially amusing) exchange between Marcus and Dom over and over again. Christ that got old fast.
  • JBizFoShiz - February 24, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Crap NPC AI and respawn system? Brings back memories of the first Gears of War. Gears 2 made me love Dom all over again, but I just could not ever get past the first level on the hardest difficulty. I had to get my buddy to play split-screen co-op simply because Dom has the amazing ability to run into gunfire, get himself "killed" then get me actually killed in my attempts to revive him. On the flipside, I loved the girl's AI in Enslaved (mostly because she wasn't in the way)...and the camera wasn't THAT bad...right? reCaptcha: eescumen ofutoL. sounds kinky.
  • Robx - February 24, 2011 1:08 p.m.

This is a master piece, Houghton. I've always thought the same about the lives, while some games add challenge with it (Like Prinny...1000 Lives?! Is that even legal, dood?), the others are just absurd. How useless the team AIs are, spot on. All they do is make noise, their damage is usually from low to none, and few works to distract the enemy or give you cover at all. And entirely agree with the unclear sign-posting. Nothing is more frustrating than having no idea of where to go, specially if it happens with puzzles inside the game, fine, get us to try and solve it, but if you see that a player could spend about 2 hours running hopeless in circles, because he/she missed a certain detail, give some hints! (Kinda like Uncharted) I remember the awful Fade labyrinth in Dragon Age, or certain moments in Mirror's Edge, even on Assassin's Creed. And probably nothing beats the current-status-checkpoints, which could be right before falling to your death...or catching a rocket with your face...or accidentally killing the one you are supposed to be escorting...
  • Clovin64 - February 24, 2011 12:40 p.m.

I kept nodding my head in agreement while reading this. Especially the bit about restart points. There have been otherwise brilliant games that I've just gave up on because of crappily placed restart points. That bit about AI team mates is spot on aswell. I love the hell out of Mass Effect 2, but the dopey squad mates who insist on standing right in front of a barrage of lasers without bothering to take cover? Not quite as lovable.
  • Pudge - February 24, 2011 11:16 a.m.

LOOK AT ALL THAT JUICE
  • NeelEvil - February 24, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Would you kindly send a copy of this to Bethesda? With the exception of the camera & a lives system Oblivion had all these problems & I like them to be absent from Skyrim.