• yonderTheGreat - February 24, 2011 2:14 p.m.

And while I'm talking to NeelEvil, what about cut-scenes? I don't remember "spawn point right before unskippable cut-scene" being a huge Bethesda problem. Now if you meant BIOWARE then yes, they're addicted to those problems (anyone want to watch the cut-scene w/ the Matron Mother again)
  • yonderTheGreat - February 24, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Really NeelEvil, Bethesda has invisible walls?
  • Rhymenocerous - February 24, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Hell bloody yeah, Mr Houghton! Although Alyx Vance can die by the way... But she has to get absolutely BATTERED. Also, I think unclear signposting is only a real flaw in linear games.
  • EnragedTortoise1 - February 24, 2011 1:22 p.m.

@KidKatana: That's kind of a major part of the game's concept. Also, if it bugs you that much, take the extra five seconds to deck a guy in the head and steal his gun. Mirror's Edge isn't a shooter. But yes, it is annoying sometimes. Newaiz, amazing list, Houghton.
  • Lonners77 - February 24, 2011 12:53 p.m.

Uncooperative Co-op AI isn't really a design flaw. It's an implementation flaw. I wonder how many designers go "Ohh I'm going to design this Co-op buddy so he smacks you in the kneecaps and rubs his face up against yours all the time". Then again that sounds kinda cool.
  • Tispower - February 24, 2011 12:48 p.m.

Totally agree with the last one, reminds me of the last bit of Ilos in Mass Effect, where you have to go past 4 mini-bosses in under 30-40 seconds? Each time you die/fail you have to watch a 3 minute cutscene just to have a go at another 40 seconds of gameplay!
  • Stabby_Joe - February 24, 2011 12:44 p.m.

@ NeelEvil Ok... but when ever in Oblivion were you "respawned before a cutscene"?
  • jackthemenace - February 24, 2011 12:06 p.m.

Have to admit, I just bought Halo: Reach, and, playing through the first few levels on Heroic, the AI on the partner, Kat, REALLY got on my nerves. WHENEVER i needed her to drive a Warthog while i turret, she deliberately drives into the most stupid positions. And the problem is, they HAVE made the AI immortal, just not me. It's as if she doesn't realise that while SHE can't die, I can, so she just barges into everything head on. Which usually results in me getting stuck by a plasma grenade, or shooting a tree. Thanks, Bungie.
  • Frootaloom - February 24, 2011 12:03 p.m.

I thought the Labyrinth Bowie was a nice touch.
  • KidKatana - February 24, 2011 11:29 a.m.

Can we add 'appalling localisations' to this otherwise comprehensive list please? As a fan of Japanese game design, it pains me that localisation teams consistently trot out whatever bollocks voice actors they can find while simultaneously translating the script with a flagrant disregard of how people actually speak, so that excellent games (Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Folklore, Majin) are ruined by unintentionally hilarious direction and immensely irritating voiceovers. Phew, feels good to get that off my chest. Oh, and the only thing worse than unclear signposting is unclear signposting with LOTS OF PEOPLE SHOOTING AT YOU WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A FUCKING GUN. Ever played Mirror's Edge?
  • tomthespesh - February 24, 2011 11:25 a.m.

A similar problem to the restarting long before the hard bit is restarting in the middle of the hard bit due to a crap checkpoint. Where the checkpoint is just before you die and left in the open with no health and ammo. It happened to me countless times in Transformers War for Cybertron. Another annoying one is the original Doom, where it resets all your weapons. Leaving you to fight a giant robot spider brain thing with guns with nowt but a pistol.
  • OriginalJonty - February 24, 2011 11:21 a.m.

Excellent labyrinth reference. As yes to all of this especially invisible walls. If you don't want me to go somewhere put something my character cannot physical get passed!
  • Darkhawk - February 24, 2011 11:09 p.m.

AAAAARGH Unskippable Cutscenes! It's killing me in Crisis Core right now. What other horrors lie in wait for my future games?
  • Spybreak8 - February 24, 2011 10:28 p.m.

Thhhhhaank you. Another thing is the autosave after every door so you can potentially get stuck in a death loop. It's sad there is an official term because it happens so many times! Also autosaves at the beginning of a level and not at a boss. Every time I die at a boss and start over at the boss I exhale (I've been thrown back to the beginning of the level in a few games though).
  • Yeager1122 - February 24, 2011 8:49 p.m.

The unskippable cutscene thing keeps happening to me now in splinter cell conviction i keep dying right before a cutscene happened then i have to watch the cutscene all over again for five minutes its so frustrating makes me not want to play.
  • pinoklin - February 24, 2011 8:24 p.m.

@yonderthegreat: haha have you ever tried to go to the extreme places of their huge worlds in oblivion and fallout?, invisible walls baby. as for cutscenes, fuck you Final Fantasy X, during the Yunalesca fight i died 4 times, meaning a 10 minute cutscene per time, so i decided to power level my caharcters just because i was sick of the cutscene haha.
  • rabidpotatochip - February 24, 2011 5:36 p.m.

The only game I've played that really did invisible walls well was Psychonauts. Razputin's family was cursed to die in the water by gypsies so any time he gets near it a tentacle comes out and either beats him up or drags him down. It was simple, hilarious, and surprisingly effective.
  • etherealshadow - February 24, 2011 5:11 p.m.

Completely agree with this one. Stupid things game devs have been using forever now, and really need to be done away with. Good post, should be forwarded to all the big game devs.
  • oryandymackie - February 24, 2011 4:34 p.m.

Design flaws like these really put me off. I remember I ran over Sigourney from Deadly Premonition - as you do - and, instead of being knocked flying, she remained in the exact same position looking impassively out at the road. I couldn't play DP for days afterwards.
  • BeerBaron - February 24, 2011 3:52 p.m.

I hate invisible walls... I'm looking at you New Vegas.