• talleyXIV - April 13, 2013 10:45 a.m.

Ocarina of Time is top 5, so many ideas came from it.
  • BladedFalcon - April 15, 2013 11:50 a.m.

Not really, yes, it was important and it did bring new things, which is why on the list to begin with. But the main things that distinguish the game; The 3D and the exploration were done and popularized before by Mario 64 and the First Legend of Zelda game, both of which are in the list and deservedly above OoT.
  • talleyXIV - April 19, 2013 2:21 p.m.

That's fair, and by that logic I'd say Legend of Zelda would have to be up there because was there really a game like it at the time and did that game launch such a long running series?
  • BladedFalcon - April 19, 2013 6:19 p.m.

You're right, there wasn't anything quite like it, but I don't think that alone makes it important as a whole, since there's a lot of other games that were big pioneers but didn't really leave much of a mark. Of course, legend of Zelda did, but even though the franchise is huge and popular to this day, it's not exactly a huge trend setter in the way that say, doom or Mario where, since both of those games pretty much defined the platformer and FPS genres. And no, LoZ didn't actually define a genre, neither the RPG nor the action game because both of those genres behave very differently. the LoZ gameplay is pretty much it's own thing, and a good thing at that, and also important, which is why both of it's game are on this list. But I don't think it made the waves that the games above it did. Yes, even the sims, which even though I loathe the series, and have never understood the appeal, it's the harbringer of a lot of modern things such as expansion packs and DLC, which, is not necessarily a GOOD thing, but it's very important nonetheless because of how ubiquitous that model now is.
  • mike2082 - April 13, 2013 6:59 a.m.

The Command & Conquer series has certainly had the longest running success as a game franchise in my opinion....it started with Sega CD and now it's still here with C&C4 (not my favorite of the series though - that was C&C: Red Alert 2).
  • RonF - April 13, 2013 5:11 a.m.

The list is pretty good but the order tell me more about the preferences of who made it than anything else.
  • LEGOMatrix - April 13, 2013 1:51 a.m.

One day... Shenmue on 3DS.
  • GlobalNightmare - April 13, 2013 1:27 a.m.

Pokemon wouldn't exist without the Final fantasy series. World of warcraft wouldn't exist without gauntlet. Doom wouln't exist without Wolfenstein. How does farmville hit the list? That exists because of sim city. Track and field? Micro machines? Sonic? Columns? Starfox? Castlevania? I could go on,and on. Is this a personal list, or has legit research been done? Some great games on this list, but so many have been overlooked. Try again.
  • JarkayColt - April 13, 2013 7:34 a.m.

This list doesn't seem so much to do with precursory or strictly pioneering games; although there is some crossover, it's more to do with revolution, the lasting impact, and legacy. FarmVille is there because it made social gaming blow up real big and whether you like it or not it's had a lasting effect on the industry since; FYI Sim City was on the list too for an entirely different reason so I don't really get your point. Castlevania is also mentioned alongside Metroid, for instance, as it should be. Everything here seems to be there with good reason (first is not necessarily greatest), and it obviously isn't a personal list as the article has no single credited author. Just sayin'.
  • mafyooz - April 13, 2013 12:57 a.m.

I was ready to pour scorn when I saw the screenshot of E.T. (I remember playing it on my mates Atari and it was every bit as bad as its reputation suggests), but after reading the reason for its inclusion I definitely see why it's on here :)
  • weezerbholly - April 13, 2013 12:01 a.m.

Ummmm... fast blue hedgehog anyone?
  • JohnnyEagle - April 12, 2013 7:30 p.m.

I don't mind Angry Birds being on the list. I mind that there was no mention of the Crush the Castle games in that section of the list.
  • MrXLiebezeit - April 12, 2013 5:10 p.m.

Why Final Fantasy VII? I thought Final Fantasy IV/II was a bit more important, not necessarily better though. Also, it saddens me that my favorite game isn't on here, but when thinking about it, most people haven't played it. "With bony hands I hold my partner/ On soulless feet we cross the floor/ The music stops as if to answer/ An empty knocking at the door/ It seems his skin was sweet as mango/ When last I held him to my breast/ But now we dance this grim fandango/ And will four years before we rest" Grim Fandango may not have been very important, but it definitely was a masterpiece of game development.
  • ViolentLee - April 12, 2013 4:48 p.m.

- I'd throw Batman: Arkham Asylum on the list for its innovative combat and the fact that it raised the bar for licensed games. - Assassin's Creed brought about user-friendly platforming and impressive crowd mechanics. - Canabalt was the first endless runner game - a genre that's HUGE on smartphones. - Elder Scrolls: Oblivion was a very important current-gen first-person sandbox game, which begat other huge titles like Fallout 3, Skyrim, etc. It also was one of the first console games to have real, substantial DLC as well as the much-maligned horse armor.
  • J-Fid - April 12, 2013 4:11 p.m.

Not really surprised at the top of the list, although I thought Super Mario 64 would be a lot higher.
  • clint-welding - April 12, 2013 3:48 p.m.

I think Conker's Bad Fur Day should have been on here, for it was a game that had outstanding graphics, sound effects, and physics, that no other games on N64, or Playstation could compare. It proved that graphical limits can be seemingly overcome by the right developers. Pokemon Stadium was revolutionary for being the first Console game to connect with handheld games for connectivity and bonus content. Mario Kart was the first party racer, Mario Party is a game that started the whole party/mini game collection games. Sonic the Hedgehog was the first game to innovate fast speeds in a side- scroller/platformer. Banjo-Kazooie was one of Nintendo 64's first games to utilize team action and moves, along with all else that was crammed in, like exploration and transformations. Banjo-Tooie took that further. Super Smash Bros opened up a great series to gather a bunch of people and play non stop, it was an easy to play fighting game that anyone could play. Marvel VS Capcom was likely one of the first cross over games to start the trend, who knows, without it, there may have never been a Kingdom Hearts or Mario & Sonic Olympic games, Tekken X Streetfighter, or even Project X Zone.
  • Talvari - April 12, 2013 3:37 p.m.

Ahh, so many great games and so many memories. Awesome list :D Also god damn farmville >:@
  • taokaka - April 12, 2013 3 p.m.

I think Uncharted 2 deserves a spot on the list, the reason is that it inspired a plethora of cinematic third person shooters after successfully combining the gameplay concepts of Gears of war with the cinematic action of god of war. Even at last years E3 the general consensus was that the winner was 2009's uncharted 2.
  • closer2192 - April 12, 2013 2:47 p.m.

I agree with most of the items on this list, although I don't agree with all their placements. I personally think Wii Sports is up too high. Also, I find it interesting that there aren't any non-racing sports games other than Wii Sports on the list when Madden and FIFA are pretty consistently top-5 to top-10 selling games. There must have been some earlier sports game that's played a pivotal role in this development in gaming history.
  • JarkayColt - April 12, 2013 2:54 p.m.

Technically speaking, Pong is a sports game. And I think that's about as pivotal as you'll get.
  • closer2192 - April 12, 2013 3:44 p.m.

I mean, NHL 93? One of the early Maddens? NBA Jam?
  • FunkyPickle - April 12, 2013 2:33 p.m.

Halo 2 is certainly not the weakest game in the trilogy. Not as content packed as Halo 3, but blows Combat Evolved out of the water. Best Multiplayer maps in the series. Doesn't help that Halo CE had a boring corridor-shooter Campaign as well.
  • garnsr - April 12, 2013 2:25 p.m.

Isn't Shenmue the origin of QTEs? Shouldn't that be the most lasting aspect of the game?