• GOD - January 20, 2014 10:32 p.m.

Last of Us ending made me feel guilty. Pikmin makes me feel way worse though. Probably the most stressful games for me ever.
  • BaraChat - January 20, 2014 8:33 p.m.

I didn't feel as sorry as I should have at the end of The Last of Us (greatest game of the seventh-gen, if you haven't played it), because I think I would have done exactly what Joel did. Maybe not if I actually took the time to sit and think about it, but on the spot that was my gut feeling : kill them all, save Ellie. Shows how well Naughty Dog built that relationship and how deeply I cared for a fictional character. God of War "sacrifice scene" is one of the things that turned me off that franchise (that and the excessive, wildly exaggerated and unnecessary violence), so it has to rank pretty high. As much as I love Portal (and I really love it), I never felt quite "attached" to the companion cube as the Internet at that time would suggest I was supposed to. It was, as the whole game is, masterfully executed and made me a bit sad, but it didn't stick with me as much as many other moments in the game. My PS3 died (at the time) before I was done with Spec Ops, and from what I've read I missed "the scene" by only a few minutes of gameplay. I kinda wish I could have seen it to comment on it, but I certainly don't want to start the game all over again, since it wasn't that good up until then.
  • mikey-sleepygecko-mccann - January 20, 2014 6:39 p.m.

you missed out NIER. after you get to the second playthrough everyone you kill is innocent and you still have to put them down even if they beg for the lives of their kids. everyone dies because your around
  • briag45 - January 20, 2014 6:17 p.m.

People will hate on me for this, but I just played and finished shadow of the colossus for the first time ever, and I hated every minute of it. Nothing about it was appealing or even remotely screamed game of the year. I love games with deep, well thought out stories. I love games like monster hunter, JRPGs, mario games, action games like god of war and darksiders, but I hated this game. Somebody please tell me I'm missing something that made this game great. The few friends I have that have played it swear its a gift from the gods that man was never meant to have or fatham.
  • Moondoggie1157 - January 20, 2014 7:27 p.m.

I finally played the game, mind you I could only make it roughly a third of the way through before getting bored. I LOVED the combat controls, every movement felt so physical and intended, but it was just the same thing over and over again, by the 7th or 8th colossi (more or less) was bored of the formula. I think it is one of those games that everyone claims to love because it's the cool thing to do, when really, aside from the badass controls and beautiful scenery (the draw distance was awesome) it was a boring game. It's an offbeat game that had its followers, I just don't see what they do. So no, briag, you aren't alone haha
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - January 20, 2014 9:16 p.m.

To each their own. I utterly hate Monster Hunter, but people swear by it for reasons I'll never understand. Same with SotC. However, do try to remember the era it can out in. It really felt groundbreaking at the time.
  • BladedFalcon - January 20, 2014 9:23 p.m.

Well, I guess it's a matter of taste as well as the kind of mood you're in, as well as the expectations you have of the game beforehand. Personally, I LOVE Shadow of the Colossus, everything about it worked for me, the minimalistic presentation of the story, the huge scale of the world that amplified how lonely you felt in it. The non-conventional pacing in which the joy of the game was to explore and take in the view, and when you found a colossus, finally have a singular, unique fight against it. It felt like a different experience, and it grabbed. Now, having said that, I played the game back when it came out on the PS2, and I hadn't played ICO before it, so I went in without much expectations. That probably had a huge part of why it blew me away, I wasn't expecting anything in particular about it, so it was easy for the game to surprise me. Skip towards last year, I get the ICO/Shadow of the colossus collection for PS3, and I enthusiastically start playing ICO for the very first time. Having heard so much about the game, and how great it was even before SotC came out, I was super excited, specially since I had loved SotC so much. Whaddaya know, I ended up HATING it XD everything I had loved about SotC either wasn't here, or it was in a lesser, flawed extent. The combat was repetitive and always the same, the puzzles obtuse and now that interesting to solve, the controls clunky, and the so famous Yorda was grating due to her God awful AI. What the hell had happened? people to this day praise the game so much, yet I found barely nothing aside fro the graphics to be redeemable. What I'm trying to point out here, is that expectations can be dangerous, and harmful to one's enjoyment of a game. And also, the taste of every person is just different, what I consider to be beautiful, atmospheric and unique, you and Moondoggie found it to be boring, and tedious. I disagree with that of course, but unlike with other games, i can definitely see your point of view, and why you'd think that way.
  • brickman409 - January 20, 2014 10:54 p.m.

That's a great point about expectations. About a year ago, I bought the HD remake of Shadow of the Colossus, because I heard alot of great things about the game, so I expected the game to blow me away. And when I first played it, I was kind of let down by the minimalist presentation, since I just expected the game to be instantly amazing in the first second. I beat the first colossus, got bored of it, then turned the game off. But, a few months later I decided to play it one more time, but now with lowered expectations, and I definitely enjoyed it more than the first time I played it. I still haven't beaten it, but I can now see and understand why people have said it was such a great game.
  • RayPaw - January 22, 2014 2 p.m.

If your point is that SotC > ICO, then I agree 100%. I replay SotC about once a year. It's such an amazing game. ICO was amazing too, primarily because feeling a protective, emotional bond with an NPC like Yorda was such a revelation at the time ... but it hasn't aged as well.
  • Superdude576 - January 20, 2014 5:57 p.m.

The Walking Dead. Every choice sucked, but the worst one was one of the early ones- save Duck, your friend's son; or save Shawn, a good ally and the man who helped you find shelter. It killed me that no matter how hard I tried, he still died.
  • DrLovez69 - January 20, 2014 4:41 p.m.

egregious...nice.
  • shawksta - January 20, 2014 4:08 p.m.

The integrity of Shadow of the Collossus was otherwise meant for it. Those sneaky bastards made the game specifically for you to regret it and feel like shit afterwards. Its really off putting yet amazing how games can do these kind of things. Of course there are some other games that bring up the issue but end up solving it eventually, The Final Case in Ace Attorney Justice For All comes to mind, when Phoenix has to really think through his morals or what his job is when all is said and revealed. Otherwise these games that dont give you that choice and dont even solve it just leave such an amazing scar to remember of how powerful a game can be especially when it deals with Innocents and people who dont deserve it. It also goes on subjects of things you cant really prevent even if you saved the day. Majora's Mask comes to mind, especially since you rewind time and give everyone their problems again anyway.
  • BladedFalcon - January 20, 2014 3:50 p.m.

Oh for fuck's Sake GamesRadar, the companion cube? really? Look, I love portal, I love it as a franchise, I love the story the humors, the characters... But come the fucking on, yes, what they do with the companion cube is clever... BUT IT'S STILL JUST A GODDAMN INANIMATED CUBE. It has no life, no personality, no real reason why you should care beyond a psychological trick. I can understand some people being upset about it... but to put it amongst the other truly horrific, borderline monstrous things that the other games in this list make you go trough? It's ludicrous, and I'd have thought this site would be beyond bandwagons. And more to the point... you put the killing of the companion cube, but not the damned if you do, damned if you don't decisions in The Walking Dead? seriously?
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - January 20, 2014 5:46 p.m.

It sounds like you kinda missed the point about the companion cube; you feel guilty about it DESPITE it just being a cube that does nothing DUE to a psychological trick. Trick or not, you still felt guilty for 'killing' it. Besides, this isn't a "Top 12 Games that make you feel horribly guilty" list.
  • BladedFalcon - January 20, 2014 6:46 p.m.

Is, or isn't? Because how you wrote it, you're contradicting the title of the article :P And well, that's the thing, I did NOT feel guilty about killing it, despite what the game told me, I'm not stupid enough to feel invested in a cube just because it has hearts in it and the voice guiding telling me it was my friend.
  • ncurry2 - January 20, 2014 7:17 p.m.

Exactly, I was a bit late to the game playing portal and I never even realized I was supposed to be attached to the cube. It was a tool that got me through a level. Why was it so popular?
  • Vonter - January 20, 2014 7:30 p.m.

And does it really died? I think we saw a burned cube at the end of Portal 2. Also can't find where I read that theory but it says the Cube weighs more or less what an adult human and since we never saw hints of any corpse could it be that they were compacted into cubes.
  • cbrinkmann1981 - January 20, 2014 6:47 p.m.

Uh, yeah, about that whole "The companion cube is just an object" thing.... Do a Google search for "Companion Cube Theory."
  • BladedFalcon - January 20, 2014 7:52 p.m.

Dude, that's just what it says, a "theory". It's not proven and thus not a fact. 'sides, for all intents and purposes relevant to the game and what you go trough there? yes, the companion cube IS just an object there.
  • Redeater - January 20, 2014 6:48 p.m.

I'll be honest, up until this article and the comment below me, I was CONVINCED that the companion cube was just some meta joke that everyone on the internet was in on. Apparently it's not. My view of gamers has gone down considerably....... I didn't think that was possible. You people are fucking idiots. Tom Hanks was on an island for years before he started having feelings for an inanimate object. What the fuck is your excuse?