This last weekend was the Martin Luther King holiday in America, which means an extra day of takings for films. And what better way to celebrate civil rights than with… a Kevin James comedy? About a mall cop?
Yes, Paul Blart: Mall Cop ushered in a record MLK day taking with $39 million earned. That shoved Clint’s Gran Torino down to second place for $26 million and My Bloody Valentine had to settle for third place – but it was still a success, thanks to higher 3D ticket prices. It took $24.2 million.
- Paul Blart: Mall Cop ($39 million)
- Gran Torino ($26 million)
- My Bloody Valentine 3D ($24.2 million)
- Notorious ($24 million)
- Hotel For Dogs ($22 million)
- Bride Wars ($14 million)
- The Unborn ($10.9 million)
- Defiance ($10.7 million)
- Marley And Me ($7.4 million)
- Slumdog Millionaire ($7.1 million)
[Data Source: Box Office Mojo ]