We Recommend

• aratiatia - May 22, 2013 3:30 p.m.

This will make renting games from video stores impossible - one disc might be used by hundreds of people - so how will this work? I often rent a game for three days and then think about buying it or not. Even then, I usually wait until it comes on TradeMe (a NZ auction site) and get a fairly newish but still second hand one. I really hope Sony don't go this way too...
  • TheMcFinder - May 22, 2013 3:28 p.m.

it seems pretty silly how microsoft is handling the nextbox. it's still not too late for everyone to get a 3DS, best next gen system IMO haha. srsly, though.
  • vbsnowsurf - May 22, 2013 3:19 p.m.

Sorry, they aren't gearing this piece of hardware to gamers, so needless to say, I am out, just like many, many other gamers. Losing the ability to play my games when there is no internet and possibly at a friend's house, loses all reasons to enjoy my games. No upgrade for me.
  • garnsr - May 22, 2013 3:14 p.m.

If the Xbox One does require connection to a Microsoft server to play a game, and the system doesn't do well, so Microsoft shuts down the servers in a couple of years, anyone who bought games would be left unable to play them, right? Even if it doesn't fail early, the games become useless once you can't authenticate any more. No retro Xbox One gaming scene in 20 years.
  • DarthPunk - May 22, 2013 2:53 p.m.

I think the worst thing about this is that often when a game becomes a few years old the only way to get a hold of it is second hand
  • SnakeinmyBoot - May 22, 2013 5:18 p.m.

I'm sure M$ would be willing to sell out of print games in their digital store. They'll only be 90% of a new game disc's retail price, have the crap DRM that kills it after 24hrs of no internet, and you might even have to buy them again when the xbox4 comes out. But, that's what you get for not throwing money at them constantly.
  • pokepark7 - May 22, 2013 2:49 p.m.

This was cool at first ..... you know .... hearing that it's the new generation and all ..but after this :'( ...... the hopes of getting this somewhat went down the drain. Hopefully new things will be reviled in the future that is "GAMER FRIENDLY"
  • Darkhawk - May 22, 2013 2:43 p.m.

Makes it simple for me: 1) I only buy used games. So slap a massive used game fee on, and I'm out. 2) In my apartment, I get no WiFi in my bedroom, and have to lug my consoles out to the TV room whenever I have a "downloading" day. If you try to make me "check in" every hour, every 24 hours, or even every week, it'll be too much of a drag to do. In other words, Screw Micro$haft.
  • SnakeinmyBoot - May 22, 2013 2:30 p.m.

I got a couple important questions that will hopefully be answered at E3. Can you change out the hard drive with a regular laptop drive? 500GB might last a while but games are getting bigger, and there are 1.5 TB 2.5 inch drives coming out now so anyone who hates installing games constantly will want to get one. Also, what happens when your Live account gets the banhammer? What if your friend/ little brother used your account for a few minutes and did something naughty? They already make customer service hard enough and will tell someone in that scenario the they were responsible for that account and will have to wait out suspensions instead of fixing it just once. Kinda like that one EA story with the guy who got banned from the forums AND his single player games. It makes you wonder if even MS thought about about this or cares since they got their money for games and a live subscription.
  • JakePPetersen - May 22, 2013 2:23 p.m.

Honestly, I don't think they could have made the XBoxONE announcement any worse for the hardcore gamer. I keep thinking that maybe it's an elaborate ruse, because no company would ever want to shoot itself in the foot as badly as Microsoft is doing right now.
  • ParagonT - May 22, 2013 2:18 p.m.

I agree whole heatedly with this article. Seems much more down to earth than IGN where people will not accept the reality of things. You should look at the comments, most make absolutely no sense. I really think there should be an IQ requirement for the use of the internet sometimes.... :/ Some of them want the Kinect 2.0 to be bundled with every console without choice. Some are happy for always online. Even some wanted them to go straight to digital sales (then there would be absolutely no difference than a PC). I think Microsoft is about to crumble under the tower their trying to build. If they continually keep pressing games into being a digital service, they will just make the console market obsolete. Without physical copies and the ability to trade in games, you pretty much destroy what makes a console different from a computer. But leave it to the ignorance of many gamers to keep the ship sailing, right guys? If Nintendo didn't botch up the Wii-U so badly, I wouldn't have much to worry about. But so far, I'm concerned with how things are headed.
  • ObliqueZombie - May 22, 2013 1:49 p.m.

Cooper, you're a lot like me. Seeing the good in modern gaming, justifying a lot of the stuff many people speak out against. We both love gaming with a passion. And now, just like me, you're seeing how potentially awful this next Xbox One is going to be thanks to limitations and (unmentioned in this column) the insane focus on multimedia. I fear for the worst for Microsoft, but at least the PS4 is looking good and PC gaming is looking bright.
  • GR HollanderCooper - May 22, 2013 2:06 p.m.

I'm all for killing the things we love in favor of a brighter future, just be honest about it.
  • Sliet - May 22, 2013 1:36 p.m.

Shoot Yourself In The Foot 101.
  • RajXenoeph - May 22, 2013 1:33 p.m.

I don't agree with the whole PC master race thing, but they are beginning to prove it true.
  • ObliqueZombie - May 22, 2013 1:47 p.m.

Those are just the dicks. I've been a console gamer my whole life and just last summer worked for a nice rig, and it was worth it. At the very least, the new innards of the upcoming consoles will make it so our computers get more bang for the buck we payed. It's a good investment, don't listen to the arrogant vocal part of a pretty welcoming community.
  • shawksta - May 22, 2013 1:31 p.m.

2 editorials in 2 days, negative ones, even from Cooper, Jesus Christ. By the way it's looking, Microsoft knew it would come to the question. Maybe they can really SE the bar at E3, but it's not gonna be easy.
  • DaveGoose - May 22, 2013 1:23 p.m.

This really is a shame. I love my 360, play it far more then my PS3, but this anti-consumer behavior is an act of war against gamers and the established culture. I can't support this, nor am I that excited, they barely seem to care about games. The medium that made Xbox. I am going to get PS4 as long as they haven't been holding back information about used games or some sort of always online shenanigans. This really could affect the industry is terrible ways. .....Maybe I have been wrong about eh WiiU this whole time.