• Dasoulink - May 22, 2013 10:40 p.m.

I am still trying to grasp why "always connected" is the deciding factor for so many..
  • Redeater - May 22, 2013 11:26 p.m.

......seriously? There are many reasons but my personal bitch is that all of the games you own could be rendered obsolete whenever MS decides to shut down the servers.
  • Dasoulink - May 23, 2013 1:14 p.m.

Now if you mean that we make a purchase of lets say tiger woods 15 or so, and MS decides we no longer support that title after say a year or so and as such it will not play on the X1 at all...that is a issue that is unacceptable.
  • imagremlin - May 22, 2013 7:39 p.m.

This daily check idea (if true) sounds a lot like a last minute change to respond to the Orth debacle. They could not remove the "always on" feature entirely. so they dialled it down. Not cutting the mustard MS, the xBox1 looks like the first console I'll pass on since the PS1.
  • Bgrimes78 - May 22, 2013 7:39 p.m.

I honestly don't think we will get a straight answer on this subject. I personally think Microsoft will continue to be vague about the topics on the Internet connection and used games block and we won't really know till the final product is released and sold. This way they don't lose potential buyers on this subject. They are going to keep the focus away from this during E3 by staying focused on games and more depth to the console specs. Similar to how sim city was released. EA knew it wasn't going to work at launch but they didn't let that stop people from preordering the product and banking all the money in the first few days.
  • bamit11 - May 22, 2013 7:19 p.m.

The used game thing I don't really care about except that you can't let friends borrow your games, unless they want to pay $60.
  • PanicJester - May 22, 2013 7:10 p.m.

Games are expensive at 60$, I probably only pay full price for like 1 or 2 games a year(if that). I don't see why anyone would want to pay retail price for games that have some age to them, when you will be able to buy most of the same games on a PS4 for less(assuming that the PS4 wont block used games). I'm sure Microsoft will have sales on these games, but knowing Microsoft a game wont see a 20 dollar price tag until it's at least 6 years old. If Sony ends up going a similar route, I'll be sticking with my 360.
  • polemarch - May 22, 2013 6:57 p.m.

:( you know gameing has been part of my life for a long time. From the NES to the SNES, from the PS1 and PS2 to my Xbox 360, I've been gameing for around 20 years. Microsoft, Sony. Congrats. You finally convinced me to turn my back on the console market, and I say this with much regret.
  • Child Of Death - May 22, 2013 9:10 p.m.

What has Sony done? Sony is a hell of a lot better than Microsoft.
  • Nocturne989 - May 22, 2013 10:39 p.m.

There is always Nintendo. The Wii U isn't always online. The Wii U plays used games. The Wii U is backwards compatible. The Wii U has awesome first party and third party games in development. There's no bullshit with the Wii U. Nintendo isn't trying to screw over their consumers.
  • larkan - May 23, 2013 12:07 a.m.

Welcome to the PC crowd. Valve's Steam Box will be your easiest entry into our world, you'd be surprised how much money you'll actually save. I picked up Alan Wake CE and the Nightmare standalone today for a total of $5.00, just to name one major money saver.
  • oryanbelt - May 22, 2013 6:38 p.m.

So I was gonna type this long, multiple paragraph piece about how I tend to be objective on these issues between game companies and their consumers and how the way Microsoft is handling their next console is pretty ignorant and what they should have done instead. But I pretty sure what I could say has already been said a couple different times in the is article and its comments alone, not to mention all over the internet as well. So I'm just gonna say this: If Microsoft wants my money for their console, they better change the way they are going about it. No matter how many awesome exclusives are coming to their console, how many partnerships they make with how many companies, how many functions they throw into their console; I will not support a console that completely hinders the way I and many others like to enjoy their gaming experience. I buy a gaming console for the games that come to it, nothing else.
  • larkan - May 22, 2013 6:37 p.m.

Wonder how long it will be until the first news story pops up of a Microsoft employee watching little kids through the always on Kinect video feed?
  • thefreakysurgeon - May 22, 2013 6:21 p.m.

So you need to "check-in" daily for it to operate? Who thought that was a good idea??
  • Errrrbo - May 22, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Good article, Coop. I'm glad you dropped the pretense/political correctness and just said what we're all thinking: This system blows.
  • BlueScorpion91 - May 22, 2013 4:47 p.m.

Great article, Cooper, very interesting read. I'd like to know if once I(for example) sell my copy of a game and someone else that bought that game buys a new licence, will that send a message to Microsoft to tell them I no-longer have the disc and then require me to buy the right to play it.
  • The_Ouroboros - May 22, 2013 4:15 p.m.

When I deployed to Iraq, I brought my 360 and a small catalog of games. There were many times after a period of stress, that during our down time we would plug it in to the nearest TV we could find, or in some cases use portable dvd players. Believe you me those few hours of co-op, or taking turns, would relieve massive amounts of stress and allow for some escapism in a very short time. However, we would go weeks without access to any form of internet, does this immediately rule out the system for troops going to the Theater? Even if they did for some reason have a X1, and learned of a situation where they'd be remote, that would encourage them to go out and grab a PS4 should it not have the same requirements. This is just a small scenario, but one of many where it seems that X1 seems to, at least at this point, be funneling gamers to Sony. Which after watching how Sony handled its security fiasco and their general management of the PS3 publicly, I'm hesitant to do.
  • ParagonT - May 23, 2013 8:42 a.m.

I see where your coming from man, one of my best friends is deployed as well. He pretty much said that the connection is piss poor and hardly enough to run Facebook. Despite the fact that he said Facebook sorta lost its purpose when his employer has the same and more rules as Fight Club.
  • winner2 - May 22, 2013 4:01 p.m.

I'm just really wondering at this point if Microsoft gives as much a shit about us as it did originally. If they're ok by courting the rest of the online savvy masses, then maybe they'll be able to afford the loss of us? I feel like all it will take is time. They'll still stay in the game business because it's a market they have experience in I think, but I dunno if they'll put in the effort or listen to us any more keenly than they are now down the road. It can only get worse from here is what I'm thinking.
  • drew-pfaff - May 23, 2013 11:56 p.m.

Personally I don't think that Microsoft gave a shit to begin with, pardon my French. I thought immediately as soon as they said anything about making a game console they are just in it for the money, did I think they were using it as a way to get to where this is most likely heading, no, but I have never supported Microsoft in their gaming endeavor, especially after the thing with the 360 at launch happened, tagged along with how you have to pay to use Xbox live. Yeah there was the security thing with psn, but if someone is seriously using that as one of their few points to not get a PS of any kind, I want them to think really hard about what a multi-billion dollar company would do in that situation. I would think the number one thing would be to upgrade security tighter than Alcatraz. I am really starting to rant though, my point being, Microsoft never gave a shit.
  • ncurry2 - May 22, 2013 3:46 p.m.

Seems to me like Microsoft is turning into EA, enforced by their strong partnership. That is the opposite of a good thing.
  • FoxdenRacing - May 22, 2013 3:39 p.m.

Nice piece, Coop. I just said something very similar to Ryan [who's also lurking, I see!], that MS is in full-on damage control mode at this point...backtracking, deflecting, using doublespeak, stammering, doing anything they can to buy themselves enough time to come up with a Plan B. I think the only thing scarier than them thinking this would work are the rabid defenders ripping into anyone that takes a dour outlook on it...