Topics

Nintendo

• aoat - May 5, 2011 4:34 p.m.

With all the architectural and manufacturing improvements in the past five years, they would probably be on top even if they pursued the same cheap-and-efficient strategy they did with the Wii's hardware. Now, Nintendo could use these advances to make a system that's even cheaper to produce and even more energy-efficient, but if they make power a priority at all they'll blow away the aging competition. I bought a graphics card with basically a faster version of the PS3's RSX and double its RAM . . . for $30. The RSX may have had a freakishly massive transistor count back in its day, but nowadays even budget HTPC chips like the Radeon HD 6450 have more processing hardware to work with, even though 3D support is almost an afterthought in that market. Modern flagship GPUs dwarf the RSX's transistor count by an order of magnitude. Consoles haven't had current-gen graphics for years.
  • n00b - May 5, 2011 4:25 p.m.

you want hardcore on wii try playing sin and punishment 2 the right way (as in not getting hit) or completing mario galaxy 2
  • kingsmikefan - May 5, 2011 4:20 p.m.

Controllers with a touch screen: because looking at two screens at the same time is soooooo innovative... I'm not surprised at all. After the wii, they had to come out with something better. Now, you'll get another Zelda, another Mario, and another fucking Metroid. Will Nintendo ever start a new hardcore franchise? Or will they just keep beating their old ones for more money?
  • Mooshon - May 5, 2011 4:18 p.m.

Whatever gimmicks, graphics or in-house licenses it regurgitates, it's going to live and die on the 3rd party support I'm afraid - which has been shite post-snes. Are manufacturers really going to devote ongoing AAA titles to this platform when the next xbox/sony powerhouses are around the corner? As mentioned above this feels like a cash grab on their devoted followers as surely this console will be out-dated within a year. Going to be an intersting couple of years I reckon. Get this wrong and Ninty are out of the console runnings.
  • rabidpotatochip - May 5, 2011 4:12 p.m.

I think this makes sense. The original Wii is "good enough" for the casual market and will be for a very long time; as the saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broke. Personally, I would still love N's new console even if it is just a souped up Wii because the Wii got my wife into games. She's not hardcore, she's barely even casual, but being able to involve her in my favorite hobby makes my heart all melty so I'm excited.
  • Chikuwa - May 5, 2011 4:03 p.m.

I completely agree with mrclam. In my opinion most first party Wii games are hardcore. And I think DKCR is much harder than COD will ever be, no matter how 'hardcore' people think it is :/
  • db1331 - May 5, 2011 3:57 p.m.

I know I'm going to by the damn thing regardless of any gimmicks, and no matter how "hardcore" it is, it will never dethrone my PC as my #1 gaming platform. That said, I really, REALLY hope that any gimmicks like motion or touch screen controls will be 100% optional, so that people who just want to play a game with two sticks and physical buttons can do so. The thing that has me the most worried is the touch screen on the controller. Everyone seems to think it will be in the center of the controller and used for menu/item management. I'm wondering if they wouldn't put the screen on one side of the controller and have it represent the typical A, B, and other buttons. Think about that PC keyboard that you can buy different overlays for for certain games (like WoW). Each game could have it's own custom button layout on the touch screen. I personally think this would be terrible, but the masses would go apeshit over it. Just look at the iPhone. You can show somebody a game on any system that uses normal controls, and people won't give a damn about it. But as soon as you put it on the iPhone and people can launch that bird with a swipe of their finger instead of pushing a button, they think it's amazing and revolutionary. Just give me a realistic looking Zelda with HD graphics,real physics, and traditional controls, and I will never complain again.
  • ALinkToTheZack - May 5, 2011 3:56 p.m.

I agree with mrclam. Nintendo, for the most part, never left it's hardcore audience as far as its first-party titles went. I don't like it when people assume that a game is hardcore simply because it comes from the FPS genre. I'm not accusing anyone here of doing that, but I feel like it's a trend among gamers today. The third party developers certainly had some trouble catering to the hardcore audience on the Wii...
  • Daruniah - May 5, 2011 3:52 p.m.

Is that planet picture from KOTOR 2?
  • MaynardJ - May 5, 2011 3:49 p.m.

Sounds great, but I was always a late adopter so I guess I'll get a Wii and play the classics like Galaxy, Other M, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword (which will now be affordable because of the Selection label) before moving on to the next one.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - May 5, 2011 3:49 p.m.

mrclam, I feel exactly the same way you do about the whole "hardcore" thing. Check this out for evidence of that: http://www.gamesradar.com/f/think-youre-hardcore-then-theres-a-good-chance-youre-not/a-2010052812546768003 As for the Nintendo situation though, while their own first-party line-up has contained some stunners on the Wii, by going with low horse-power and building the identity of the system entirely around a gimmicky controller and casual experiences, they have done a great deal themselves to alienate third-party devs wanting to make and market serious AAA games. This nextr machine though, could change all that overnight by way of processing power alone, provided Nintendo provides third-parties with the necessary support.
  • mrclam - May 5, 2011 3:38 p.m.

I find all this talk about them ignoring "hardcore" gamers to be complete nonsense personally. Mario galaxy, smash bros, newsmb, DKCR, etc etc.. ALL "hardcore", well using my definition of hardcore as a game which cant be beaten in one sitting. But I know a lot of journos and gamers seem to think that "hardcore" just means "easy first person shooter with no imagination which can be beaten in one sitting - but hey at least it has a deathmatch!"... But personally i consider fps games to be the ultimate in "casual" gaming - easy to get into, no skill required, short in length, and over used in the media (tv/films/etc). So if you're going to bandy around words like "hardcore" and "casual" - please make sure you define what they mean. To a lot of idiots mario will always be "casual" as he has cartoony graphics (sigh). Personally i dont think nintendo ever left the "hardcore" market. Now the 3rd party developers on the wii on the other hand....
  • HaVoK308 - May 5, 2011 3:27 p.m.

Don't care about gimmicks or original hardware. A powerful HD console and the ability to play Ninetendo's first party titles is more then enough reason for me to own one. Eagerly waiting to add it to my console collection.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - May 5, 2011 3:18 p.m.

Games for actual corpses, or at least those in comas, would be the only more casual option at this stage. Though if the vitality sensor is still kicking around...
  • onewingedantista - May 5, 2011 3:16 p.m.

THAT MEANS AN EVEN MORE CASUAL FOCUS!
  • Primed - May 5, 2011 3:14 p.m.

I'm going to say full out Virtual Reality on this one. No bout adoubt it.
  • K387 - May 5, 2011 3:14 p.m.

I can't say that I care about a new Nintendo console. I'm just tired of all of their franchises and their characters. And before anyone says anything about the other guy's franchises, yes, I'm tired of seeing so many COD, NFS, Halo, etc. too. i think this is Nintendo throwing a bone to a marketing they've ignored to ensure they've got them in case their big money maker audience goes another route. I hope people who were disappointed and disenfranchised with Nintendo don't just come back because that would be a sad message. That's like having your girlfriend cheat on you and then take up gaming because she "knows how much it means to you" because she needs someplace to stay while she checks out John Doe's habits before making another move.
  • lnksmartt - May 5, 2011 3:12 p.m.

wow
  • GrandTheftAuto - May 5, 2011 3:10 p.m.

I hope that it has the best technology available and that it can compete with, if not do better, than PS3 and 360. Would be interesting to hear next gen games come out for a Nintento console ;)
  • PimplesInYourAsstista - May 5, 2011 3:10 p.m.

I was pretty wary, but after reading this...I am cautiously optimistic. If Nintendo is, indeed, working towards this...2012 will be an interesting year for us.