• shawksta - September 11, 2013 9:20 a.m.

I was expecting Justin of all people to write this. Nontheless couldn't agree more, awesome article David. Honestly in my opinion, in this generation where 2D Platformers with style are all shoved and easily made on indies, DK and Rayman were the only ones to come out and show what real true quality can do. Ironically both's first game this gen was a triumphant return with fantastic level design and difficulty, and again ironic that both are getting sequels this year, so far Rayman just outright blasting Mario and Sonic and succeeded in his triumphant return and he f*cking deserves up after all the shit ubi put him through.
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 9:40 a.m.

And as much as I love DKR, it's not nearly as beautiful, creative, or as tightly designed as Rayman. It's an awesome platformer still mind, just not as polished.
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 11:17 a.m.

Being a fully 2.5D Platformer it cant but compared to its own league its still up there. However Comparison's isn't my point nor should it be, the genre is lacking and more recently we only ever get good quality that isn't a bland fest out of indies, like Guacamelee. But within big developers we barely have anything that can really shine in gameplay and fluidity, as well as punishing difficulty. Like this article states even Mario and Sonic are lacking these days, as great as NSMBU and Sonic Episode 2 was, they are in the bland department, especially in the 2.5D case. Meanwhile on the sidelines within big devs DK and Rayman stood out, Rayman needs no introduction as this article explained but compared to every other 2.5 D platformer that suffer sometimes from being bland, DK stood out, back in 2010 on the Wii it was visual eye candy mixed with old school difficulty. And a year later Rayman showed up even kicking more ass. In short, Mario and Sonic are dead in the 2D Department, Rayman and DK are taking their place, differences aside. Of course you don't have to agree with me but right now, I don't see any other 3D Model 2D Platformers that does what DK does so right. Rayman has some 3D ness but they were ultimately made from 2D which shows why that choice is ultimately superior to 3D Models.
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Sure, I just don't exactly see what advantage being 2.5 D grants DKR, aside from some mildly visually appealing camera angles and effects, but that ultimately bring nothing to the gameplay. If nothing else, you only reinforce my feeling that 2.5 platforming in general is inferior to true 2D, and if people want to make platformers, they should stick with either sprites or hand-drawn graphics (Glares at the new Yoshi game, HARD.) Also, dude, did you hear the news about the fair type in Pokemon? it's weak against Poison and steel! that is fucking fantastic and it's exactly what I was hoping for! IMO those two type were super nerfed, specially on the offensive side. Also, fairy type is super effective against dark and fighting, which is also awesome, because I kinda hate Dark types XD
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 12:25 p.m.

I didn't say it had advantages being 2.5D, my point is that as far as 2.5D goes, I see DK as the best of the bunch. Obviously true 2D is better but my point was DK and Rayman's roles in their respective places. I just saw the news after you told me, that's neat, these guys are doing a good job on rebalancing it. Poison needed it and its also immune to Dragon, YES. Don't know if you saw the rest but Mega Garchomp exists, http://serebii.net/corocoro9134.jpg and the middle evos for the starters were finally revealed http://serebii.net/corocoro9139.jpg well as revealing that Mewtwo has 2 Megaforms, the previous being Mega Mewtwo Y and a new one being Half fighting with its psychic called Mega Mewtwo http://serebii.net/corocoro9133.jpg As well as a few other new Pokemon, like a cat with 2 different stats and forms depending on the gender, a shaggy dog that was shown before in the direct and can be customized and fossil Pokemon being a rock/Dragon and Rock/Ice http://serebii.net/corocoro9137.jpg
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Yep, saw all that as well, but frankly, the details for fairy type were the highlight for me XD anything else regarding the new pokemon I can wait to discover it by myself once the game comes out :P That being said... I'm no longer sure I want Fennekin as my starter, that evolution looks iffy to me, meanwhile, Froakie's looks snazzier even though he looks initially lame. Depending on how the final forms look I might just change my tune completely XD Also, I am actually not sure if Making fairy Immune to Dragon was a good idea.. I mean, Dragon type is already kinda "Eh" in terms of offensive, being super effective only against itself is kinda lame... and now you have it being ineffective to steel and immune to fairy type? what reasons would you have to rely on Dragon type attacks anymore anyway?
  • rainn'sgaydar - September 11, 2013 1:44 p.m.

Is it just me or does it sound like the type they're introducing to weaken the overpowered type is going to be overpowered? I'm worried they're giving Fairy a little too much power. I agree with the second evolution on the starters too. I usually feel that way about the water starter though. It's not true for every gen, but I tend to think the first water form is the worst, but by the time the final form is shown I like it best. We'll see for gen VI, obviously, but that's usually my experience.
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 3:19 p.m.

Nope, like I said below, being effective only against three types and resistant to three and immune to one isn't really being overpowered. By those standards you could claim electric types are way more overpowered considering they are weak only to ONE type... Besides, from the kinds of Pokemon that have been revealed to be fairies so far, none of them are known to have powerful stats, much less offensive ones, so that might also probably balance things out.
  • rainn'sgaydar - September 11, 2013 3:27 p.m.

I guess you're right. I've kind of felt like Dark type was a little overpowered too, but that's mostly because moves like bite and crunch being so common really limits my willingness to use psychic types which sucks because psychic is one of my favorites. But hats probably why I feel it's overpowered
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 4:34 p.m.

No, Dark definitely is an overpowered type. Immunity to psychic is bad enough, but being resistant to Ghost as well as dark itself made ghost type borderline useless as an attack type now that dark existed... Which is a shame since I find that Ghost types are usually way cooler than Dark types. That and it was kinda unfair that it was only ineffective against fighting and itself, making it almost as versatile as Dragon in terms of stuff it's decent against. Again, guys, i invite you to look at a proper chart, Fairy type definitely brings a proper balance against classes that had too many perks, while giving more uses to classes that were almost useless. Before now there was very little reason to use steel and Poison moves because well, poison was effective ONLY against grass, (which is not saying much considering there's other 4 things that are effective against grass...) while still was effective only against rock and ice... which are also elements that have a lot of weaknesses to begin with. So both being effective against fairy definitely give you way more incentive to actually care about those types offensively.
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 6:54 p.m.

Yeah your right when you put it that way. The thing is, Steel and Dark were meant to balance things after psychic was too OP in Gen 1 but it made a bigger cluster.
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 7:34 p.m.

That's what I'm saying. I've always thought Steel and Dark were kinda shoddily implemented. Specially Dark, since Steel is more weird than overpowered. Fairy type honestly sounds like an ideal fix, not jsut for those two, but again, Poison was pretty much a crap type almost overall.
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 9:01 p.m.

Attack wise yeah poison was crap.
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 9:16 p.m.

Defense-wise they aren't much better, honestly. They are vulnerable to both psychic and ground, which, alongside fighting and ice are typically the strongest offensive types. While being resistant to fighting, which is nice, and grass and bug... which again, isn't that big either XD So yeah, Fairy type is a godsend to them. And Crobat, one of my potentially most liked pokemon, suddenly feels much cooler and useful now XD
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 9:54 p.m.

Same here, im gonna love using my poison types more :3 Jeez Louis were bragging about Pokemon in an article for Rayman XD
  • BladedFalcon - September 12, 2013 7:53 a.m.

Heh, yeah, and that's entirely my bad ^^; Apologies Hooters!
  • rainn'sgaydar - September 12, 2013 4:41 a.m.

You've sold me. I have to agree. I guess the fear is because fairy gets power over two overpowered types. But like you said, it also strengthens some underpowered types, which is by definition, balance. Just to drive your point about poison home, I'm not even sure I knew poison was effective against grass and I've been playing since the beginning.
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 1:58 p.m.

The problem with dragon types are that those that exist are Overpowered and most Dragon types have other moves that counter their counters, but Fairy being only weak to poison and steel makes it very hard to actually counter. but it depends on stats and your type flexibility in the end.
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 3:15 p.m.

Eh, not really, considering they are only resistant to other 3 types (Fighting, Dark and Bug) and they are only super effective against three types, while also not being very effective against 3 types as well. Seems about right for a type to be balanced, if you as me. And really, the types it's effective against are all overpowered types to begin with, while the types it's weak against are types that desperately needed something else to be useful against. I really do find that Fairy types are a much better balance bringer than what Steel and Dark were supposed to be in gen II.
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 2 p.m.

People made fun of Chespin's evo but I say nay, it is preparing its third form's massive armor XD Froakie looks like its gonna be a ninja frog and who knows but it seems fennekin is likely to be half psychic but who knows, its iffy but then again Pokemon is prone for 2 legged furry animals.
  • Vonter - September 13, 2013 10:48 p.m.

... really!? Well I'll just state my opinion. DKR had tighter controls, Rayman for me felt more loose but versatile, still both are good games. I suppose I don' give much credit to visuals since I think gameplay should be the most relevant thing in criticizing. It's a shame I can put a score to enjoyment since I enjoyed Rayman Legends but can shake the fact that it was more easy than origins (those checkpoints, and level design felt I played a little in automatic). Visual a delight but as for me I really REALLY liked the rsiky design of the last levels, hehe I don't know if you'll like it. Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams is a harder game, better God not, but I wasn't expecting to compare both games in that regard.
  • lightningboltaction - September 11, 2013 8:55 a.m.

New Super Mario Bros. games are meh and level design suffers because of multiplayer. Mario gameplay doesn't really work with multiplayer.
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 7:54 a.m.

Definitely agree with you on this one, Mr. Houghton. While I haven't played Legends yet, I did play Origins, and honestly, a fair bunch of what you mention here already applies, it's a game full of personality, fantastic music, excellent level design and a difficulty level that is high without being unfair. Origins is by far my favorite platformer of the last 3 console generations, and from what I've heard, Legends is all that Origins is, and then some.
  • rainn'sgaydar - September 11, 2013 7:51 a.m.

I'd like to tell you that you're wrong, but you're not. And while I'll still take a 3D Mario platformer over Rayman, if I want 2D excellence, I have to go to Rayman. I hadn't even realized that fact until reading this, but wow. It's very true. I even recall playing New Mario Wii U last fall and thinking, "I wish it would do [thing] and [other thing] like Rayman Origins did." That's quite a feat. Congrats, Ray. And congrats to Dave for helping me realize that!
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 9:15 a.m.

Obviously this is in 2D Aspect, we cant judge 3D Platforming as Rayman didn't have one for a long time
  • rainn'sgaydar - September 11, 2013 9:45 a.m.

Of course