• rxb - September 13, 2013 6:34 a.m.

Hooters I think I totally agree with you. I was thinking of getting this when I finished Killer is dead before GTA V. That music level just pushed me over the edge. Great article, and well played on saying something that could get you a lot of stick.
  • aaron-smith - September 12, 2013 6:35 p.m.

To say that any platformer even remotely challenges Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 is obsurd. I've played both Origins and Legends and while a joy to play comes nowhere close. Sorry
  • rainn'sgaydar - September 14, 2013 11:35 a.m.

But Rayman blows the recent 2D Marios away, which is his point.
  • Churchy99 - September 12, 2013 1:19 p.m.

Damn fucking right - another great article David. I felt the same about Origins but Legends only expanded what Origins started. I feel that both of them are among the best platformers of this generation along with Super Meat Boy. What strikes me about Legends is how universal it is. It is a great game for those well versed in gaming but it's also good for kids starting out or families wanting to play together, without it pandering to them. It really is an amazing game and I only hope they keep making Rayman games in the same vein.
  • Churchy99 - September 12, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Whoops - thought the swearing filter was still automatic!
  • The_Tingler - September 12, 2013 4:18 a.m.

Agreed, utterly. A perfect example is New Super Mario Bros 2 - I have never been so utterly bored playing a Mario game. Rayman Legends and Origins are never ever boring, they're too packed with imaginative level design and utter craziness.
  • Fireninjastar - September 11, 2013 11:50 a.m.

Rayman was once considered "another platformer mascot". Now he's kicking everyone's ass.
  • pl4y4h - September 11, 2013 11:31 a.m.

That music level alone makes me want to buy this
  • JarkayColt - September 11, 2013 10:42 a.m.

This is absolutely spot on. I'll admit that I haven't had chance to pick up Legends yet, but I was thinking most if not all of the above whilst playing Origins anyway. I love how much freedom the controls seems to give you and also how much visual flair these games have. The game world feels very loose and natural, whereas other games can feel very uptight, such as NSMB and DKC Returns. For some reason, they seemed very bland and use almost 'stock' graphics (I'm pretty sure the original NSMB ripped most of its assests from Mario 64 DS). I think the appearance does mean quite a lot for me. I really enjoyed Wario Land The Shake Dimension because of it's art style, the game world did still feel very prescribed but I love to see time going into making hand drawn animation like that. It really embraces the classic usage of sprites by making a style that's entirely unique. I like that Origins reinvented the aesthetic behind the original game (Rayman 1 still looks gorgeous) and Legends just seems to take it to the max with absolutely everything you would ever want from a platformer. I'm looking forward to finally playing it.
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 9:20 a.m.

I was expecting Justin of all people to write this. Nontheless couldn't agree more, awesome article David. Honestly in my opinion, in this generation where 2D Platformers with style are all shoved and easily made on indies, DK and Rayman were the only ones to come out and show what real true quality can do. Ironically both's first game this gen was a triumphant return with fantastic level design and difficulty, and again ironic that both are getting sequels this year, so far Rayman just outright blasting Mario and Sonic and succeeded in his triumphant return and he f*cking deserves up after all the shit ubi put him through.
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 9:40 a.m.

And as much as I love DKR, it's not nearly as beautiful, creative, or as tightly designed as Rayman. It's an awesome platformer still mind, just not as polished.
  • DarthPunk - September 11, 2013 10:30 a.m.

I would also argue that DKR could at times be guilty of cheap deaths especially on the mine cart levels
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 11:22 a.m.

From what I played in origins, Rayman has more but its death animation was made so quick and instant that your ready to try again 2 seconds later, that was a smart move
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Rayman Origins didn't have a lot of cheap deaths so much as it had demanding platforming. You WERE able to see what you were going up against for quite a bit away, but you were also expected to react quickly. DKR though, does have some moments in which the game fakes out an obstacle and it switches to something else almost as soon as you're against it, making it more cheap.
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 11:17 a.m.

Being a fully 2.5D Platformer it cant but compared to its own league its still up there. However Comparison's isn't my point nor should it be, the genre is lacking and more recently we only ever get good quality that isn't a bland fest out of indies, like Guacamelee. But within big developers we barely have anything that can really shine in gameplay and fluidity, as well as punishing difficulty. Like this article states even Mario and Sonic are lacking these days, as great as NSMBU and Sonic Episode 2 was, they are in the bland department, especially in the 2.5D case. Meanwhile on the sidelines within big devs DK and Rayman stood out, Rayman needs no introduction as this article explained but compared to every other 2.5 D platformer that suffer sometimes from being bland, DK stood out, back in 2010 on the Wii it was visual eye candy mixed with old school difficulty. And a year later Rayman showed up even kicking more ass. In short, Mario and Sonic are dead in the 2D Department, Rayman and DK are taking their place, differences aside. Of course you don't have to agree with me but right now, I don't see any other 3D Model 2D Platformers that does what DK does so right. Rayman has some 3D ness but they were ultimately made from 2D which shows why that choice is ultimately superior to 3D Models.
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Sure, I just don't exactly see what advantage being 2.5 D grants DKR, aside from some mildly visually appealing camera angles and effects, but that ultimately bring nothing to the gameplay. If nothing else, you only reinforce my feeling that 2.5 platforming in general is inferior to true 2D, and if people want to make platformers, they should stick with either sprites or hand-drawn graphics (Glares at the new Yoshi game, HARD.) Also, dude, did you hear the news about the fair type in Pokemon? it's weak against Poison and steel! that is fucking fantastic and it's exactly what I was hoping for! IMO those two type were super nerfed, specially on the offensive side. Also, fairy type is super effective against dark and fighting, which is also awesome, because I kinda hate Dark types XD
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 12:25 p.m.

I didn't say it had advantages being 2.5D, my point is that as far as 2.5D goes, I see DK as the best of the bunch. Obviously true 2D is better but my point was DK and Rayman's roles in their respective places. I just saw the news after you told me, that's neat, these guys are doing a good job on rebalancing it. Poison needed it and its also immune to Dragon, YES. Don't know if you saw the rest but Mega Garchomp exists, http://serebii.net/corocoro9134.jpg and the middle evos for the starters were finally revealed http://serebii.net/corocoro9139.jpg well as revealing that Mewtwo has 2 Megaforms, the previous being Mega Mewtwo Y and a new one being Half fighting with its psychic called Mega Mewtwo http://serebii.net/corocoro9133.jpg As well as a few other new Pokemon, like a cat with 2 different stats and forms depending on the gender, a shaggy dog that was shown before in the direct and can be customized and fossil Pokemon being a rock/Dragon and Rock/Ice http://serebii.net/corocoro9137.jpg
  • shawksta - September 11, 2013 12:28 p.m.

The half fighting Mewtwo is called Mega Mewtwo X
  • BladedFalcon - September 11, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Yep, saw all that as well, but frankly, the details for fairy type were the highlight for me XD anything else regarding the new pokemon I can wait to discover it by myself once the game comes out :P That being said... I'm no longer sure I want Fennekin as my starter, that evolution looks iffy to me, meanwhile, Froakie's looks snazzier even though he looks initially lame. Depending on how the final forms look I might just change my tune completely XD Also, I am actually not sure if Making fairy Immune to Dragon was a good idea.. I mean, Dragon type is already kinda "Eh" in terms of offensive, being super effective only against itself is kinda lame... and now you have it being ineffective to steel and immune to fairy type? what reasons would you have to rely on Dragon type attacks anymore anyway?