• anthony-smith - February 18, 2014 1:59 p.m.

For everyone that says this is a walking dead knock off, walking dead deals with zombies. this game deals with a disease that already exists in the world today that has mutated to affect humans, which many real life viruses and diseases have actually done.
  • anthony-smith - February 18, 2014 1:40 p.m.

Damn good vocabulary sir. I shall have to read this continuously to expand my own. Hahaha
  • wickedgizmo - December 24, 2013 11:55 a.m.

That was a beautiful article I must say. The passion that you have for this game is completely undoubtedly present and well placed. Beautiful.
  • RawadAJ1997 - December 22, 2013 9:06 a.m.

How can one even say that TLOU is overrated? It has the best possible story
  • larkan - December 19, 2013 1:04 p.m.

An overrated third person linear sneak shooter with an OK story that will be followed up by a shitty cash in sequel on the PS4, that about sums it up!
  • TanookiMan - December 19, 2013 9:46 p.m.

This comment makes me sad. Couldn't you have at least tried to respond to or provide some discussion of ANY of the points made in the article?
  • BladedFalcon - December 20, 2013 10:34 p.m.

He probably hasn't even played the game. He's a PC elitist, best to just ignore him ;)
  • TanookiMan - December 21, 2013 10:52 a.m.

Hahaha, I try, but I find myself ignoring an increasing number of comments of late.
  • Lazy_Penumbra - December 18, 2013 8:10 p.m.

the game... is a masterpiece. But saying that it is the first and truly mature content in a game and IN the action genre? That's overrating and insulting to other masterpieces. While I agree TLoU has created another cap on action/horror/narrative gaming, games like Metro Last Light, the Bioshock series and others also come to mind as contenders for such a title.
  • Tikicobra - December 18, 2013 1:48 p.m.

This game made me cry. I've read many books, watched many movies, and played many games, and rarely if ever do I genuinely cry. But I cried at least twice over the course of this game, particularly at the end of Winter.
  • universaltofu - December 18, 2013 11:10 a.m.

Coming soon, the 'pull my finger' dlc.
  • RonnyLive19881 - December 18, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Pretty graphics aside and some fun story elements to me this was just another pointless shooter underneath it all. Eh, guess opinions are just widely different on this title.
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 10:30 a.m.

Except that if Nintendo had made this game, or had it been published on the Wii U, you'd be screaming from the mountaintops about how amazing and perfect it is :P
  • Vonter - December 18, 2013 1:36 p.m.

No because the story wouldn't have been good just the gameplay. That's the thing with Nintendo that sets it apart. Other M was horrible because its plot, Zelda ALBW even being a return to basis was more consistent and streamlined because it didn't had a vast plot or cinematics. Back to topic, I hope this game gets a port to the PS4 since PS3 was the only system I didn't get. It's just from jsut viewing it looks more pretentious than it really is, mainly due for the overused posapocalyptic setting and mysanthropy themes (humanity sucks).
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 2:01 p.m.

Other M was horrible because the gameplay was also horrible... And actually I heard the story of Other M per se isn't that bad, specially at the end, it's mainly the portrayal of samus what sucks the most.
  • Vonter - December 18, 2013 2:26 p.m.

The thing in the end it's execution; you can tell a story about everything but the execution it what tells how much you get invested. Like I said I've not played the Last of Us, I've had some bothers about my perception of the game because of its brutality, the grim reality it displays, but I also assume it most have beautiful moments beneath all the harsh aspects it displays and I think that what makes it work and why so many are invested in that game. Nintendo is more purist in regards to their games. They have admitted several times they don't see story as something essential for their games, is the last aspect that is worked in most of their titles. But still, they do best than many in regards to gameplay and controls. Other M storytelling had potential but its execution felt like a playstation era game, with awkward voice acting, and loose plot that jumped from one place to another. Personally I think its like a bad Metroid movie adaption since you can watch everything relevant after you beat once, even boss battles. My main bother is what the character accomplish, since everything was solved by somebody else (MB killed the deleter, Adam detached and destroy sector zero, Queen Metroid killed Ridley and even at the end was because of Anthony why Samus could take custody of the scientist).
  • filipe-alves - December 18, 2013 1:48 p.m.

Let's be real for a sec... I can't possibly imagine this game being made by Nintendo... it's just not possible on the other hand very nice to point out hypocritical nintendo fanboys.. this guy is probably the biggest nintendo fanboy I've seen here... it gets old really quickly.. he obviously never playd this game in his life and yet he comes here and tries to put it down like the good fanboy he is... very sad
  • rainn'sgaydar - December 18, 2013 5:07 a.m.

I doubt anyone has summed up what made this game so great as well as you have here, Dave. And despite having finished the game months ago, reading through this article brought back all the emotions I remember feeling, and you really only lightly touched on the story points that evoked those emotions. As you said, the gameplay really helps reinforce the narrative, which may be most easily demonstrated by the fact that I remember so much more detail of the scenery of various points in the game. In most games, I would have probably been moving very quickly while I explored every nook and cranny (as I did in Bioshock Infinite), but since one turn around the wrong corner punishes you with at most, death, and at least, wasted supplies, I took everything so slowly that I remember scenery and details much more vividly. The only thing that would have made it more submersive is if Ellie could actually die, but that would have been far, far too difficult to get right, if even possible to get right. Her invincibility and the clickers' inability to hear Ellie or anyone else move around are certainly valid complaints, but with the only other alternative being "you were attacked and killed by clickers you never intended to engage because your AI partner made noise and you didn't," I think they nailed it. Maybe if they ever make another they could allow you to control both companions by switching whenever you want, a la GTA V. It could work if done correctly, but I don't think the PS3 had the power to handle that type of system requirement.
  • hester2 - August 23, 2013 9:21 p.m.

This is super late (I just got around to beating the game) and I doubt anyone is reading this, but I take issue with the "Ellie is as weak as diluted water" line. I took that whole chapter a completely different way. This was a girl who had hunted and scavenged for the two of them for God knows how long, and then she runs into the bandits they had killed at the university. She's taken into captivity, and even behind bars, she puts up a fight. That's when things get real dark. It's made pretty clear that the lead bandit (can't remember his name) had intentions of raping her. As soon as she's about to get away, you're put back into the role of Joel, fighting to save Ellie. You think you're going to get there, but then...you're back in Ellie's shoes. You're being hunted by this guy who wanted to make you his "next pet" as his cronies called her. All of a sudden, you're thrust into Ellie's mindset. She thinks Joel is still out of commission. She's all alone. There's no one to save her. What does she do? She fights. She sneaks up behind the guy, stabs him, fights him off, runs and hides again, and then she goes after him again. She becomes the predator. Even after she thinks she's won, he attacks again. So she grabs that machete and annihilates his face. That's not weakness. That's every moment of fear, pain, and sorrow she's experienced throughout her life being taken out on a monster she can finally put a name to.
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 7:06 a.m.

I don't think he was talking about mental or psychological weakness so much as he was referring to the fact that physically and in terms of experience, she IS still weak, something evidence by the fact that almost everything concerning Ellie when you play as her feels weaker or less effective when compared when you played as Joel, she has way less health, her proficiency with weapons is also lesser, and she's completely useless in a direct close quarter encounter unless she sneaks up to an enemy from behind. The point I believe David Houghton was trying to drive home here, is that in any other game, or a lesser story, the temporary loss of Joel would have made Ellie become a stronger person in every sense, rising up to the challenge and being more capable all around, inspired by her loss... Which is bollocks because as shown in The last of Us, the loss of Joel is nothing but a cause of trouble and grief for Ellie, which IS what happens in real life most of the time.