• SandroTheMaster - February 13, 2011 11:07 p.m.

You're getting this all wrong! No, no, no! It's not that Japanese box art is better. It's the American ones that sucks. Hard. European and Russian box art are just as good or better than the japanese ones.
  • eyeKARUMBA - November 3, 2010 1:55 a.m.

I never noticed the Kirby thing before. Honestly, it seems completely ridiculous to keep the whole box the same but make his eyes frown. Pffft! is what I say.
  • santaclouse37 - September 1, 2010 10:56 p.m.

Definitely interesting, though I wouldn't really agree that all these examples are better, it's kinda split 50/50 in my mind. Still though, I can see why "Differences between US and Japanese box-art" might not have been as appealing an article title. I also literally laughed out loud when I saw that Smuggler's Run is called "Crazy Bumps. RECAPTCHA: credoc Answer, with Answer spelled with one of those old school lower-case S's that looks like an F.
  • wiigamer024 - February 12, 2010 3:16 p.m.

Ok, so Japanese box art is more happier? Alright then, that just proves that we Americans are more badass with our video games! :D
  • axelgarcia1 - November 1, 2009 6 a.m.

manag does NOT fit well with Ratchet and clank
  • epigraphist - September 29, 2009 6:46 p.m.

They make the art different from the Japanese covers so that they have jobs. They need to create a different aesthetic, so they arrive at a consensus and alter box art accordingly. It doesn't reflect overall cultural differences or anything, just marketable stereotypes. If they get you to think that Americans need different box art than Japanese, they've merely secured their job.
  • gangjute8 - September 27, 2009 5:11 a.m.

Loved the Trauma Center comparison. Makes me wonder though, why do so many Japanese video-game females (Pretty much every other character in naruto, for example) were bandage wrap as clothing? ReCaptcha: not weeing Umm... Yeah. thats true.
  • Black_X_1111 - November 6, 2008 3:01 a.m.

American PC box art is pretty good i think. And I'm glad america has the bestest zelda
  • acheron713 - October 14, 2008 8:04 p.m.

how is an aggressive Kirby better? or a sad looking elebit as opposed to the happy one on the Japanese cover? And how is the ridiculous floaty-head Fatal Frame cover for the US aggressive or better?
  • AFilthyIbis - December 10, 2008 3:32 a.m.

The Japanese ICO box art was great So was the Japanese smugglers run title. But what isn't great is this latest 360 bomber man game. I saw it in EB and straight away knew just how much it would suck. Bomber man was iconic, now he's just another generic next gen character who doesn't quite have 3D environments (similar 2 pacman).
  • yur a fatso - December 7, 2008 4:25 a.m.

All off them make sense for the catagories they're put in except Ace Combat. What are you really going to put on the cover of a game about jets besides jets?
  • Cernunnos - November 11, 2008 9:53 a.m.

hmm, seems like my country, norway gets a blend of these, and sometimes none of the above. we always get the artistic FF covers, but usually the gun-covered covers for shooters...
  • codzprc - November 7, 2008 7:05 a.m.

Crazy Bump's has to be the best translation in gaming history. Smuggler's Run was pretty fun back in the day (if I remember correctly) - I'll let the name "Crazy Bumps" go - but gotta ask why there's an apostrophe in "Bumps"?
  • FierceDeity - November 5, 2008 5:01 p.m.

hahaha kirby could never look badass so why do they bother trying and the japanese zelda box art is pretty bad
  • eurospek - September 28, 2008 4:09 a.m.

Crackdown or "Riot Act" The American one is way much better because the people look more aggressive. That's what you would expect in a drug-violence run down city. The Japanese one just looks really kiddish. Just look at Yang or whatever his name. He looks like Omi from Xiaolin Showdown.
  • secretsearcher - September 27, 2008 3:46 p.m.

I never noticed this before. I don't know why we had to make kirby look so angry...
  • crazycrazy83 - September 27, 2008 1:12 p.m.

japanese shadow of the colossus really emphasizes the shadow more
  • Nitemarish - September 26, 2008 7:33 p.m.

I think the UK gets the original Japanese covers of FF games, not sure though. Never actually bought one (GASP!!!)
  • DARK_SIDE - September 6, 2008 2:39 p.m.

except for the soulcalibur covers i think the USA have got the better covers
  • civver - August 3, 2009 1:26 a.m.

There's a lot of stuff contradicting other stuff. You prefer the Japanese Trauma Center cover, the one with the multitude of characters, over the simple American design. And then a succeeding section goes on praising how Japanese cover art is simpler. What the hell?