We Recommend

• BobbyDeNiro - May 9, 2009 6:08 p.m.

I'm not excited at all by this sequel. If it garners high review scores then it will get my interest but signs are not good with all this business of playing a prototype BD. I understand the publisher wanting to make money but it's false economy if you grind the name into the ground by releasing a half baked sequel too quickly.
  • mrmak - May 9, 2009 5:46 p.m.

Totally agree, This game could have been a stand-alone gem that didn't need to be franchised. We all could have looked back years from now and remember such a wonderful game that didn't whore around. Unfortunately, that won't happen, but I will be buying Bioshock 2 anyway.
  • Gotxxrock - May 9, 2009 5:46 p.m.

I worry the lack of Andrew Ryan will make Bioshock lose its cool "Atlas Shrugged Underwater" theme. I loved the ideas that the backstory took from Ayn Rand's masterpiece, and to see that possibly erode from the game is just scary.
  • mikejr13 - May 9, 2009 5:15 p.m.

i still have high hopes for the sequel but i respect everything you wrote. a very convincing and well-thought out argument. great article.
  • timp123 - May 9, 2009 4:32 p.m.

this article was obviously done to generate controversy, I really don't think David agrees with what he is saying
  • DeadGirls - May 9, 2009 8:05 a.m.

I didn't think Bioshock was as great as everyone remembers it being. It had an interesting location, a cool premise, and an amazing twist, but it was basically a generic shooter. Anyway, how could they not make a sequel when there is so much money to be made? Money is all that matters in the world, right? Might as well squeeze it for everything its got, right George Lucas?, right Steven Spielberg?, right Nintendo?
  • spongejerk89 - May 9, 2009 4:19 a.m.

I've been telling all my friends the same thing but all of them insist that a sequel should be made. It'll ruin everything! Also, multiplayer, seriously; ridiculous.
  • solidocelot - May 9, 2009 4 a.m.

judging a game you haven't played yet.. you remind me of someone
  • Surafel - May 9, 2009 2:08 a.m.

EEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEE EEEE EEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEE EEEE EEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEE
  • BigBossOSE - May 9, 2009 1:03 a.m.

2K: Mr. Houghton? H: Yes, your honor? 2K: That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought out objection. H: Thank you, your honor— 2K: —Overruled.
  • WaldoOfWhere - May 9, 2009 12:52 a.m.

You Suck, Bioshock 2 is gonna be AWSOME
  • SneakyAgent - May 9, 2009 12:31 a.m.

yeah a part of me wants to believe this game will be awesome and the other part knows im going to realize it will never beat the original...and since ken levine isnt overseeing this personally im kind of apprehensive bout it, i mean you cant take away the creator of bioshock, its like turning the world on its ear.
  • saveTehcheese - May 8, 2009 11:49 p.m.

UM....it didnt come out yet, so just stop right here. dont knock before you try it. remember everyone said this would be just like system shock 2? it turned out to be awesome.
  • DrRock - May 8, 2009 11:39 p.m.

I'm looking forward to this even though I know that there is no way it will live up to the original but sequels never do. My only wish would be that they drop multiplayer and focus on the studio. It doesn't help either that a whole nother studio is working on the multiplayer. Are we all gonna be running around as Big Daddies? I really don't find that intriguing at all. One last thing. How can the Big Daddy be able to walk outside Rapture. It's it super deep in the ocean? The pressure would crush the suit. The idea is ok but I think they put up a bunch of post it notes with ideas on them and threw darts and the wall and whatever got hit at that meeting was put into play. Of course this is all speculation because none of us have played it and we've only seen images. But it is definitely on my must play this for this year.
  • GoldenMe - May 8, 2009 10:43 p.m.

Oh you brits. Always wanting to argue.
  • Montag - May 8, 2009 10:39 p.m.

I'm with you on this. Even though SS2 was a sequel of sorts it was really its own game. The game was awesome. You experienced it. A sequel would have been SS light really. In SS2 everything felt new and original and that made it great, a sequel would have been a poor copy. I feel the same way about BioShock. A sequel in 10 years might be ok but a sequel now would be poor. I am sure it will be a great game, but am not sure it will be a great BioShock game. For me only Half Life had the gonads to make a better sequel, but in that case the story needed more to be complete. Have to say tho stylistically the franchise has legs!
  • The_Tingler - May 8, 2009 9:59 p.m.

A lot of very very good reasons in there, but there are two points that you brought in yourself that save Bioshock 2 from utter dismissal. 1. Resident Evil 5 failed not because it was more of what people wanted, it's because it continued the obtuse backstory from earlier games instead of carrying on RE4's interesting new storyline and was TOO MUCH the same. It copied RE4 too much when what we wanted was a continuation of the brilliance, not a retread. 2. A game you refer to several times, and everyone who talks about Bioshock mentions. System Shock 2. Notice how people don't mention System Shock 1. The first System Shock was brilliant and absolutely did not need a sequel. The story was done, Shodan was destroyed and to carry on would be to insult the great achievement of Looking Glass. System Shock 2 went on to outshine its predecessor in every way.
  • SPANKY2817 - May 8, 2009 9:08 p.m.

they should remake bomber-man not the shitty remake today, but with classic touch. same charicters and everything
  • Amnesiac - May 8, 2009 9:06 p.m.

This article contains much truth. As much as I want it to, I can't see this being as good as the original. At first I thought it was cool to get to play as a Big Daddy, but after I thought about it, I realized how much it ruins the scare factor. Fighting a Big Daddy is no longer intimidating when you ARE a Big Daddy. Throw in a story that borders on nonsensical, and you've got a game that looks to follow in the footsteps of Resi 5: good, but instant classic like its predecessor.
  • jar-head - May 8, 2009 8:40 p.m.

I read your article Hugh, and you give some Damn straight reasons how the sequel is gana Suck, i Really didnt know that the creator of BS left and wont be in BS2. But i Promise, that you will play this game and comes out, games can either go up or down, But Bioshock was a Masterpiece, dont stab the sequel in the back yet until it's in your xbox, 2k has gone a long way, but i Promise, that you will play this game and either secretly love it, or openly Hate it.