Topics

Nintendo Wii U

• taokaka - June 15, 2012 2:38 a.m.

As a huge fan of local multiplayer it has saddened me to see it lose this generation to its soulless ginger sibling, online multiplayer. Luigi's ghost mansion was the most impressive game to get revealed at e3 this year in my opinion (sorry beyond two souls) because of its local multiplayer and I'm glad you thought highly of it as well.
  • tehtimeisnow - June 15, 2012 2:43 a.m.

wii u is the biggest fale i ever seen it will fale so hard espacially since the new iphone will b out soon seriuosely when the neew iphone goes out there wont even b a wiiu
  • ShadowTails - June 15, 2012 3:06 a.m.

'The biggest fale' Hahahahahahahaha. Really?
  • AuthorityFigure - June 15, 2012 4:43 a.m.

"When the new iphone comes out there won't even be a Wii U" ? I don't even think YOU understood this when you tried to beat it out of your small, soft, wet brain-case.
  • TheFabricOfTime - June 15, 2012 6:42 a.m.

I honestly can't wait for this thing to come out. I remember back in 2008 when I really wished I could play online, but back then I didn't have a great connection. Turns out... it's not much. Playing with a bunch of randoms on Call Of Duty isn't as fun as sitting down with my brother to play a game of Super Smash Bros or Timesplitters. My bro and I don't even play together anymore, he's too interesting in being good at Call of Duty, and he HATES the splitscreen mode. This article actually has me looking up to the future of gaming with a nod of nostalgic respect. Nothing beats playing with your closest friends in the comfort of your living room, being able to stop the game action with a simple pause, and laughing at the simple things. Cheers to Nintendo for being casually hardcore.
  • J-Fid - June 15, 2012 7:29 a.m.

I thought they banned you. Or were you hibernating with your new iPhone for the past few months?
  • mikes1025 - June 16, 2012 4:20 p.m.

what's an iphone have to do with a wii u? or any video game? not understanding you.....
  • Fred1712 - June 17, 2012 6:04 p.m.

Your spelling is the biggest *FAIL I've ever seen.
  • patrick-donaldson - June 15, 2012 2:52 a.m.

Couldnt agree more, the best thing about the Gamecube was lugging it round a mates house for 4 player Bomberman, I cant wait to re live those days with shiny graphics.
  • SiPod - June 15, 2012 4:07 a.m.

Ah this is reassuring. I'd be starting to get quietly confident about the console, were it not for Nintendo's unrealistic demand that unsavoury characters such as my self make some friends. And as for having them congregate in the same room, well.
  • mikes1025 - June 16, 2012 4:19 p.m.

what about family? im sure not everyone is thrown off by you.
  • theycallmegep - June 15, 2012 4:14 a.m.

great article
  • Cyberninja - June 15, 2012 5:27 a.m.

I know what means I never play online mutiplayer, but when I gathered up a few friends and played rayman orgins it was a blast.
  • Mooshon - June 15, 2012 5:29 a.m.

Makes me a little bit sad really. My fondest gaming memories are local multiplayer Goldeneye, Bomberman, ISSoccer/Pro Evo with the lads. Facts are though that being in your 30's and married kind of locks you out of such jollies. Hard enough to get everyone together for a drink up let alone a LAN party - and my missus, bless her, is frankly crippled at gaming. If the single player experience is standard (at best) I'll probably be skipping this one.
  • ncurry2 - June 15, 2012 7:24 a.m.

Another great article Mr. Houghton. I agree, I love local multiplayer.
  • shawksta - June 15, 2012 7:32 a.m.

Coming from you Dave, I couldnt agree more. NintendoLand in general is easily thrown off when people dont realize its true meat. And whose to say there wont be awesome core single player games, P-100 and Pikmin 3(I still cant believe how every singtle pikmin is SHINY) look awesome and Multiayer games too. Nintendo really means it when they wanted to bring players closer.
  • ZhugeLiang - June 15, 2012 10:02 a.m.

No... no! My torch battery's gone FLAT! SHINE BEHIND ME, DAMNIT! WE'RE GETTING OUTTA HERE ALIVE, SOLDIER!
  • bobob101 - June 15, 2012 11:11 a.m.

I understand the fundamental point he is trying to make, and it seems like a good one. But I have always preferred to game solo, and that is when I find gaming most enjoyable. To try to sell me on a system of gaming that is the most fun with at least one other person really turns me off, and I think that I may not be getting a Wii U for this reason.
  • IceBlueKirby - June 15, 2012 11:50 a.m.

As someone who has spent more hours playing Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Kart Wii, and other games with people in the same room than playing anything online, the focus on local multiplayer would certainly be welcome. I just hope that, like others have said, it doesn't dampen the single player experience, since I'm not likely to have anyone to play the games with most of the time.
  • mikes1025 - June 16, 2012 4:14 p.m.

it won't dampen it. it can't. it has everything that the other consoles have as well.