Topics

Top 7

• The_King_of_Nothing - November 5, 2012 11:06 a.m.

Nope. Hated Wesker. Still do. Boring. Annoying, mostly his voice but also his attitude. Rarely did anything. Never got to fight him until the end of 5 and it was ...ehh. Bring on Nemesis.
  • Person5 - November 5, 2012 11:27 a.m.

I dunno, Wesker does catch rockets when fired at him, and he's got sick yellow eyes. His voice didn't strike me as boring, more that he was really just too cool to deal with anything in the game. "Seven minutes. Seven minutes is all I have time to play with you."
  • The_King_of_Nothing - November 5, 2012 5:02 p.m.

Holy crap. An actual intelligible rebuttal. I said his voice was annoying, not boring. I felt he was boring in general. I completely agree with the "too cool for the room" comment. The catching rockets and glowing eyes didn't do anything for me, but to each their own. I don't see any reason people wouldn't like him. I don't though. I do not however see any way he could be a villain liked more than the hero.
  • codystovall - November 5, 2012 11:24 a.m.

Team Rockets Rockin!!!!!
  • Person5 - November 5, 2012 11:32 a.m.

Also Andrew Ryan didn't strike me as villainous, except that Atlas made him seem as such, but since he was the bad guy he doesn't get an opinion. Andrew Ryan just seemed like a fellow who didn't like what happened to his ultimate vision, he had Jack kill him to prove a point that he should not be listening to Fontaine, and should try and make his own decisions, he really struck me as a good guy.
  • MasKas - November 5, 2012 12:16 p.m.

Andrew Ryan wasn't a bad guy but in the end he viewed outsiders as parasites, deemed imports as further contact with parasites, and created an amusement park to propagate that the surface world is far worse. http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Andrew_Ryan A man chooses, a slave obeys~ One of the best lines in video games, ever. Andrew Ryan was probably my favourite hero/villain in video game history.
  • MasKas - November 5, 2012 12:22 p.m.

In the end though we all have our virtues and our faults and Bioshock was a great game with a lot of meaning, something truly amazing...
  • Fox_Mulder - November 5, 2012 12:41 p.m.

Honestly, I think you're right about Ryan being the hero/villain. Ryan was paranoid, killed his own mistress Jasmine Jolene (the character's biological mother). So when you find her body you're finding your mother's corpse. Sorry, kind of detoured. Anyway, Ryan's the hero, depending on what you do. We learn shortly before killing Ryan that the player hijacked the plane at the beginning and forced it down. That seems quite evil if you ask me, brainwashing or not. So if you save the sisters, it becomes a story of redemption when Jack kills his father (Ryan) and his master (Fontaine). If you kill them, it becomes a revenge story, and the game ends with Jack, out of all the terrible people Rapture has made, being the worst one of them all. (Fontaine, Ryan, Jack).
  • Child Of Death - November 5, 2012 12:32 p.m.

If you read the Bioshock novel Rapture it proves that Andrew Ryan is an egotistical psychopath.
  • ObliqueZombie - November 5, 2012 2:20 p.m.

Hahaha, great point. I thought that, too. On top of that, didn't Andrew vainly "protect his city" by sending henchmen after henchmen after you, controlling them with pheromones? That's not a very "good guy" thing.
  • PBC13 - November 5, 2012 11:40 a.m.

Can't argue with the number one choice... though it could easily have been Ryan or GLaDOS really. I love Andrew Ryan as a character because I like that Bioshock basically made a villain of Ayn Rand. Or at least was clever enough to question her beliefs. That pleases me. It makes me proud to be a gamer.
  • DarthPunk - November 5, 2012 12:07 p.m.

A timely list as I would probably add Assassin's Creed 3 to this list ANother possible one The Boss from MGS 3
  • unbeatableloser - November 5, 2012 2:13 p.m.

Definitely agree with adding The Boss from MGS 3.
  • Fox_Mulder - November 5, 2012 12:34 p.m.

All are great, but Andrew Ryan is a special kind of villain.
  • Technomancer - November 5, 2012 12:43 p.m.

Come on, no mention of Mark Hamill's Joker in Batman: Arkham Asylum/City?
  • shawksta - November 5, 2012 12:49 p.m.

Interesting list, definitely expected Handsome Jack. And of course Glados and Ryan left that much of impacts on us.
  • Sjoeki - November 5, 2012 1:15 p.m.

If the hero doesn't even have a voice it's not really hard to like the villain better, but still a very good list. Wheatly was every bit as awesome as GLaDOS, that guy had me in stitches so he could be included as well, just like the Joker from the Arkham games. Voice acting has come a long way since the Jill sandwitch and people like Mark Hamill and Stephen Merchant really add a lot of depth to characters.
  • Elgyem - November 5, 2012 1:24 p.m.

Would N qualify as a villian? If so, he deserves to be in here. Also, M. Bison
  • TheCakeIsaPie - November 5, 2012 1:28 p.m.

I really liked Krew from "Jak II." His bigger-then-life (in more ways than one) persona and disgusting habits made him unforgettable. Plus, you gotta love those atrophied legs dangling from his hoverchair. I was thrilled when he returned postmortem for "Jak X."
  • TheCakeIsaPie - November 5, 2012 1:32 p.m.

*bigger-than-life. Grammerz is good.