Topics

Top 7

• joko99 - July 20, 2014 12:28 p.m.

I honestly believe that Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days should be on this list. Right off the bat you meet xion and develop a connection with her. Through out the game you see her form a friendship with Axel and Roxas. Than she becomes extremely depressed after her fight with riku and you begin to see her question her existence. You really feel for her than at the end of the game she is defeated by roxas and begins to fade away. When you see the way Roxas reacts you just begin to tear up because you realize that she is gone and nobody remembers her.
  • NoblePariah - June 22, 2014 12:04 p.m.

The lack of the orphanage scene from The Darkness and the ending segments of Bioshock Infinite make this an average list at best. The fact that you have Gears of War 2 on this list over either of those 2 is absurd.
  • skyler-drew - June 1, 2014 4:07 p.m.

the subtle realization of what happened after Persona 3 really got to me, but hands down the all out tear jerkiest moment came in Persona 4. YOU KNOW THE ONE. if that game didn't send you on a tear stained emotional roller-coaster along with the main characters then you obviously weren't playing it right.
  • johndoe1337 - May 24, 2014 12:44 p.m.

what about the ending of the mass effect 3 citadel dlc, that was more saddening than all these put together. after literally about 125-150 hours of gaming and then seeing your crew standing outside the normandy, shepard voicing his doubts and then a crew member reassuring you it'll all work out, it almost made me cry. What makes it even more sad is that we know how it ends and that crushes our hearts.
  • Colin.B - April 9, 2014 1:28 p.m.

Call me crazy but I think Ocarina of Time should be on this list. The score being played in the background while Princess Zelda thanks you and tells you it is time to say goodbye and it will be as though none of the relationship you worked so hard to build happened...Yeah. Thanks Nintendo.
  • universaltofu - April 9, 2014 12:16 p.m.

I finally played To the Moon last week, and yep, wrecked me for the whole day and the next.
  • King_Icarus - November 6, 2013 8:45 p.m.

Dang people, what about Heavy Rain, or Beyond Two Souls, now that was sad, i mean, just play it, or watch a play through, the end is the worst part.
  • PMD24ever - October 29, 2013 6:44 p.m.

What about PMD? Grovyle's sacrifice, Disappearing, Igglybuff being forced to leave his master, and grovyle disappearing with celebi and dusknoir.
  • morbid_curiosity - August 18, 2013 11:28 a.m.

What about Heavy Rain?! Surely that was discussed as a possible entry onto this list. I believe the subject matter was sad enough to have included it even if it meant adding another entry or two.
  • g1rldraco7 - January 18, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Dante's inferno should have been on the list!! If the story didn't make you cry then you must be a robot!!
  • DeadNinjaCat - November 29, 2012 10:25 p.m.

I think another poster or two may have mentioned this game already, but I had to add to the discussion and say... The Walking Dead Episode 1..."Oooh a zombie-themed point and click adventure..cool!" Episode 2..."Woah this is a bit dark" Episode 3..."This is probably the best game I've played this year!" Episode 4..."Oh god no!!!" Episode 5... Well, lets just say by the end of Episode 5 there were tears rolling down my face, and when the song kicks in at end (Alele Diane "Take Us Back") I was sobbing like a baby... One of the most emotional games I've ever played...
  • isaac-underwood - December 10, 2012 12:49 a.m.

Definantly I was laying in bed ubtil 10 cryin just thinking about Why? Why did she do it? Why didnt he cut his arm off before it got to his body And why did it? Omg saddest thin ever
  • Nikore - October 25, 2012 6:34 a.m.

Max Payne 2 absolutely needs to be on this list. You'll hear the protagonist utter "Like all of my problems, this one started with the death of a woman" within the first few minutes. That should give you an idea of how beautiful and tragic the entire game is, right up to its heart-breaking conclusion. Also, check out "Late Goodbye" by Poets of the Fall, an excellent song recorded for (and implemented in) the game.
  • stefan-heisenberg - September 7, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Planescape: Torment. Deionarras' sensory stone. Not much in gaming can top that for drama.
  • Monsuco - June 23, 2012 1:33 a.m.

I played through To The Moon. My God, that is the most emotional, sad and beautiful story I've ever encountered. Not just in gaming, in anything! I cried and cried at the bittersweet end. It wasn't really even a game. There was essentially no actual gameplay other than clicking on objects and occasionally solving very simple puzzles. You can't fail or die, you just explore each of the character's memories and then move back to an earlier memory. Despite lacking any real gameplay, its story was simply astounding. I wish there was a movie or something. Using Chrono-Trigger-esque graphics, the game shows beautiful but simple imagery, the music plays well to the story line, and you'll cry like a baby at the end.
  • donte-beck - April 9, 2012 4:34 p.m.

even though it is a small part of it i say halo 3
  • magusat999 - April 3, 2012 7:33 p.m.

I think it was FFIV, searching for General Leo (?) only to find he was dead and never coming back - unless you played the Japanese version. Very sad moment to me... Didn't a character die in Final Fantasy II also? I thought someone was sick and died off there... One of the characters died in Legend of Dragoon, but was replaced by a similar - still it was a sad moment. When the killed Lulu in Suikoden III - they killed a little kid! That character had a great personality and they just killed him! THAT was the saddest to me!
  • morbid_curiosity - August 18, 2013 11:30 a.m.

I believe General Leo was in FFVI, which has a lot of sadness in it. Shadow's whole back story is another example.
  • magusat999 - April 3, 2012 7:26 p.m.

SPOILER ALERT: Actually Aerith DID come back - at the end she came back as a spirit and showered the world with some sort of healing light. They plainly showed her (spirit) face and her action of spreading a shower of golden drops of light all over the world.
  • joshua-edward-rae-myers - April 1, 2012 9:11 p.m.

@BOOOM Headshot; Much agreed. One of saddest games I've ever played