• Redeater - June 25, 2012 11:25 a.m.

Spiderman 2 is still my favorite Spiderman game. The first time I was free to swing and run up buildings I was hooked.
  • Tronto13 - June 25, 2012 11:57 a.m.

I loved spiderman 2, spent a crazy number of hours just swinging and running round NYC :)
  • oh_wayne - June 25, 2012 11:27 a.m.

Didn't the game based on the first Spider-Man film have villains like Shocker and Vulture feature pretty prominently? As far as I remember, they even referenced what happened in that game in the Spider-Man 2 game when you fight Shocker again.
  • Redeater - June 25, 2012 11:30 a.m.

Good god that first Spiderman game was awful! It had the honor of having one of the worst cameras ever made!
  • Plague - June 25, 2012 12:51 p.m.

Worse than Bubsy.
  • ssjMrFord - June 25, 2012 11:27 a.m.

I loved Maxium Carnage when I was little.
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2012 12:11 p.m.

All these are pretty good points, specially the one regarding the rogues gallery. (Which I'd argue is better than Batman's, honestly.) Sadly, there's hasn't been a game that fully makes the best out of any of these yet. Meaning that I think all of these can be done so much better than what they have been in the current games. Specially in combat and powers, since frankly, I've felt that combat is often the weakest point of most spider man games. And funnily enough, I think The combat system in the Arkham games do a better job in representing spiderman's spider-sense as a cool combat mechanic, than any of the spiderman games themselves.
  • Redeater - June 25, 2012 12:17 p.m.

I'll be honest. I fully expected Spiderman games to BLATANTLY rip off AA after it was released. Some people just need to learn imitation is the highest form of flattery.
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2012 12:55 p.m.

Yep. I'd certainly would look way more forward to that than the upcoming movie tie in. Frankly, I'm not really expecting much from that one.
  • db1331 - June 25, 2012 12:22 p.m.

It would be my dream game if Rocksteady did for Spiderman what they've done for Batman. Their two Batman games are miles better than anything else in the genre. The obvious choice would be an open city like in Arkham City, but even something more contained like Arkham Asylum would work. Asylum still had a lot of vertical environments that would have taken to wall crawling and web slinging quite nicely. I watch the footage from Beenox, and it just doesn't look good. If they would just give the Spiderman license to Rocksteady, they would be rolling in money. They could just copy the entire formula, from the combat to the upgrades, and it would be amazing.
  • avedon-arcade - June 25, 2012 12:42 p.m.

Upgrades to what? He's nowhere near like Batman. Batman fights in the dark and wears black. Spiderman for the most part has always fought throughout the entire day in a bright red & blue outfit. It's like saying give HALO to the Gears of War crew. It wouldn't be HALO anymore.
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2012 1:01 p.m.

Um... your comparison doesn't make sense. Basically because if Rocksteady developed a spider man game, of COURSE it wouldn't be a Batman game anymore *rolls eyes* That's kinda the point. What db is referring to, is that Rocksteady put obvious care into what makes the hero awesome, and adapted it perfectly in terms of setting, gameplay and story. And basically, it's his belief that if they tackled spiderman, they probably would have an equal care into what makes spidey special, from the combat, to the acrobatic web swinging, to making proper use of the varied rogue's gallery (Aka, no more use of the fucking Rhino, please.)
  • db1331 - June 25, 2012 1:31 p.m.

This. Literally all they have to do is go to Rocksteady and say, "Make us a Spiderman game." They will figure out the rest.
  • CrashmanX - June 25, 2012 3:14 p.m.

Rhino is one of Spidey's most Iconic enemies. It's sorta like the Joker or Riddler to Batman, they're both iconic to that hero. Also if you want that in a game, it looks like Amazing Spider-Man is shaping up to be just that. Just with the Basketball suit (Which luckily you can unlock the NEW Scarlet Spider costume and a few others)
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2012 3:50 p.m.

Iconic =/= Good or interesting. Just because he's well known doesn't mean he's a good villain. He's as boring as they come, a strong dude in a rhino suit. And even as a game boss material is boring, what's his shtick? ram things. *yawn* Also, he's not even remotely comparable to the Joker or Riddler for spiderman. Those would be The green goblin, Doc oc, or venom. Also, if you have paid attention to Beenox's history with the franchise, you should know that rocksteady, they are not, not by a longshot. They've made at least 3 spider games already, and so far, none of them has been anything beyond "enjoyable." And this one frankly looks bland. And it has somewhat terrible animations. And I could bet the combat doesn't even come close to AC's free flow. I could always be wrong of course, but I'm pretty sure this next game won't be spidey's AC.
  • CrashmanX - June 29, 2012 10:35 a.m.

Have you played the 3 Beenox games so far? I loved the hell out of Shattered Dimensions because of how the combat flowed and how each boss fight was different. Also comparing Rhino to Joker/Riddler is like comparing Bane to Doc Oc or Mysterio. It just doesn't work. Now if you had said he's like Bane but a less exciting I would have agreed with you, but ya didn't.
  • CrashmanX - June 29, 2012 10:36 a.m.

My mistake on the Joker/Riddler part. That was me being an idiot. Ignore that.
  • BladedFalcon - June 29, 2012 11:18 a.m.

My point wasn't a direct comparison, just to drive home the fact that Rhino is a bland Villain, period. And yeah, I've played shattered dimensions, but I didn't find the combat all that spectacular. It wasn't a bad game, but it's not nearly as great as a spiderman game could or should be.
  • GhostbustTyler - June 25, 2012 3:40 p.m.

Dude, Peter Parker is insanely smart in the comics and invents tons of gadgets to help him against villains. An upgrade system similar to the Arkhamverse games would be great and it would make sense. Also, Spider-Man has been doing the whole stealthy take down stuff for either longer than, or for the same amount of time as Batman. However that's besides the point, a Spider-Man game and a Batman game should play and control differently since they are two different heroes.
  • bobby-portlock - June 25, 2012 12:24 p.m.

hank gets to talk about spiderman, haha awesome