Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• brizzie - January 3, 2012 5:32 p.m.

The original isometric Fallout's were far better than the FPSRPG franchise it has become. ReCaptcha: vacent Reference
  • PevMaster - January 4, 2012 8:50 a.m.

STFU the original Fallouts were crap compared to 3 and New Vegas.
  • brizzie - January 4, 2012 5:12 p.m.

Glad you took the mature response to start the comment off, and no 3 had an awful story/plot line, and New Vegas was a copy paste version of 3 the only difference being the improved narrative, however that was outweighed with the tremendous amount of bugs/glitches that plagued it from day 0.
  • talleyXIV - January 5, 2012 2:15 p.m.

I don't think you have played Fallout 1 + 2, and that is why you are saying that. Back in the day, those games we crazy good. Fallout 3 may be better by today's standards because it seems no one cares for story anymore, they just want shooty shooty bang bang. And another point, as good as Fallout 3 was, New Vegas was one of the worst games I have ever bought.
  • talleyXIV - January 3, 2012 5:11 p.m.

Metroid Prime was truly one of the weirdest situations I have ever heard when I think about it. They handed off a beloved series to some unknown studio and they said that they are going to completely change it. I can see where fans were coming from but holy balls did that game come out amazingly. Donkey Kong Country's sequels were very good by the way, I like all three of the series (Especially Dixie Kong's Double Trouble for some reason). Donkey Kong 64 is just alright though.
  • DaveGoose - January 3, 2012 4:21 p.m.

Sweet Top 7. Is this where I am supposed to write "Oh man you totally forgot (enter esoteric PC game revived into absurdness) Thanks Mikel!
  • sleepyMexican45 - January 3, 2012 3:32 p.m.

Metroid Prime is my favourite game of all time. Super Metroid is up there too obviously...
  • frankenfurter - January 3, 2012 2:23 p.m.

And now Resident Evil is no longer a survival horror game but a third person shooter.... sobs I heard resident evil 6 is going to be a second person shooter where you can steal zombies cars.
  • talleyXIV - January 3, 2012 5:26 p.m.

What the hell is a second person shooter? Are you mentally challenged? Think about what you just said.
  • frankenfurter - January 3, 2012 5:42 p.m.

I was joking...sighs
  • shawksta - January 3, 2012 1:33 p.m.

Hell yeah MGS, and DKC/DKCR! Seeing franchises reborn was pretty great. Metroid Prime technically falls in the same category as what Miyamoto did with Mario and 3D platforming and make it a seperate series. Like 2D mario and 3D Mario, Metroid Prime and 2D Metroid are 2 different perspectives that nailed the series great either way. Ill be honest, I havnt played any Metroid Prime yet but I do know whats revolutionary about them im planning to wait till I get Trilogy to play all 3, its too damn hard to find, and is $70
  • Dadyo238 - January 4, 2012 6:36 a.m.

you can get Metroid Prime Trilogy new for $12 at www.zwee.com
  • wingsdjy - January 4, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Buyer Beware! Looks like www.zwee.com is a scam site. No personal experience, but found this info via a quick google search: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Zwee_11 http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22802832-Scam-Is-zweecom-a-scam-site http://www.fraudwatchers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33227
  • Stejli - January 3, 2012 1:06 p.m.

Good article but why the link in the part about Ninja Gaiden took me to that weird part of youtube...Why?! Anyway I agree that the first two Fallouts were better then the 3rd one but Black Isle was closed unfortunately and it's still better to have any Fallout than none
  • Darkhawk - January 3, 2012 12:16 p.m.

I would strongly object to Metal Gear's inclusion in this feature. As you argue yourself, MGS is really just the next generation of Metal Gear. I mean, if you're going to do 2D to 3D conversions, why not include Super Mario 64 of Ocarina of Time? Otherwise, interesting stuff on Donkey Kong etc.
  • Sjoeki - January 3, 2012 12:24 p.m.

"Some videogame series are constant. In the years since they were introduced, they’ve always been around, dropping a sequel every few years and rarely, if ever, breaking continuity; your Marios and your Zeldas, your Sonics and your Ratchets. This article isn’t about them. It’s about game franchises that disappeared, maybe for years, only to re-emerge as something completely new. Something that shook up the formula and changed everything, and worked so well that it not only brought its series back from obscurity, but redirected and reshaped everything that would come afterward." The intro says it all.
  • BladedFalcon - January 3, 2012 12:26 p.m.

Because they are talking about franchises that died for several years, then came back incredibly strong. Even if MGS wasn't a reinvention as the other entries of this list was. It was an incredible rebirth in that the series passed from being forgotten for almost a decade, to one of the most popular, beloved franchises of gaming even today. THAT is what the article is about, not 2D to 3D conversions. Something you might have understood had you read the beginning of the friggin' article, and not skimmed over the entries and rave like an idiot.
  • GamesRadarMikelReparaz - January 3, 2012 12:33 p.m.

I'll pre-emptively admit that Resident Evil 4 is the exception to that rule, because it never "died." It was, however, becoming increasingly irrelevant and tired with each successive semi-sequel and spinoff. RE4 made it important again.
  • BladedFalcon - January 3, 2012 3:30 p.m.

Right, very true. And i mean, like you said, it was really losing relevance before RE4 arrived. I am pretty sure that had RE4 had not come with the formula it did, the series wouldn't have survived the next generation with the same cliches and very archaic control scheme. While how "Fresh" Mario and Zelda currently are can differ from each person, I think it's hard say that either franchise has ever become stale or losing relevance. Still, thank you for correcting me on the one game that could have bit my ass against the argument I made ^^;
  • phoenix_wings - January 3, 2012 5:46 p.m.

It's funny that you mention that Resident Evil may not be alive today if it hadn't evolved. Considering how many fans want it to go back to the way it used to be, pre RE4.
  • BladedFalcon - January 3, 2012 6:51 p.m.

Well, I'd assume what they want back is the atmosphere and scariness, because it's true that both RE4 and RE5 were pretty scarce on that front. I would be willing to bet though... That no sane fan would want the archaic controls and movement to be back. Sure, maybe have the game no longer be in an over the shoulder perspective, but not with the old fixed angles and rotate with one stick, move forward with the other scheme. Lastly... this is about revivals, not necessarily what the fans would have wanted. But games that revitalized the franchise nonetheless, and whether you like it or not, RE4 did exactly that.