Topics

Top 7

• Frieza - January 13, 2014 2:31 p.m.

@TF2: Actually, most if not all of the technology in the TF2 universe is explained as either being a result of highly intelligent engineers or Australium. The comic "Loose Canon" has many examples of this, which explains the backstory of the Mann brothers. In the 1890's flashback, it was shown that The Engineer's grandfather already made the blueprints for the sentry guns and teleporter, and was able to create an immortality machine for the Mann brothers. It was also reveled that Australia invented things such as teleportation, cloaking, giant airships, and self grooming mustaches thanks to Australium. And this ALL happened before the 20th century. So I don't think the existence of cellphones and robots in TF2 implies that it takes place later than the 1950's, let alone the 21st century. The fact that they regenerate doesn't mean much either, as I believe that none of the mercs actually die in the comics (i could be wrong though, I haven't read them for quite some time). And considering they arn't the first group of mercs the Mann twins hired, I find it hard to believe that they regenerate. As for the point of the headphones, I doubt they mean anything. Given there are several Portal themed items in the game, I don't think Valve was concerned with how many of the items fit into continuity. They're just cosmetic after all. @Nintendo: This theory reminds me when I used to use AOL waaaaaaay back when I first experienced the internet for my own. There was a special AOL homepage that was Nintendo themed, where it mapped out all of the Nintendo universes onto one continent. I remember Hyrule being in the North-West corner of the map and Donkey Kong's jungle near the bottom. It was pretty cool. That aside, this theory can be discarded since it's common knowledge that the SSB characters are dolls/trophies being played with by a child. This is especially apparent in SSB64, as both the opening cinema and the cutscene after the battle with Master Hand show the the characters to be dolls in a kid's room. I also think that Master Hand is the kid himself being a boss for the player, as he lacks any more dolls to play with and decides to use his hand as the final challenge.
  • Frieza - January 13, 2014 2:34 p.m.

*And considering they arn't the first group of mercs the Mann twins hired, I find it hard to believe that their regeneration means they're immortal. How long must we go without an Edit Button!?
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - January 13, 2014 1:52 p.m.

I think the interpretation for LIMBO is a bit off. The end screen isn't the same as the first screen, it's actually the same as the title screen. The title screen seems unassuming at first, but once you finish the game, you'll notice there's two clouds of flies right where the two children are in the ending. I think it either means that the kids never escaped Limbo, and died where you left them, or that the whole journey was the boy finding his sister in the afterlife. I this interpretation, the title screen is showing the spot where they died and the place where he finally finds her. I know a lot of people think that the last part of the game where you fly through what appears to be glass is him remembering a car accident that killed the two of them. Here's a comparison shot that someone else made: http://files.bloodedbythought.org/cgp/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=740&g2_serialNumber=2
  • JustAnotherRogueAI - January 13, 2014 12:28 p.m.

So all of the characters from TF2 are Time Lords? Definetely didn't see that one coming...
  • shawksta - January 13, 2014 12:15 p.m.

Also Kid Icarus Uprising had to state on hilarious occasions that those Metroid lookalike enemies aren't actually Metroids, just flat our breaking the 4th wall, god I love that game, still in my opinion the best 3DS game.
  • EAC73 - January 13, 2014 3:34 p.m.

I feel you, after beating it twice, I now have the urge to play it again.
  • shawksta - January 13, 2014 4:02 p.m.

Replaying each level especially for those goddamn challenge boards is so damn satisfying when you find the perfect weapon set up and do it. The boards were overwhelming, and then WHOOP HERE'S ANOTHER 2 BOARDS. Those Speedrunning challenges gets the adrenaline flowing
  • shawksta - January 13, 2014 12:09 p.m.

Excellent Top 7, all these entries are very interesting theories that can really open a series more than it should. That is, only 6 of them. Why is number 7 incomplete? they can dual wield cause of who? And why is there just a picture of sora and roxas side by side? Did you guys forget to fill up certain blanks or something?
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 13, 2014 12:01 p.m.

Smash bros isn't canon in the slightest because of the simple fact shown by all 3 games that all the fighters are merely toys/Trophies brought to life only to beat the living fuck out of each other. That indoctrination theory is actually good if only because it makes biowares shit seem decent.
  • BladedFalcon - January 13, 2014 11:48 a.m.

That all Nintendo characters co-exist in the same world makes sense mainly because Nintendo has never bothered setting limits or really explaining any of the game's worlds beyond what's essential. Which I mean, it's not at all a bad thing, it just goes to show that Nintendo's approach is primarily in service of the game-play, and everything else is utterly secondary. The Chell theory, while there's definitely reason to think why that's the case, would actually detract from the games for me if true. I mean... First of all, it would make everything that has occured in the games a case of bizarre fluke, because the ONE test subject that actually survives is Cave's daughter... And two, even if she's adopted, why would she be one of the test subjects for aperture labs? Again, to me, I'd be more satisfying to think That Chell simply managed to survive because... well, she was that good, and had nothing to do with her heritage or relationship with Aperture's creators. As for the Indoctrination theory. I really like the idea behind it, my only problem with it is that it IS essentially a band-aid the player has to put to cover up the otherwise incredibly shoddy final act of ME3. Because I can almost guarantee that is is NOT what the writers were really going for. If it had been, a lot of the events during the end still make no sense even if you think as all being a Shepard's hallucination, and if this truly what they were going for, then they wouldn't have felt obligated to do the extended cut of the ending.
  • CitizenWolfie - January 13, 2014 4:26 p.m.

Insofar as Portal, I'd interpret it more as Glados (perhaps subconsciously) keeping her daughter alive and stimulated since she knows escape from Aperture is futile. Glados merely pretends to want to kill Chell (tough love?) and despite all the deadly test chambers there is always a solution, even the conveyor belt into the furnace had a way out. Glados can alter the chambers at will, so if she really wanted Chell dead she could have devised an impossible test. By torturing her daughter she is simultaneously keeping her focused on a "nemesis" instead of the crippling isolation of being one of the last surviving subjects. So I'd say it's less "fluke" and more "selected" in terms of Chell being Glados' only survivor.
  • BladedFalcon - January 13, 2014 4:42 p.m.

...Except Glados would actually have no real way of knowing if Chell would be smart enough to take those exits or escape those mortal traps she puts her into. If Glados wanted to keep her alive and just torture her, she'd put Chell in increasingly challenging, but still non-lethal scenarios, she wouldn't want to risk her being actually inept enough to actually die. And again... I know Cave was a mentally... fascinating person, but Carolyn seemed sensible enough, what kind of mother would let her child become a test subject for their own company? It just bothers me, specially because the first game makes no allusion to this whatsoever, and there's nothing for you to ever think this was the case. so it's not like the story of portal hinged on this to work. And again, it all feels more contrived and ludicrous if Chell is actually Cave and Carolyn's daughter, instead of someone unrelated.
  • Sjoeki - January 13, 2014 11:44 a.m.

I'm a big fan of the Indoctrination Theory, there is just a lot of stuff not adding up, and after hearing the indoctrination process explained in the mass effect codex, and the stuff that was pointed out by a very interesting youtube video on the matter, I can't help but believe in that theorie. I'm also keeping an eye out on everything related to Arkham City, I still believe that the pregnancy test means something, I think that all those negative tests that were in the room were placed there by Harley to try and throw off Batman, also there are reports that the Jokers body is missing, and that child's song that you can hear Harley sing when you play through the DLC means to me that the story isn't over.
  • DaveGoose - January 13, 2014 11:43 a.m.

Cool list. Another one I find cool is the Squall is Dead theory from Final Fantasy VIII http://squallsdead.com/
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 13, 2014 12:02 p.m.

They already did that in rumors they believe back in 2012.
  • nick-stancato - January 13, 2014 11:40 a.m.

the Mass Effect Indoctrination Theory is STILL the best explanation for the ME3 ending. And makes a hella lot more sense than anything BioWare has officially put out there
  • stefan-heisenberg - April 3, 2014 10:38 a.m.

I like the Bad Writing Theory. It explains everything.
  • Cyberninja - January 13, 2014 11:34 a.m.

I think all of these are interesting but I feel its impossible for all of Nintendo be one would because there are a ton of holes with that idea
  • Vonter - January 13, 2014 11:49 a.m.

Yeah like F-zero and Star Fox. James McCloud is human in F-Zero and a Fox in Star Fox. Also in Star Fox the racing sport is called G-Zero. The only stretch I see, its that they're alternate dimensions, that sometimes cross each other.
  • Cyberninja - January 13, 2014 11:55 a.m.

Well plus metroid and kirby games both take place on very distinct planets even if Mario did show up in one kirby game