Topics

Top 7

• GoldenEagle1476 - January 13, 2014 3:41 p.m.

The indoctrination theory is by far my favorite.
  • gadjo - January 13, 2014 10:54 p.m.

It's the only reason I play the game anymore. Without that theory, the whole damn game just feels pointless to me because of the ending.
  • slimjim441 - January 14, 2014 11:52 p.m.

It should. The indoctrination theory is entirely unsound and has even been officially labelled as false by Drew Karpyshyn, one of Mass Effect's main writers (as well as the biggest contributor to all the lore). As sad as it is to admit, the ending to ME3 blows and no Extended Cut could ever hope to fully redeem it. The best we can hope for now is that whenever the next ME title comes around, they scrap all three endings and give the players what they wanted to happen in the first place. I mean think about it, everyone wants to see what will happen after the events of ME3, but it would literally take 3 parallel games to coincide with players' various choices, as lackluster as they were. It's just not practical. BioWare done shot themselves in the foot; there's no getting around it.
  • DonNerdleone - July 29, 2014 1:16 p.m.

IIRC Drew Karpyshyn didn't have anything to do with writing ME:3. He was the lead writer of the first game, a co-writer for the second, and absent for the third installment. For this reason, I've always considered ME:3 to be an "expanded universe" of sorts. A book without it's main author. And not to be "that guy", but would you happen to have a source for DK discrediting the indoctrination hypothesis? I seem to remember Mac Walters dismissively addressing it at a panel, but I don't remember DK ever attempting to invalidate it.
  • KnightDehumidifier - January 13, 2014 3:06 p.m.

It has been brought up a number of times on GamesRadar, but not even any of the Pokémon theories? Dittos are clones of Mew? Gary's Raticate? Giovanni is the father? The mysterious great war that Lt. Surge served?
  • GOD - January 13, 2014 9:14 p.m.

Totally forgot about the theory for the Lt. Surge backstory! I'd love to see Pokemon Weekly on that.
  • derpinainreallife - January 21, 2014 11:32 p.m.

There's an article of just Pokemon theories linked on the intro slide.
  • SnakeinmyBoot - January 13, 2014 2:51 p.m.

There is a Brawl on the Family web comic out there that has scenes of Mario in the Mushroom Kingdom running and jumping in warp pipes, with panels of Samus running past the geemers? on the ground and the flying creatures coming out of pipes. It outright states that Zebes is the future of the Mushroom Kingdom and has a rather chilling feel to it. It just makes Metroid even more sinisterly enjoyable. Here's a linky: http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2013/05/24/490-the-truth-about-zebes/ The thing about Majora's Mask makes even more sense except they had to have made it before being banished and the Happy Mask Salesman some how get it before it caused any major devastation like in the game. The Zelda series also has so many similar redundant races and alternate worlds that a prequel could have Majora's making an appearance before being sealed away for the HMS to find it and its creators are a new tribe of shadow creatures that look like a less freaky Majora made just for that game. And Majora's forms didn't have enough Tron Lines like Twili stuff does. You gotta trust the Tron Lines.
  • Divine Paladin - January 13, 2014 3:30 p.m.

A friend and I developed a lengthy theory (unrelated to this one) that Majora was a fourth goddess that got banished to a new realm made to house her and sealed in a mask, and that she was able to create a hatred by the Terminians against the goddesses using her pawn/new form Demise, in the name of masculinity. These Terminians were eventually banished themselves into the Twilight Realm. The theory was a lot more in depth, naturally, but it filled most holes involving MM (except the Salesman). The basis was heavily derived off of another theory about the Stone Tower being the key to the game's lore.
  • Frieza - January 13, 2014 2:31 p.m.

@TF2: Actually, most if not all of the technology in the TF2 universe is explained as either being a result of highly intelligent engineers or Australium. The comic "Loose Canon" has many examples of this, which explains the backstory of the Mann brothers. In the 1890's flashback, it was shown that The Engineer's grandfather already made the blueprints for the sentry guns and teleporter, and was able to create an immortality machine for the Mann brothers. It was also reveled that Australia invented things such as teleportation, cloaking, giant airships, and self grooming mustaches thanks to Australium. And this ALL happened before the 20th century. So I don't think the existence of cellphones and robots in TF2 implies that it takes place later than the 1950's, let alone the 21st century. The fact that they regenerate doesn't mean much either, as I believe that none of the mercs actually die in the comics (i could be wrong though, I haven't read them for quite some time). And considering they arn't the first group of mercs the Mann twins hired, I find it hard to believe that they regenerate. As for the point of the headphones, I doubt they mean anything. Given there are several Portal themed items in the game, I don't think Valve was concerned with how many of the items fit into continuity. They're just cosmetic after all. @Nintendo: This theory reminds me when I used to use AOL waaaaaaay back when I first experienced the internet for my own. There was a special AOL homepage that was Nintendo themed, where it mapped out all of the Nintendo universes onto one continent. I remember Hyrule being in the North-West corner of the map and Donkey Kong's jungle near the bottom. It was pretty cool. That aside, this theory can be discarded since it's common knowledge that the SSB characters are dolls/trophies being played with by a child. This is especially apparent in SSB64, as both the opening cinema and the cutscene after the battle with Master Hand show the the characters to be dolls in a kid's room. I also think that Master Hand is the kid himself being a boss for the player, as he lacks any more dolls to play with and decides to use his hand as the final challenge.
  • Frieza - January 13, 2014 2:34 p.m.

*And considering they arn't the first group of mercs the Mann twins hired, I find it hard to believe that their regeneration means they're immortal. How long must we go without an Edit Button!?
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - January 13, 2014 1:52 p.m.

I think the interpretation for LIMBO is a bit off. The end screen isn't the same as the first screen, it's actually the same as the title screen. The title screen seems unassuming at first, but once you finish the game, you'll notice there's two clouds of flies right where the two children are in the ending. I think it either means that the kids never escaped Limbo, and died where you left them, or that the whole journey was the boy finding his sister in the afterlife. I this interpretation, the title screen is showing the spot where they died and the place where he finally finds her. I know a lot of people think that the last part of the game where you fly through what appears to be glass is him remembering a car accident that killed the two of them. Here's a comparison shot that someone else made: http://files.bloodedbythought.org/cgp/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=740&g2_serialNumber=2
  • JustAnotherRogueAI - January 13, 2014 12:28 p.m.

So all of the characters from TF2 are Time Lords? Definetely didn't see that one coming...
  • shawksta - January 13, 2014 12:15 p.m.

Also Kid Icarus Uprising had to state on hilarious occasions that those Metroid lookalike enemies aren't actually Metroids, just flat our breaking the 4th wall, god I love that game, still in my opinion the best 3DS game.
  • EAC73 - January 13, 2014 3:34 p.m.

I feel you, after beating it twice, I now have the urge to play it again.
  • shawksta - January 13, 2014 4:02 p.m.

Replaying each level especially for those goddamn challenge boards is so damn satisfying when you find the perfect weapon set up and do it. The boards were overwhelming, and then WHOOP HERE'S ANOTHER 2 BOARDS. Those Speedrunning challenges gets the adrenaline flowing
  • shawksta - January 13, 2014 12:09 p.m.

Excellent Top 7, all these entries are very interesting theories that can really open a series more than it should. That is, only 6 of them. Why is number 7 incomplete? they can dual wield cause of who? And why is there just a picture of sora and roxas side by side? Did you guys forget to fill up certain blanks or something?
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 13, 2014 12:01 p.m.

Smash bros isn't canon in the slightest because of the simple fact shown by all 3 games that all the fighters are merely toys/Trophies brought to life only to beat the living fuck out of each other. That indoctrination theory is actually good if only because it makes biowares shit seem decent.
  • BladedFalcon - January 13, 2014 11:48 a.m.

That all Nintendo characters co-exist in the same world makes sense mainly because Nintendo has never bothered setting limits or really explaining any of the game's worlds beyond what's essential. Which I mean, it's not at all a bad thing, it just goes to show that Nintendo's approach is primarily in service of the game-play, and everything else is utterly secondary. The Chell theory, while there's definitely reason to think why that's the case, would actually detract from the games for me if true. I mean... First of all, it would make everything that has occured in the games a case of bizarre fluke, because the ONE test subject that actually survives is Cave's daughter... And two, even if she's adopted, why would she be one of the test subjects for aperture labs? Again, to me, I'd be more satisfying to think That Chell simply managed to survive because... well, she was that good, and had nothing to do with her heritage or relationship with Aperture's creators. As for the Indoctrination theory. I really like the idea behind it, my only problem with it is that it IS essentially a band-aid the player has to put to cover up the otherwise incredibly shoddy final act of ME3. Because I can almost guarantee that is is NOT what the writers were really going for. If it had been, a lot of the events during the end still make no sense even if you think as all being a Shepard's hallucination, and if this truly what they were going for, then they wouldn't have felt obligated to do the extended cut of the ending.
  • CitizenWolfie - January 13, 2014 4:26 p.m.

Insofar as Portal, I'd interpret it more as Glados (perhaps subconsciously) keeping her daughter alive and stimulated since she knows escape from Aperture is futile. Glados merely pretends to want to kill Chell (tough love?) and despite all the deadly test chambers there is always a solution, even the conveyor belt into the furnace had a way out. Glados can alter the chambers at will, so if she really wanted Chell dead she could have devised an impossible test. By torturing her daughter she is simultaneously keeping her focused on a "nemesis" instead of the crippling isolation of being one of the last surviving subjects. So I'd say it's less "fluke" and more "selected" in terms of Chell being Glados' only survivor.
  • BladedFalcon - January 13, 2014 4:42 p.m.

...Except Glados would actually have no real way of knowing if Chell would be smart enough to take those exits or escape those mortal traps she puts her into. If Glados wanted to keep her alive and just torture her, she'd put Chell in increasingly challenging, but still non-lethal scenarios, she wouldn't want to risk her being actually inept enough to actually die. And again... I know Cave was a mentally... fascinating person, but Carolyn seemed sensible enough, what kind of mother would let her child become a test subject for their own company? It just bothers me, specially because the first game makes no allusion to this whatsoever, and there's nothing for you to ever think this was the case. so it's not like the story of portal hinged on this to work. And again, it all feels more contrived and ludicrous if Chell is actually Cave and Carolyn's daughter, instead of someone unrelated.
  • Sjoeki - January 13, 2014 11:44 a.m.

I'm a big fan of the Indoctrination Theory, there is just a lot of stuff not adding up, and after hearing the indoctrination process explained in the mass effect codex, and the stuff that was pointed out by a very interesting youtube video on the matter, I can't help but believe in that theorie. I'm also keeping an eye out on everything related to Arkham City, I still believe that the pregnancy test means something, I think that all those negative tests that were in the room were placed there by Harley to try and throw off Batman, also there are reports that the Jokers body is missing, and that child's song that you can hear Harley sing when you play through the DLC means to me that the story isn't over.