Topics

Halloweek Top 7

• bobob101 - October 29, 2012 3:26 p.m.

If you have ever heard of the Haunted Majora's Mask story, you know that deserves a place on this article. I once told this story to a bunch of 12 year olds on a camping trip, and got them all to have nightmares. If that is not a perfect gaming horror story, I don't know what is.
  • CountRichtertoffen - October 29, 2012 3:30 p.m.

I think that FFVIII theory is actually really cool. It's like the fans' ideas that the unreasonably happy endings in some films (like Taxi Driver and Total Recall) actually end in the character's heads.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - October 29, 2012 3:54 p.m.

Holy shit I hadn't heard about any of these.
  • ThatGamerDude - October 29, 2012 4:24 p.m.

I remember as a kid I used to believe the whole Tails Doll story was real. How dumb I was... well that's what I get for being such a Sonic fanboy!
  • marcelo-alejandro-fernandez-a - October 29, 2012 4:28 p.m.

Squall Death is pretty hard to ignore, But, let's take a look to FF 4. There is some kind of relation in story telling. There are MANY points where the main character could die. I will just take the Leviathan. I think everything go from a simple quest for stopping Golbez to "WTF is just going on here!?" ***Spoilers ahead*** Golbez and Cecil Brothers? Both Lunarians? Every character that probably died appeared later on (except by Telah)? The summit where Cecil Purifies his soul? Everything from the leviathan attack to later starts making sense. WAY TOO MUCH SENSE, even when it doesn't even have any (like the lunarians or the underworld, that were never mentioned until later on) I don't know of FF 6 has that kind of breakdown (during the passage to world on ruins, we lose connection with every character) But something that really picked my attention in FF8 are these lines implying the fate of squall. But I can't ignore the fact that in FF4 things get really weird after the Leviathan attack.
  • 7-D - October 29, 2012 5:14 p.m.

I live in Portland but had never heard of Polybius before. Whilst looking up about it I found this clinker: "A friend of mine says that about two years ago, he came across an arcade game with a ridiculously big sniper rifle, it was called Silent Scope. He and his friend eventually beat the game, and supposedly afterwards, a phone number would appear on the screen. It was a recruitment number of some sort. After dialing the number, they were connected to the FBI office in town, and a voice proceeded to say something along the lines of, "Congratulations! Have you ever considered government work?" Convinced they had dialed the wrong number, they had nothing to do with it since."
  • brickman409 - October 29, 2012 6:07 p.m.

Ive played the game silent scope before, but I've never heard a story like that about it before
  • 7-D - October 30, 2012 2:27 p.m.

Did you clock it in the arcade though? But yeah, it's probably tall tales.
  • shawksta - October 29, 2012 6:01 p.m.

Damn never heard any of these, freaking creepy but awesome.
  • BladedFalcon - October 29, 2012 6:19 p.m.

...Wow, these are really frigging creepy, specially the Lavender Town one. Only one I was already aware of was the death of Squall one, someone in another forum had already linked that speculation site. And well... I find it odd you put it in the top spot, since I don't really find it all that creepy, interesting and fascinating? yeah, definitely, but about the only creepy or scary thing about the whole thing is that weird image of the whole in Squall's face.
  • Zeos - October 29, 2012 8:01 p.m.

Damn, nice Top 7 this week!
  • Zeos - October 29, 2012 8:07 p.m.

Oh and I meant to also say: The Final Fantasy 8 one is kind of disturbing to me...but probably because that is one of my favorite games ever. The Final Fantasy 4 one that guy below me a ways posted is equally odd.
  • archnite - October 29, 2012 8:48 p.m.

I had heard about two of these, but even so this Top 7 is so amazingly creepy! And that Killswitch thing is fucked up.
  • grappler51 - October 29, 2012 8:52 p.m.

What about the haunted ocarina, where that Ben kid died?
  • GhostbustTyler - October 29, 2012 9:31 p.m.

Apparently Ben Drowned is getting the community pick spot. It deserves it though for taking the most messed up Zelda game, or Nintendo game for that matter, and making it about fifty times creepyer. The imagery alone in Majora's Mask is scary, but added with all the logs, entries, and backstory with it makes is effing terrifying. Also, shout out to the person who submitted the hacked Black version in the comments, that was pretty spooky.
  • Mattgyver - October 30, 2012 6:05 a.m.

Is it just me or do the "Previous" and "Next" buttons on the gallery component no longer work in Chrome? Also can't click the other thumbnails - had to open this article in IE.
  • FAT47ITY - October 30, 2012 7:25 p.m.

Yeah, same thing's happening for me, too.
  • GR HollanderCooper - October 31, 2012 10:02 a.m.

IT is working on it, thanks for the note. Please call out any other issues and we'll get them fixed right quick. Let me guess: Mac, Chrome?
  • lawman2593733 - October 31, 2012 2:54 p.m.

May I also say, the videos on the site (specific to Games Radar, not embedded from You Tube) seem to play at a very low quality. There will be points when it seems normal. Others when sound and video are terrible. I just wanted to mention while you were here. Sincerely- Justice Law