Topics

Week of Hate

• FAT47ITY - May 10, 2013 6:48 a.m.

Vehicular sections are acceptable when either of two factors is present: a) you can enter and exit the vehicle at will, and basically explore at your own pace (eg. Half-Life 2) b) you are driving the most badass, unstoppable vehicle known to man
  • JarkayColt - May 10, 2013 6:20 a.m.

The "mid-game ability loss" is one of the most annoying ones to me. IIRC there's that stupid part in Skyward Sword where you have to start retrieving all your lost items, and then it kind of gives up the ghost and is like "well hey, now you found all your other stuff all at once!" To be honest, a game doesn't really even need to strip you of any powers to force a stealth mission in, they just have to punish you for doing anything other than tediously advancing whilst some guards' backs are turned. So, forced stealth is another annoying one in general.
  • KnightDehumidifier - May 9, 2013 9:53 p.m.

The boss you're meant to die to.
  • mafyooz - May 10, 2013 12:09 a.m.

...Especially when you don't KNOW that you're supposed to get defeated, and pour a ridiculous amount of ammo/magic/healing into the fight unnecessarily, and leave yourself screwed for further down the line....
  • kyle94 - May 10, 2013 8:29 p.m.

When I was younger, I sometimes played a few games with cheats. I still remember the first time I played Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, and I had god mode on. I spent something like ten minutes fighting against Desann partway through the game, before it finally clicked in my brain "Oh, wait, I'm supposed to lose here!" So, nothing to screw me over later on, and partly my own fault for using god mode, but it was still annoying back in the day.
  • lancelot110 - May 10, 2013 10:17 p.m.

Mafia 2 spoiler: That fucking fight with the Irish guy in the prison level, fought that jackass for at least 5 minutes when I finally just gave up...
  • Shinn - May 9, 2013 9:17 p.m.

Hold on, players have always known what happened to Geralt. I agree that it's a done to death trope, but the text doesn't really fit the entry. And why isn't button mashing to win on here? Those things are far more annoying than QTE
  • miguel-rocha-dos-santos - May 9, 2013 2:30 p.m.

I forgot, people used to complain about the 1st Monkey Island's "tree stump joke", which is surprisingly appropriate to the situation of DLCs policies nowadays, as opposed to being expansions, as they should.
  • miguel-rocha-dos-santos - May 9, 2013 2:20 p.m.

Lava levels... every game seems to have one. Also, spider bosses, scorpion bosses or worse: SPIDER-SCORPION BOSSES! Invisible walls, no new game +, losing all your powers between games and their sequels (from DMC, to God of War, to the Alien Breed games), doors you go through and keep you from ever going back and explore, games with parts so long or difficult they become chores instead of challenging...
  • shawksta - May 10, 2013 8:34 a.m.

It sometimes depends on keeping your powers, there are games out there that keep it times on when you get the same gear you always picked up and add a few new ones. There's one game where they fantastically let you keep everything from the original and only teach you entirely new moves and that was Banjo-Tooie
  • mafyooz - May 9, 2013 1:53 p.m.

Hell yes to the one about QTEs replacing end of game boss fights!! I loved the Space Marine game, especially the way it replaced my pet hate of the "duck and cover to regain health" mechanic, with "wade in with a bloody great chainsword and disembowel the enemies of Man to regain health" instead. Then we got to the end and it was a crappy QTE finish. A fine and noble PS3 controller was nearly lost through rage on that day....
  • Meriatressia - June 7, 2013 4:42 p.m.

That stupid final boss! What a total and utter let down joke! It was absolutely pathetic! You spend the entire game carving through hoardes enemies with awesome weapons like the chainsword and thunder hammer. Nothing but proper fighting. And at the end, you're looking forward to pounding the chaos marine. And it's a bloody button mashing piece of crap! The only way it could have been worse would have been if it had been a immpossible piece of crap! I went in , all excited, lokking forward to this epic fight against the boss. Making sure I had a thunder hammer. And it was a stupid QTE! I nearly threw the PS3 controller through the tv!
  • QuickSticks45 - May 9, 2013 1:44 p.m.

I'm surprised escaping from a burning building isn't stated directly on here
  • BladedFalcon - May 9, 2013 1:15 p.m.

I can get behind hating most of these, specially when using amnesia gratuitously. To me, amnesia is only acceptable when it's properly justified, and not just as a lazy trope to hide a plot twist, or when it's achieved by just hitting your head real hard.
  • mafyooz - May 9, 2013 1:56 p.m.

Amnesia should only ever be used as a plot mechanic in soap operas, they categorically suck anyway so no-one will really notice a little more lazy writing
  • kyle94 - May 9, 2013 5:46 p.m.

They can be effective (such as in Planescape: Torment), if it was a much more rare trope. Trying to remember one's previous life can give a strong goal to someone, and make the player better connect with the character, as they both explore and learn things together, at the same pace, starting off at the same point within the universe. However, it is way too commonly used, and becomes less of a plot point, and more of a excuse. I suppose that's basically it summed up. If the story centers around the amnesia, it's good. If the amnesia is supplemental to the story, it's bad.
  • shawksta - May 10, 2013 8:32 a.m.

Exactly, one of the.best uses that has it revolve around the story was Ghost Trick as well.
  • avantguardian - May 10, 2013 8:42 p.m.

didn't like the movie 'memento', i take it.
  • mafyooz - May 11, 2013 12:42 a.m.

To my great shame it's one of the many seemingly great films I've never got around to watching. Don't know why it is, but I'll happily read a book all day or play video games for hours, but I can rarely be bothered to watch a 2 hour movie
  • avantguardian - May 11, 2013 12:57 a.m.

there's no shame in enjoying what you want to enjoy:) (week...of...hate?)