We Recommend

• OmgBBQ - August 9, 2011 1:49 p.m.

"Fimiliar feeling?" "Similar to Oblivion?" Better not be...
  • Bansheebot - August 9, 2011 1:32 p.m.

"Looks near identical to oblivion?" Aside from the fact npcs look less like thoroughly greased ugly-machines, the graphics overall look way better.
  • FauxFurry - August 9, 2011 12:59 p.m.

As always, the Elder Scrolls sounds as if they would be better classified as Adventure games. Really, outside of the Fallout series, what games better encompass the range of experiences that one associates with epic adventures better than they do? I'm still waiting for a hands-on feature where someone plays an Argonian that goes for a dip into deep waters. Underwater exploration without worrying with the hassle of enchanted items,spells or an aqualung is what they do best but no one has taken advantage of that yet.
  • db1331 - August 9, 2011 12:10 p.m.

Yeah the lock picking does sound a lot like Fallout 3. @Matt Keast Did you notice any of the popup from Oblivion while you were playing, or was everything drawn out as far as you could see?
  • Ultrabonz - August 9, 2011 10:59 a.m.

Looks alot like Fallout with swords ;)
  • jackthemenace - August 9, 2011 10:12 a.m.

I don't like the idea of the whole game being stopped just so you can pick a spell, but I guess anything that gives players a chance to play how they want to play is a good thing. Seriously hyped for this, especially since it's looking better than Oblivion. I loved TES4, and there was no feeling quite like walking into a dungeon and seeing it was very specifically designed, Hopefully, all of the dungeons in Skyrim'll be the same
  • Xifihas - August 9, 2011 9:43 a.m.

It's cute the way you think an Elder Scrolls game can be tactical. Everybody knows all encounters boil down to 'Spam overpowered spell until victory is achieved'. It seems Bethesda knows this as well and is happy with it, judging by how powerful your starting spell is. As I've said many times before, it's just Oblivion made shinier and with dragons tacked on (No, I'm not going to let this go, there's no reason for the plot to revolve around murdering dragons. They could put anything else in there and the plot would work the same way. Some characterisation for the dragons would alliveate this somewhat but this is Bethesda we are talking about). While you guys are busy with this, I'll be playing good games.
  • Felixthecat - August 9, 2011 9:23 a.m.

I actually laughed at this preview. Well done, Mr. Keast. I think I'll be waiting for Skyrim. I'll be busy playing Deus Ex.
  • Yaro - August 9, 2011 9:18 a.m.

Environmental shadows...yes! Finally the dungeons will have the proper atmosphere =)
  • Anonymous93 - August 9, 2011 8:57 a.m.

The lock-picking process sounds like the same one used in the fallout games which I think were a whole lot better. Cant wait for this game though. Also, is it possible to take down those mammoths shown in the screenshots?
  • NotSteve - August 9, 2011 7:52 a.m.

Sounds great, I'm excited!
  • Gilligan - August 9, 2011 7:41 a.m.

Can't wait for this, Oblivion is up there in my personal top 10. Can't understand why Bloodstorm is choosing to avoid a game based on the politics and legal issues of the company! As soon as I get this I'm going in Mr Mochi style.
  • SirCheesedip - August 9, 2011 7:25 a.m.

The Adoring Fan better return as like a skeleton in a dungeon or at the bottom of a cliff!
  • Yeager1122 - August 9, 2011 6:46 a.m.

Cant wait for this.
  • ManiacalMuphin - August 9, 2011 5:55 a.m.

Love the Strong Bad reference.
  • DualWieldingIsNotFeasible - August 9, 2011 5:25 a.m.

I really, really wanna see the new Argonian model. And I'm glad that they changed the lock-picking mechanic, anything would be better than Oblivion's.
  • bamtan - August 9, 2011 4:27 a.m.

BUT THE JELLYSCREEN MAKES IT A BAD GAME SO DO THE ROMANCES AND THE LACK OF INDIVIDUAL GREAVES DAMMIT BESTHEDA I WANT MY CLUNKY UI BACK
  • ElwoodFiore - August 9, 2011 4:14 a.m.

I hope the archers have finishing moves aswell with a bow, Strap the entire bow around the monsters head, pull an arrow back and let it derail there face ahahahah
  • MikeOkizard - August 9, 2011 3:59 a.m.

I find it odd that you "weren't guided", and were "free to do whatever you wanted", but out of this gigantic open world, you chose to visit the EXACT same few locations that every other previewer chose to visit. Is the game just one long linear trail, or is this the largest coincidence in the history of the world? I can't tell which one...
  • MidianGTX - August 9, 2011 3:48 a.m.

"In my opinion, that's not a bad thing. I tried Fallout 3, and NV in the hopes that it would appease my need for something new and Oblivion-esque, but it just didn't do the trick." Yeah, but on the same token a lot of people loved Fallout 3 then didn't care for NV because it was pretty much just more of the same thing... Even if the gameplay is somewhat similar I'm hoping the whole vibe feels new, they can't risk making Skyrim the Elder Scrolls equivalent of NV, not after all this development time. I have faith though, still a day-one purchase, no question.