Topics

GR Debate Mario

We Recommend

• Desann - July 4, 2013 3:13 p.m.

3D World reminds me of Malibu Stacy from the early years of the Simpsons. It's the exact same game as the last one, but it's got a new hat (cat suit). Still, people are falling over themselves with anticipation for it, just like the latest Malibu Stacy. The same goes for pretty much all of the stuff Nintendo's showed at E3, too; it doesn't make sense to me. People rip on Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed for doing this, and while I believe they are guilty to a point, no one does it to the degree Nintendo is doing it. Like Henry said, the fact that Peach is a playable character means Nintendo is actually going to have to give the game a different premise than the stock "Bowser kidnaps the Princess" one that they've been using for 27 years. Imagine if each game in the Call of Duty franchise had the exact same characters and story every single time. No one does it like Nintendo. And I never thought that someone could seriously say they felt that a Mario game could be "dumbed down for the masses." That's hilarious. Mario games have always been the epitome of appealing to the masses. You can't get more dumbed down than that. That's not to say they aren't good games or anything, of course. It's just ridiculous to think that there's anything in them TO dumb down, when they're already the king of appealing to the lowest-common denominator.
  • BladedFalcon - July 4, 2013 3:37 p.m.

That's a very ignorant statement to make. Are you seriously implying that Super Mario bros 3 and Super Mario World were easy, dumbed down games? Honestly, Mario games have only been dumbed down to the masses with the "New Suoer mario" branded games. Before that, they may not have been super hardcore platformers, but they were definitey not walk in the parks, or geared to te lowest common denominator.
  • jeremycarrier - July 4, 2013 4:39 p.m.

Super Mario World is stupidly easy.
  • BladedFalcon - July 4, 2013 4:58 p.m.

Not the star levels...
  • Redeater - July 4, 2013 6:46 p.m.

If you haven't replayed them lately you will probably change your mind once you do. I used to think they were really hard when I was a kid but bypassed them easily a few years ago. That said, anyone who thinks Mario games aren't challenging doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about. There is 2 ways to play Mario. You can beat it and you can complete it. I'm not bragging but I have beaten a LOT of the "hardest" games on max difficulty. The ones I always find the biggest challenge are completing any of the last 4-5 Mario games 100%. If you can tell me you beat that final level inMario Galaxy 2 without breaking a sweat.....well you are a better gamer than I.
  • Redeater - July 4, 2013 6:50 p.m.

Well that was supposed to be aimed at Bladedfalcon and Jeremy but whatever. Fun fact. Watch some YouTube vids with people playing the crown level in Sm3D Land. Most of them died about 50+ times before completing it.
  • shawksta - July 4, 2013 8:21 p.m.

I say boo to the crown level, i didnt like its design for some reason. I want to send hate mail to the guy who thought Jump Flip Switches + Giant Shadow Mario was a good freaking idea and makes you wonder considering 3D World has Multiplayer if they'll bring Giant Shadow Mario's back, IMAGINE THE CHAOS
  • shawksta - July 4, 2013 8:19 p.m.

Gonna have to disagree with you there, Super Mario World wasnt easy, to some they can exploit the cape but other than that you still have to go through the tougher levels. and as Bladed Flacon said, the Star levels are definitley not easy.
  • Redeater - July 4, 2013 11:34 p.m.

Hmm, maybe I was just in the zone when I was playing it. Regardless, it always cracks me up when I hear people talk about Mario games being easy. The best example of this was this video I was watching of SML3D. It had 2 guys talking, one who was CLEARLY very good at the game, and they both commented about how they were in the 40-50 life mark trying to clear that fucking crown level.
  • Jahbu - July 4, 2013 5:09 p.m.

Lol! I just RAGE quit New Super Mario U...that game gets down right punishing at times:/
  • Fireninjastar - July 5, 2013 6:05 p.m.

Yeah, the "New" series killed Mario for me. Yeah, sure, every Mario game has the same story, but at least you did something interesting or different in the middle. You saved kings in 3, you saved Yoshi's in World, you did community service in Sunshine, but in all the "New" games: Save the princess and go home. Seriously, I smacked myself upon hearing about New Super Mario Bros 2 (WHICH COULD HAVE EASILY BEEN A NEW WARIO)
  • GOD - July 4, 2013 2:42 p.m.

Slide 7, Henry's reply: Zing! Point Henry.
  • shawksta - July 4, 2013 3:13 p.m.

BAZINGA
  • shawksta - July 4, 2013 3:15 p.m.

Darn i forgot to finish my full comment He nailed it there, but the next slide was definitley not part of the argument
  • The_Tingler - July 5, 2013 1:32 p.m.

Of course he kind of screwed things up by following that with Slide 8, to which Dave's reply was basically "what does that have to do with how good the game is?"
  • pl4y4h - July 4, 2013 2:28 p.m.

I liked Sunshine...
  • winner2 - July 6, 2013 2:52 p.m.

FINALLY, someone else who appreciates that gem!
  • StrayGator - July 4, 2013 1:51 p.m.

I'm wasn't really in touch with my inner plumber for slightly more than the last decade, so i don't have an opinion about this matter. but i must say, this debate looks more sincere and heated than the previous ones. while other GR debates were more like two editors with different opinions writing arguments and retorts to fit the format, this one sounds like two people having feelings so strong and so opposite about a subject in a manner that makes me hope the two won't be left by themselves in the same room.
  • Redeater - July 4, 2013 1:26 p.m.

I enjoyed 3D Land quite a bit (in fact I think it was the best "2D" Mario in years) but this new one looks like more of the same and not actually 3D. I'm still disappointed that these "new" Mario games have yet to touch Mario 3. As a kid I used to dream about playing Mario 4,5,6 and imagine all the crazy shit they would have! They went from having huge hint books detailing all the secrets and bonuses to a gamefaqs page with coin locations. Seriously, how the fuck did we get such a downgrade? Instead of having white ships, hidden toad houses, card games and many other things we get Nabbit randomly popping up and catching him in 10 seconds or so..... Also, the upgrades. Why is it in every Mario game these days we get the same 3 upgrades plus 1 new one?
  • Redeater - July 4, 2013 1:37 p.m.

Look at the evolution of 3D Mario. 64, Galaxy 1 and 2....all on every single "best games ever made" list. Super Mario 1-World same. I have yet to read any lists that have any of the NSMB games on it. NSMBU was pretty great but not revolutionary. I get that they are cookie cutter easy to make and they generate a load of money but come on Nintendo......
  • shawksta - July 4, 2013 1:52 p.m.

To be fair, NSMBU isnt revolutionary at all, but the game itself is what the NSMB series shouldve been and with it having fantastic boss ideas and the challenge Mode, i seriously would put it next to World and 3
  • bigwill1221 - July 4, 2013 1:06 p.m.

Princess Peach is playable for the first time in 25 years? Didn't she get her own game?
  • Redeater - July 4, 2013 1:27 p.m.

I'm guessing playable in a traditional Mario game since she has also been playable in Paper Mario as well.
  • shawksta - July 4, 2013 12:58 p.m.

Also I find it funny that Dave questions the creativity and then throws Loch Ness Yoshi on the side, sure its not original but its not generic by a long shot and was pretty clever with its design
  • shawksta - July 4, 2013 12:59 p.m.

Pretty clever with its level design