• ChaoticGenius - June 13, 2013 10:31 a.m.

Guys I understand that used games do not help developers and that is a bad thing but you guys have to also understand that, sometimes, we just don't have the money to buy a full priced copy. I mean, I do buy new games, of course, when i have the money, but most of the time I don't so if I only bought new games I would only buy 2-3 a year. And when i don't have money I really don't, I'm not one of those people that buys it used for $5 or $10 or even $15 less than the $60 price, I usually buy them when they are $25 or less. I understand that is my selfish desire but as a college student with not that much money to spend, especially on videogames, it sometimes is the only way i get to enjoy the product. What i do believe would be a great solution would be to keep used games at the same price as they are now but give some of that used game money purchase to developers, idk how but it should definitely be a thing. Furthermore, that is the main reason why i started doing PC gaming, PC games are extremely cheap, i usually buy games for no more than $15 on PC, why? because I am actually able to afford that and not that $40 price of a new console copy. However, I cannot just play PC because some games are exclusive to consoles, and that is where used games prices come in. And again this is just me, but I bet this is why many people, myself included, are mad at xbox for restricting used games, sometimes we just don't have the money.
  • GR HollanderCooper - June 13, 2013 10:49 a.m.

If you don't have the money to buy something, you don't... have the money to buy something. That's how this thing works.
  • ChaoticGenius - June 13, 2013 10:57 a.m.

I understand, but like i said, used games give us the opportunity to enjoy that product. And like i said, if there was a way for developers to make money on used games I would be totally OK with that, and would even gladly accept it. But getting rid of used games is just NOT the answer.
  • GR HollanderCooper - June 13, 2013 11:28 a.m.

And stealing a car would give you the opportunity to enjoy that product.
  • ChaoticGenius - June 13, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Cooper you are going to the extremes, is is NOTHING like stealing a car, if anything it would be like you selling your old car so some other person, instead of going to a car dealership, which is something that even car companies do not frown upon, and is something that people have been doing for MANY MANY years.
  • DeeEss - June 13, 2013 4:43 p.m.

I can't believe you just made that camparison. Trading is a completely legal and legitimate part of our economic system. Stealing is a felony!
  • BladedFalcon - June 13, 2013 11:22 a.m.

But you can if you sell something you're no longer going to use anymore, to get enough money to buy something you want. Selling owned property isn't anything new, and as far as I understood it, it wasn't anything wrong either. So why the fuck do you demonize people that do it? Or are you going to start preaching that it's wrong just because that's not the way you do it?
  • GR HollanderCooper - June 13, 2013 11:30 a.m.

It's not wrong or demonic or illegal, it's just bad for the industry. It's like if someone walked into a GameStop, stole a bunch of games, and sold them to you in the parking lot. Sure, you're paying for something, but you're not paying the people who made it.
  • ChaoticGenius - June 13, 2013 11:40 a.m.

but like BladedFalcon already said, is is OWNED property, YOU bought it and gave your money to whoever made it, and now it is YOURS, you didn't steal it. You can do anything you want with it, and like i have been saying, i don't know if you are reading these all the way through but I REALLY think we should do something so that developers make money on used games, that would be the perfect solution for this
  • BladedFalcon - June 13, 2013 11:45 a.m.

..And how exactly is it bad for the industry, if I'm using that money I used for trade, to get a bigger quantity of new games that otherwise I wouldn't have bought? I'm someone that plays 2 to 3 NEW games per month of average, this last month alone I bought Tomb Raider and DKR for the 3DS, and I plan to get Project X Zone and The last of US as soon as they come out. Part of this was able to be done because I traded in Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored, two games I wasn't gonna play anymore. If I hadn't traded those in, I wouldn't have gotten Tomb Raider, and probably would have skipped on DKR, and the last of us I would have waited till it was 3 times cheaper, and thus, I would have given developers LESS money than I will now by buying it new. So... how exactly am I hurting the industry here?
  • GR HollanderCooper - June 13, 2013 12:53 p.m.

I totally get that it might be different in other countries, but first-hand experience at retail for several years in the US says it's not like that here. People trade in used, buy used, and only buy the biggest AAA new. There are exceptions, but that's the majority.
  • BladedFalcon - June 13, 2013 3:51 p.m.

So screw the minority then? Who cares if I actually do things right, and contribute to the industry I love the best way that I can? Who cares if that's how I get to play and keep up with games that I like. Right? And EVEN if the majority works like that... Used games have existed for DECADES. This industry managed to thrive and grow just fine with it before, and now, supposedly, they can't because "costs are too high". So how is that our fault? Why not just, y'know make your games cheaper, or manage your budgets better?
  • vent - June 13, 2013 12:57 p.m.

I know. Some of these complaints seem like they're coming from people who are addicted to gaming. But they're not... right?
  • DeeEss - June 13, 2013 4:34 p.m.

Well, no. If you don't have the money to buy a product at full price, it's your right to buy it used from someone else, who has the right to sell it. *That's* how this thing works.
  • JarkayColt - June 13, 2013 10:56 a.m.

Agreed. I actually only ever buy new games, but last year, I think I bought just two retail games. I'm actually finding that I buy more cheap, smaller digital games now, like off PSN and the like. I think a very simple solution to the problem would be to vastly reduce the price of downloadable retail games on the online stores. There is a reason why PC games are so cheap, because most of them are digital only or have certain restrictions. A digital version is a much lower value product because it is not a tangible object you can pass on, nor does it require packaging or shipping or all that gubbins. If digital versions of games were lower priced, all of us skint gamers could buy the "lesser" (figuratively speaking) online version and still be giving all our money to the developers. We'd be able to make our money go further and buy games more frequently (higher turnover for the devs/publishers.) I also don't think this will impact the retail boxed copy because I'm sure people will still want to pay a premium for a physical product. Something has to give here, though, and it's either the retailers or the online stores.
  • wadesmit - June 13, 2013 9:11 a.m.

These E3 episodes are really great, I'm super glad you guys decided to do them. I can't get enough RR. Rdar? RadRad? Radiadar? Basically ShitTheBedCast.
  • alecbeals - June 13, 2013 7:18 a.m.

Good stuff but holy shit Tom your laugh man YOUR LAUGH
  • BlueScorpion91 - June 13, 2013 6:36 a.m.

One of my favourite podcast episodes was this. Tom's laugh is infectuas, lol.
  • sternparez - June 13, 2013 4:45 a.m.

Tom's laugh is annoying!
  • rainn'sgaydar - June 13, 2013 4:08 a.m.

I'm usually not one to complain about people because there are plenty of different personalities and interests on this site. That being said, why does Tom constantly interrupt any Nintendo talk with unrelated, not funny banter? I understand if he isn't interested, but let those of us who care hear what the people who are interested have to say. That's all I ask. I should say that I'm commenting retroactively here because I'm a day behind on the E3 casts. But I feel it should be brought up.
  • 8bitBaby - June 13, 2013 8:47 a.m.

it should be brought up. he's a narcissistic games journalist, who only cares about talking about or listening to information about the games HE is into. I have been noticing this becoming a thing more and more as these podcasts have been going. he shoots down and dismisses almost every game or opinion of a game he's not personally into and absolutely craps on game history. he's just too contrary. it almost feels like it's deliberate but it's annoying. i don't really understand why he's in this line of work if he can't be a well rounded journalist.
  • BlueScorpion91 - June 13, 2013 9:34 a.m.

It's just his personality and views, you can't hate him for having and expressing them.
  • TaserLime - June 13, 2013 10:56 a.m.

it's not expressing his views that is the problem. The problem is the way he expresses his views and that they seem to take precedent over everybody else's opinion, and he's such a smug asshole about his opinions. tetris