We Recommend

• FirLocke - October 15, 2010 8:14 p.m.

Goodbye, Nintendo! Hellooooooooooooooo Sony!
  • 510BrotherPanda - October 13, 2010 7:23 p.m.

Since they are still planning to make DS I don't see what the day-one buyers have to rush for. BUY OKAMIDEN!
  • AWBrawler - October 13, 2010 4:58 p.m.

first off, it won't be $300 here second, $300 is a lot less than $600!
  • Dondada - October 13, 2010 10:19 a.m.

After the PS3 fiasco this one should be a no brainer for Nintendo.
  • HumorTumor - October 13, 2010 3:50 a.m.

He does make sense. Handhelds don't have to stay under the cost of a console. We are just so used to that. But we'll have to see if the $300 is a worthy price for the product when we can at least see more.
  • BazyLastard - October 13, 2010 1:21 a.m.

Nintendo's been on kind of a winning streak the last couple years. I guess all good things must come to an end. I argue much of their success with the Wii came from offer a lower-tech, console that was significantly cheaper than it's high-tech rivals, including the price of its games. Hardcore gamers are going to keep buying consoles regardless of economy, but Nintendo nailed it with the DS and Wii by appealing to non-gamers and casual gamers. A big hurdle for both of those consumer bases is price. This is even truer when it comes to handhelds. One of the biggest appeals for consumers regarding handheld systems is the price. It's the affordable alternative to expensive consoles and $60 new games. Sure, there will probably be many who don't let a $300.00 price tag deter them from buying Nintendo's newest handheld, but there will be many who do. Or let me put it this way, many of the casual non-gamers who paid < $200 for a DS are much less likely to invest in a $300 product. I predict a slow start for the 3DS followed by a sooner-than-expected price drop.
  • Grif - October 13, 2010 12:29 a.m.

I haven't used a handheld in years, however the 3DS was sort of my planned reentry into it. However $300 really just seems like a lot for something I'm not sure about. If it stays on that price I'm going to have to wait and see if it is something I really will use frequently. Then again this is coming from a guy with an iPad so I probably will cave in and (hopefully not) regret it.
  • deathrea - October 13, 2010 12:20 a.m.

I'm prepared to give you my money Nintendo, but you gotta keep the games coming. Hopefully they'll be able to offer demos or something like dsiware.
  • RebornKusabi - October 13, 2010 12:15 a.m.

I really don't give a shit what people who have no concept of money think especially when they compare 3DS to other handhelds on the current market or if their parents buy their consoles. The things the 3DS does, it's specs and the quality (appearance-wise in all honesty of course) of the games... that thing seriously HAS to sell for $300 dollars to accurately recuperate it's costs. It's still a day one purchase for me mostly because I honestly had a feeling that it was going to cost this much to begin with. Also, if you compare this handheld's cost to what other devices that use 3D cost, you'll see EXACTLY why the 3DS is actually far cheaper than what it would cost... if it was made by Activision lol
  • smloveskittycats - October 12, 2010 11:57 p.m.

Not a problem for me, I'm glad to pay for something with sooooooooooooo much fan service and fun in store. A coo launch bundle would help though.
  • MrDuracraft - October 12, 2010 10:03 p.m.

What Balaska said. This device probably costs much more to make than a DS Lite or DSi considering the impressive hardware. And what GameManiac said about the currency rates. For all we know it could release for 250-275 here. Not a big difference, but $300 is the price point that turns off their intent to buy.
  • keefster - October 12, 2010 9:57 p.m.

Well, considering its 3D-No glasses AND has a 3D Camere (!) for only 300 bucks its a decent price. Nevertheless, 300 dollars, despite being logical, can suck it. I am not paying that much, considering nintendo is gonna release a smaller one, then a bigger one, then a cheaper one, like every month, so model 1 ds can suck it. i am saving for a gaming PC so this poop can go to feces hell.
  • GameManiac - October 12, 2010 9:27 p.m.

Whether it's $300 or not in America (depends on international currency rates), I'm still more concerned if I'll get one when it comes out and not a month or two later.
  • spawny0908 - October 12, 2010 9:19 p.m.

It wasn't high on my list to begin with (especially when my DSi XL isn't even a year old yet). However I think I can wait for a nice price drop as well. Or when there is a game out for it that is just too mind blowing to ignore...
  • abbottfrizzell - October 12, 2010 8:51 p.m.

for a brand new 3D tech. and gaming system that might match the graphics of a Ps1 and/or 2. I think it's worth 250... but then add in semi classics and u get a 300... I will be playing ocarina thank you
  • RAYZOR12 - October 12, 2010 8:51 p.m.

For what the system is doing, I feel like $300 is an alright price. Of course I would like to see that drop, but that will most likely take a while. Instead, I'm going to wait like db1331 when its bundled with some extra stuff. :D
  • Balaska - October 12, 2010 8:50 p.m.

It's a 3D machine that requires no glasses and is portable, how they managed to get the price that low amazes me. Want it :D
  • Haxorz - October 12, 2010 8:28 p.m.

Eh, 300 is a bit much for a handheld that has only 1 joystick, go big or go home I suppose.
  • Baron164 - October 12, 2010 8:25 p.m.

I don't need a poll to tell me $300 is too much for the 3DS. With as little portable gaming I do I don't know when I'll ever get around to getting a 3DS. Maybe when it hits $200 or maybe when it hits $150. I will have to wait and see.
  • CoryRX8 - October 12, 2010 8:23 p.m.

Yeah, the 3DS is too expensive. At $300, this would be the most expensive launch price for a Nintendo console, ever. Of course, the Wii, at $250, WAS the most expensive, and it's also their highest-selling non-portable, so maybe they're on to something. Either that, or their hubris is getting the better of them.