Topics

Microsoft

• StriderHoang - July 22, 2010 11:54 p.m.

I play TF2 on my pc, so I'm not gonna balk at the whole pc superiority thing over pad. It just makes sense on an objective level I think. I WILL say however that most of the videos getting uploaded on Machinima Respawn on Youtube, a channel devoted to FPS's, are almost all console gamers. You'd think a PC gamer would get in one of these days with the perceived skill bar.
  • GamesRadarMatthewKeast - July 22, 2010 11:48 p.m.

Shadowrun had to implement auto-aim on the 360 version because the players couldn't compete with PC players. So, the conundrum is that in order to have a "balanced" play field between console and PC, you force one side to go up against people essentially getting a handicap. Which can't be fun.
  • Jackald - July 22, 2010 11:24 p.m.

Perhaps it's the cost, required initiative to fix problems, higher difficulty of using a Mouse + Keyboard, or the more rooted community, but I always just bump into power-crazed kids when I play console games online. At least on PC, i'm much more likely to bump into some hilarious chaps from Bristol, and then play a round of TF2 with them after a trip down to the pub. You just don't get that sort of atmosphere on the consoles. On the consoles, communication is via psn or xbl, and is restricted mostly to microphones. You have to be about to play a game to talk, most times. Why else would you really turn the console on, save for an activity. On PC, you get that whole "Was just browsing the internet when I wondered if you'd be up for a game!" feeling. You also don't get dedicated servers. There are a number of servers i frequent and, much like a friendly pub, each has its regulars, right characters, hilarious antics, and fun times. Modding is also important. It's great to be able to hop into a game of Garry's Mod, where me and some mates have modified a Racing mod with custom skins and sounds for our server, and are laughing as our exclusive VIP horns make in-jokes and other such nonesense. That's how I see PC gaming. PC gaming feels like a street where every server is a Pub. You get your dodgy pubs, serious pubs, pubs for the furries, pubs for the eccentrics, pubs for gays, pubs for every race, class, creed or walk of life, but there's always a consistent, easy-to-talk-to situation to walk into somewhere. Console gaming just feels like a mad scramble, where people muffle low-quality commands to each other, denouncing each and every competitor as a noob, hacker, pwner or other words that PC gamers have been using for over a decade. Sure you get people being friends, but it's all party driven. It's like walking around town with a group of friends, walking into any old place and deciding to have a pint, no matter where it is you've settled. If PC gaming is a warm friendly pub, then Console gaming is a busy, stressful shopping centre. I'm 16 years old, and I've been PC gaming since I was 5, and online since I was 8, and i've never felt more welcomed by strangers.
  • Brett35 - July 22, 2010 11:18 p.m.

I would love console and cpu I im stubborn so I still think console players would win but Id like to try it out at least when you play a game choose xbox only or a mix of xbox and cpu
  • crumbdunky - July 22, 2010 11:09 p.m.

For starters there are certainly more "noobs"(hate the term)on consoles but the BIG issue is the keyboard and mouse controls. I'm a hell of a lot better as a player with a mouse but prefer the level playing field of online console gaming as nearly everyone has the same tech and same controller(I also get sick of trying to find an edge in PC shooters by always having to have the best, newest mouse/keyboard for gaming-my mates call it the arms race!)and I feel a kill there is more based on how good I am rather than how much better my set up is. No doubt the controller and noob issue makes the PC gamer SEEM ore talented and i'm sure there are a ton of really good PC gamers who through years of dedication have become brilliant but there's no way that they have a God given talent advantage over all console gamers it's just that a lot ore console gamers are newer to gaming. I remember one day playing Ut3 on PS3 in a mixed controller and mouse game and t was obvious who had the controllers as they got mullered! Thing is a mouse is TOO good in some ways as you do things better and more quickly than an actual person EVER could never mind a pad! Another reason I'm now playing all my shooters with a pad as I find it a bit harder and more immersive. You can never have an equal game between pad and mouse gamers, though, never. I imagine the average PS shooter player will have been gaming longer, mind, than the average 360owner and possibly specialising on one genre longer as well.
  • gamingfreak - July 22, 2010 10:59 p.m.

I would become a PC gamer but I don't have the money or the knowledge to build a good rig.
  • hardcore_gamer1990 - July 22, 2010 10:57 p.m.

nuno004 has a point. Best way to improve is to lose repeatedly. But yeah, I'm not suprised. I'm an average console gamer, play probably about 12-20 hours over a week, but I don't do online FPS that often, so when I DO go online I get dominated. I presume the number of hours PC gamers rack up online are way more than some of the most hardcore Bad Company or CoD players, so they're obviously going to be more advanced. Oh, and the controls would have an effect, too.
  • Gnome - July 22, 2010 10:54 p.m.

@Tygerclaws Two control schemes that have never interacted before? You do know most PC games have controller supports? And some people enjoy using them. I enjoy mine for Mirror's Edge.
  • gigiosantos - July 22, 2010 10:53 p.m.

@tygerclaws U mad cuz i be stylin' on yo consoles.
  • AndyGiff93 - July 22, 2010 10:52 p.m.

Shadowrun? Yeah it wasn't a massive success (though I think it's still a really fun online shooter), it did allow PC vs 360 multiplayer. Just seems to have been ignored...
  • nuno004 - July 22, 2010 10:46 p.m.

I think this would be a good idea to pit PC and console gamers together online because you never get better at any game until you find someone better than you who completely pwns you and in a few months console gamer could be considered better
  • Tygerclaws - July 22, 2010 10:44 p.m.

My level of care? Zero. Who honestly CARES whether or not PC gamers can shoot better in competitive gaming? It. Doesn't. Matter. Have FUN, for Dagon's sake! Besides, you're talking about two completely different control schemes that have never interacted before, and you're not taking into account the lag that would occur between the two servers.
  • AnonymouZ - July 22, 2010 10:42 p.m.

true gamers know this is truth. casual gamers like ninjadev just "ew" at this revelation. i must say tho... i do have the most fun on Bad Company on the ps3 than i have on Counter Strike on pc. I guess it IS because of that noob ration... like crabby above says.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - July 22, 2010 10:41 p.m.

Define "mediocre". But anyway, PCs are definitely more suited to FPSs than consoles for people who know how to use the controls. A mouse can do things much easier than a stick. I would probably prefer PCs if I had the time to master the controls or the money to buy a good rig.
  • GamesRadarMichaelGrimm - July 22, 2010 10:37 p.m.

@ Crabhand Agreed. Glad you got the point of the article too, I'm not trying to troll here. I agree about SC2, been playing the Beta for weeks and I'm still getting walloped by the PC on anything higher than easy. I'm eager to see if the influx of new players will lower the general difficulty of learning the game, or if they'll get stomped on and just give up.
  • IAmARobotWhoTurnsIntoATruckAndIFindNoLevityInThis - July 22, 2010 10:34 p.m.

the answer actually WAS what you would think
  • Crabhand - July 22, 2010 10:31 p.m.

That's an interesting prospect. I've always felt I perform better on console FPS titles than on PC versions, and it may very well be a higher "noob" population on consoles. As far as PC players being more competitive, it actually leads to the reason I'm kinda "eh" about Starcraft 2. It simply requires too much skill and dedicated time to even have a chance of winning online matches, but most console games it boils down to "do you have a basic understanding of the controls? Go nuts!" Console and PC gamers are not on equal footing, but I agree with you on the point of why. Control schemes are obviously different, but the accessibility of consoles may lend to increased "noob" population.
  • Thuperman - July 22, 2010 10:31 p.m.

Whoa slow down there man, i will agree that a mouse and keyboard setup is more detailed in control to that of a console controller, but that doesnt mean that console gamers arent competitive and are only casual gamers.
  • Shrody - July 22, 2010 10:28 p.m.

This is not news